Unwise Chief Constable statement?

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I do understand your point 3 but I still don't think it covers it. Are you not getting into the subject of ageism there.

Let's say a person retires at 58. Has a couple of years but them circumstances change (say patrney dies).  He wants a job and goes for a government (or statutory board) job. They have the skills and no previous conflict/advanatage. Why would they be discriminated against. It would not be right.

If no one ( except genuine health reasons ) was allowed to take their lump sum and draw down their pension before 67 there isn’t an issue. They can leave, take a sabbatical, rejoin, etc.

• Like 1
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don’t get me wrong Derek. I see lots of some aspects of Police work. Don’t envy anyone in the job.  Three things. My personal views. 1. No-one should be allowed to retire from public service

Yes yes, that’s exactly what it was.    (it wasn’t). 

Let's face it, the last few governments have brought our beautiful home down to close to rock bottom and still they spend OUR cash on vanity projects, massive overburden of govt. and CS  for what is a

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I do understand your point 3 but I still don't think it covers it. Are you not getting into the subject of ageism there.

Let's say a person retires at 58. Has a couple of years but them circumstances change (say patrney dies).  He wants a job and goes for a government (or statutory board) job. They have the skills and no previous conflict/advanatage. Why would they be discriminated against. It would not be right.

Not really.

A simple rule of the scheme would be that once you have taken benefit you cannot accrue further entitlement.  Dont forget, they are in receipt of a pension that is already heavily subsidised by the tax payer.  They are then receiving a further tax payer funded salary and accumulating further pension entitlement to be largely funded by the tax payer.  I cant see how you can defend that.

3 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Not really.

A simple rule of the scheme would be that once you have taken benefit you cannot accrue further entitlement.  Dont forget, they are in receipt of a pension that is already heavily subsidised by the tax payer.  They are then receiving a further tax payer funded salary and accumulating further pension entitlement to be largely funded by the tax payer.  I cant see how you can defend that.

I'm not defending it. I am just stating the complications that would ensue. 

You have to remember that some people take CC jobs on lower pay but counter that with the benefit of the pensions. Not really that easy to just pull the rug out from under them because you don't like it. I don't imagine you would welcome a sudden change in your life plans just because someone has underestimated the cost of something. I am not sympathising with the big earners, but not all CC staff are thus.

What I don't understand is why the terms for new joiners are just as generous. Surely something akin to JW's suggested could have been built in years ago.

2 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Not really.

In most circumstances you can’t take another pension, although I’m pretty sure that is unlawful

9 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

In most circumstances you can’t take another pension, although I’m pretty sure that is unlawful

i think you can start a new pension. The only limitations are on those who have taken voluntary redundancy as far as I know.

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

i think you can start a new pension. The only limitations are on those who have taken voluntary redundancy as far as I know.

They wouldn’t let me at the hospital. I think it changed after then