• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Find it fascinating how much of an uproar this has caused while Prince "He who cannot sweat" is mooching about still noshing a 10" deep dish

He said what we’re all thinking. “Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government”

The whole thing is bollocks from start to finish. A fully produced and scripted interview with each line crafted for effect by Hollywood P.R. agents and lawyers; all directed, choreographed, costumed,

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

@manxman1980 Much is made of the examples of racism which you quote, supposedly committed by the royal family. They are all pretty minor and blown out of all proportion by the media. In the case of the last one, if one of your family was marrying someone of the opposite colour, I'm absolutely sure that you would be asking pretty much the same question within your own family. I don't see that as an inappropriate thing to ask anyone? 

I wouldn't give a toss what colour any family member of mine was.  The prime concern is that they are healthy and loved. 

Would you not agree?  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

I wouldn't give a toss what colour any family member of mine was.  The prime concern is that they are healthy and loved. 

Would you not agree?  

Of course that's the prime concern, but you'd be lying to yourself if you were not curious as to what colour the baby might be. That's not being racist, that would be a normal thought if one partner had mixed race origins. 

8 hours ago, Max Power said:

Of course that's the prime concern, but you'd be lying to yourself if you were not curious as to what colour the baby might be. That's not being racist, that would be a normal thought if one partner had mixed race origins. 

I don't think the thought would cross my mind.  Why would it?

Max, you are the sum of the five people who you mix with the most. 

I promise you, that not only do I not care, it also would not have even entered my head to care or to enquire. It’s a baby. That’s all I need to know.

Instead of insisting you are right, why not just accept that there is a section of society that doesn’t give a monkeys. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Max, you are the sum of the five people who you mix with the most. 

I promise you, that not only do I not care, it also would not have even entered my head to care or to enquire. It’s a baby. That’s all I need to know.

Instead of insisting you are right, why not just accept that there is a section of society that doesn’t give a monkeys. 

So Roxy, you wouldn't even ask what colour hair that your family member's child has, or the colour of their eyes? 

The point I'm trying to make is that questions such as this are bound to be asked within families, it's nothing to do with being racist, whatever that means these days!

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, Max Power said:

It doesn’t particularly concern me, but amongst others there is definitely a natural curiosity to know which features a baby might have ie daddies hair, mummy’s nose, daddies eyes etc

I have heard other mixed race families talk about it, not so much out of curiosity but actual desire and I’ve known someone deliberately date someone else based on their skin tone in the hope it produced their dream ‘ideal’ skin tone baby. As expected their relationship didn’t last that long, but the baby was the beautiful tanned colour that the mother so desperately wanted (thankfully, it’s not like you can swap out or get a refund).

Majority of families just accept whatever happens naturally, their only wish is for a happy and healthy baby.

Lots of different issues are being mixed together in this debate.  I'm having a bit of difficulty untangling them.  I'm basically a republican.  I think the idea of an inherited head of state is entirely anachronistic and think it is close to immoral in this day to create frustrated young people eternally condemned to small talk, ceremonial uniforms and pageants acting as clothes pegs for sellers of certain fashions or gossip; there must be a better way to organise the dignified part of our not very efficient constitution. 

It takes a special type of repressed dullness to survive in such a position, which the Queen has mastered to a tea, while Philip even now occasionally lets his frustrations show and the mask of duty slip to display a mind angered by a lifetime of politeness and diffidence.  Their children and grandchildren are perfect exemplars of why this system is entirely unsuitable for the modern world.

Now the issue of race.  Oh goodness.  In a simpler age the question of whether you were still beating your wife was seen as the perfect way to character assassination, now a far more insidious question looms: is your family still racist?

That is the j'accuse of Oprah and Megan. Perfectly calibrated, for how can an anglo-saxon dynasty respond when such a question is levelled by two heroines of the struggle for racial equality?

I do want to take a short diversion to discuss why did they choose Oprah to choreograph the circus?  - she hasn't been a chat show host in nearly a generation.  That isn't the reason.  Now, she's a producer, a backroom fixer and deal maker who knows exactly how to contract every last cent out a deal.  One thing you can't say about the Sussexes is that they aren't savvy in their media contacts.

So, here we have poor William tearfully struck almost dumb by the implied question - Is your family still racist? - struggling to justify his choked response "very much not racist".

He knows he can't win this one.

Accusations of racism are a terrible symptom of our emoting age and intersectionality and other fads make it impossible for someone so accused to defend themselves - watch this youtube video of someone explaining why.

Manxman1980 seems to have strongly drunk the coolaid in this one; and I am a bit at a loss how to respond to him.  He seems all in favour of the inherited sin of racism and is quite happy to use who someone's father was, or to interpret their actions in the most crass way possible, to condemn them of one of the worst social crimes our society has.

Let's just take the example of Princess Michael of Kent.  Now I have no idea of this woman's personal opinions and I am highly doubtful anyone else reading this does either.  But there is no doubt if the revolution came and a struggle session was demanded we know what the mob would do with her and Manxman1980 clearly agrees with this mob.

Princess Michael of Kent wore a broach - a racist broach says Manxman1980. Erm, I thought.  What makes a broach racist?  So I investigated.  A broach from Venice, respectfully and proudly portraying the reality that moors captured initially as slaves were freed, became prominent members of Venetian society and founded dynasties of trading princes amassing untold wealth.  Is it wrong to celebrate the reality of this?

Genuinely what makes this broach racist?

1018316866.jpg?precrop=2447,1060,x0,y397

Is the simple portrayal of a black person racist?  Is it meant to make it more or less racist that the black person is portrayed as successful and wealthy?

Is it racist of Venice to be proud of these Black Princes, and over hundreds of years continue to make beautiful and expensive art portraying their success?

A beautiful and expensive work of art showing a person, the offspring of slaves, who has through their own efforts become a prince and symbol of success in what was then one of the world's most successful trading cities.  This is racist is it?

Oh goodness.  What a mess our society is making of race.

You cannot state this broach is racist without adding to it motives that do not exist within the broach, but are implied by the person viewing it.  Why did Princess Michael wear this broach?  For the likes of Manxman1980 it is simple, because she is a racist; and I suspect it would be impossible for this woman to say anything which could defend her from that accusation.

It is a fait accompli and of course her dad was a Nazi so that just proves she's bad.

Martin Luther King: I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

Many a follower of intersectionality would reject that.  They would judge some sociologically racist simply from the position they hold within society.  Such views are in my humble opinion pernicious and need to be challenged.  We are all flawed human beings; and my goodness does this little family spat involve flawed human beings on both sides, but one has the advantage of the word racist to make their point.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Max Power said:

So Roxy, you wouldn't even ask what colour hair that your family member's child has, or the colour of their eyes? 

The point I'm trying to make is that questions such as this are bound to be asked within families, it's nothing to do with being racist, whatever that means these days!

I think most people who have read my posts over the years knows my children are mixed race.  My wife and I joked before she went into Nobles that if she was presented a baby who didn't have brown eyes she'd know there had been a mix up.

We still lament we haven't got all the grandparents genetically tested, as our first little bundle of love amazed us and proved us wrong by having the most beautiful baby green eyes.

The silk road is a complex genetic path and who knows what genes allowed two people from either ends of it to defy the Punnett squares dominant and recessive genetic determinism, but we discussed it both before and after our children were born.  Doing so is in my view entirely understandable and no sign of the racist's mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2