Anyone else having problems with MT broadband this morning?

CallMeCurious

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

I had to basicslly fit mine myself while the two intrepid installers watched agog

I got the impression they are training people on the job. It took four of them (two to watch) jot ust fix the outside line. 

• Like 1

I have too been through the installation woes of other posters, but stick with it, the end result is great, if a little over priced. I live in the sticks and beforehand the broadband download speeds were pitifully slow with regular dropouts. Since fibre has been installed it has been as fast as advertised with not one dropout. As AC posted, I also recommend installing a MESH network - seamless and fast.  

2 hours ago, Apple said:

I got the impression they are training people on the job. It took four of them (two to watch) jot ust fix the outside line. 

Yes they definitely will be, they advertised for trainee Fibre installers as part of a big recruitment drive in October/November with a view to start in January, can’t remember the exact number of positions but I think it was around 20.

Edited by Annoymouse

16 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

What's a MESH network? Does it cost much?

Mesh networks are basically posh boosters.

You get one that plugs into your router, and 1 or more auxillary ones that you can distribute around the house. They talk back to the main one, usually with better antenna than phones/laptops have to give you good Wi-Fi throughout.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Wi-Fi is hard in a lot of older houses, newer ones too. Turns out foil backed insulation is basically a faraday cage, and that Wi-Fi doesn't go too well through thick slate walls.

Drill Bits Buying Guide | Lowe's

image.jpeg.faf3c70b7b2c0316f260eaa5a6ca359e.jpeg

image.jpeg.a7651d2c1187b633ad785a179f5a4b06.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

That’s a 2.4Ghz Mesh system which will only give you usable Wi-Fi speeds of around 80Mbps (Meg). Your fibre will run much faster than that so your Wi-Fi will be slowing everything down.

You should look for a 5Ghz Wi-Fi system instead. 

14 hours ago, Apple said:

Even with fibre still experiencing drop outs.

At least now they don't last as long. 

Still not worth all the kerfuffle. 

Fibre doesn't "drop out" it doesn't have the same characteristics as copper.

If you are Wireless and taking the status of the email server connection via pop3 or something, that's not a continuous connection and will disconnect from the server periodically. Your router will have a connection uptime in the logs should you wish to see the length of time your broadband connection has been up.

15 hours ago, Apple said:

via Wi Fi.

Can't send emails.

Receive notification of drop out on desk top.

When it drops out on the desktop, is web browsing etc affected too?

Does the network still show as connected in the corner with the Wi-Fi icon? If you’re on Windows, you can click that and click properties, or if you’re on a Mac, click it whilst holding the alt key. 

Either way, that’ll bringing you to where you can see a speed in Mbps, that’s usually indicative of your relative signal strength to the router. You’ll also spot whether it is using 802.11g, n or ac and whether it’s using 2.4 or 5Ghz. 

Generally, with wifi issues, especially with desktops, the cheap, easy solution is a pair of powerline adapters. One plugs in near the router, the other near your desktop. It gives you a hardwired Ethernet connection using the electrical wiring. 

Depending on your fibre package, and the wifi capability of your desktop, which the instructions above give you, you may also not be getting the full benefits of the fibre package on that desktop because of the Wi-Fi, but that’ll be clearer once you know the wifi connection speed. 

• Thanks 1