More tax rises being slipped in

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL How about knob size. I'd be quids in there. Bill Gates named a company after mine.

What the general public sees is a different picture though? They see the Promenade, they see horse tram expenditure, they see the Richmond Hill surfacing cock up, they see illiteracy in painting

Baker should walk for this or even be sacked. Such crass insensitivity at a time when people have lost their jobs and many families are on the bread-line; his inability to capture the public mood and

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I totally agree just like in Norway....BUT......how do you charge the electric road users?

With a plug. Har har.

Should we charge them? If we're trying to incentivise certain behaviours, like driving electric vehicles, I'm OK with them not being taxed.

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Which one?

Just the overall diameter, I shall give an example below :

13 inch - £18

14 inch - £36

15 inch - £74

16 inch - £148

17 inch - £296

18 inch - £370

19 inch - £444

20 inch - £518

21 inch - £592

22 inch - £666

23 inch + £1000

• Like 1
4 hours ago, pongo said:

I'm totally onboard with quickly and completely moving normal driving to electric (and getting everyone off oil and gas central heating too with similar taxes).

But here's a question for car experts: How the heck are we ever practically going to replace the genuine need for big diesel 4x4s - i.e. where there is a genuine use case - such as towing a boat trailer, on the farm etc?

School run!

8 hours ago, finlo said:

Er, it wasn't my choice to keep on ramping up the price outstripping that of the UK.

There was a time not so long ago when we were half the price!

Also given that we've also got only 500 miles of road. I'm not including the Promenade.

17 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Why on earth would you expect to be able to tax a bike for 6 months?

Lots of vehicles would get laid up, sports cars and the like.

12 hours ago, pongo said:

It would make much more sense for Britain including the IOM in concert to scrap vehicle tax completely and to make back the lost revenue by increasing fuel duty.

Politically it makes sense not to tax electric vehicles at all for the moment - to further encourage an economy around their rapid adoption (including manufacturing, technology, infrastructure etc - all of which are net postive for the economy).

The only issue with this is it will penalize rural communities in the UK

12 hours ago, pongo said:

I'm totally onboard with quickly and completely moving normal driving to electric (and getting everyone off oil and gas central heating too with similar taxes).

But here's a question for car experts: How the heck are we ever practically going to replace the genuine need for big diesel 4x4s - i.e. where there is a genuine use case - such as towing a boat trailer, on the farm etc?

Land Rover totally electric from 2025...

This whole thing is an unnecessary nonsense. It’s one area where simply adopting the UK model, and rates would save a huge amount of bureaucracy. It’s being different for no practical reason

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Lots of vehicles would get laid up, sports cars and the like.

The only issue with this is it will penalize rural communities in the UK

Land Rover totally electric from 2025...

This whole thing is an unnecessary nonsense. It’s one area where simply adopting the UK model, and rates would save a huge amount of bureaucracy. It’s being different for no practical reason

I'm conscious people lay up vehicles but that is their choice.  Doesn't mean they shouldn't pay.  I've got several motorbikes and it's 25 quid a year.    I think if £12.50 or £25 is a deal breaker then bikes  are not for you.

Same with sports and classic cars really.  Classic tax is next to nothing.  And if you have a decent enough sports car and you're paranoid about driving it in a bit of dodgy weather then perhaps it isnt for you if the tax seems expensive.

51 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

I'm conscious people lay up vehicles but that is their choice.  Doesn't mean they shouldn't pay.  I've got several motorbikes and it's 25 quid a year.    I think if £12.50 or £25 is a deal breaker then bikes  are not for you.

Same with sports and classic cars really.  Classic tax is next to nothing.  And if you have a decent enough sports car and you're paranoid about driving it in a bit of dodgy weather then perhaps it isnt for you if the tax seems expensive.

I know folk with millions of quids worth of sports cars, who would SORN them all over the winter if they could. 

They haven’t got to the position in life of being able to buy this sort of stuff by being frivolous with cash. 

54 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Have you seen the highest band of tax?

£550 vs £250 is a big leap, for absolutely no benefit if it is parked up anyway. As Derek said, wealthy people tend to stay wealthy by not wasting money  

Bikes are more of an exception as they changed it down to a flat rate, benefitting all but 125 owners. Don’t give them ideas of charging £100 a year for bigger bikes again like the UK does. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I know folk with millions of quids worth of sports cars, who would SORN them all over the winter if they could. 

They haven’t got to the position in life of being able to buy this sort of stuff by being frivolous with cash. 

Sorry, are you trying to make a case for people who are minted will millions of quid worth of sports cars not to pay a bit of road tax?

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Sorry, are you trying to make a case for people who are minted will millions of quid worth of sports cars not to pay a bit of road tax?

Why should you pay if it's not being used? It's just a case rinsing them because you think they are able to afford it!