Anyone else having problems with MT broadband this morning?

CallMeCurious

2 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Generally, with wifi issues, especially with desktops, the cheap, easy solution is a pair of powerline adapters. One plugs in near the router, the other near your desktop. It gives you a hardwired Ethernet connection using the electrical wiring.

Some good info in your post there AC. Can you provide a link to suitable powerline adaptors I can purchase please. 

9 hours ago, Terminal said:

That’s a 2.4Ghz Mesh system which will only give you usable Wi-Fi speeds of around 80Mbps (Meg). Your fibre will run much faster than that so your Wi-Fi will be slowing everything down.

You should look for a 5Ghz Wi-Fi system instead. 

Even so, 80Mbps ain't to be sneezed at if you're not getting that now about the house. But point taken.

5 minutes ago, quilp said:

Some good info in your post there AC. Can you provide a link to suitable powerline adaptors I can purchase please. 

Either of these are what I'd usually suggest. Note that they work best if they're plugged directly into the socket on the wall, and they don't work at all in surge protectors, hence the passthrough models.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Required-UK/dp/B01BECPIMC

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010PKIT-Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration-Required/dp/B01G5Q9E0O

These ones will only give you a wired connection at the other end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, quilp said:

The usefulness of powering adapters depends very much on the electrical wiring in your house.

Modern house with one fuse box = all good

Older house with old wiring that has been added to over the years = potential nightmare.

11 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

The usefulness of powering adapters depends very much on the electrical wiring in your house.

Modern house with one fuse box = all good

Older house with old wiring that has been added to over the years = potential nightmare.

I've found the modern ones to be pretty resilient, even on ancient and quite shoddy wiring.

The earlier models were definitely more questionable.

2 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Either of these are what I'd usually suggest. Note that they work best if they're plugged directly into the socket on the wall, and they don't work at all in surge protectors, hence the passthrough models.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Required-UK/dp/B01BECPIMC

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010PKIT-Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration-Required/dp/B01G5Q9E0O

These ones will only give you a wired connection at the other end.

Maybe okay with fibre. 

But in many cases the interference which those create will stop a Fritz!box VDSL router from syncing.

Edit: meaning that the actual internet connection will constantly fail/reconnect/fail/reconnect etc

Edited by pongo

3 minutes ago, pongo said:

Maybe okay with fibre. 

But in many cases the interference which those create will stop a Fritz!box VDSL router from syncing.

I've used powerline in a number of properties in conjunction with VDSL and VDSL2 for about 7 or 8 years now. The Fritzbox I had actually could tell me the sync speeds and names of the powerline kit that was plugged into it too.

It seems to vary on circumstances as to whether it poses a problem.

It's not one I've seen before, but it's useful to know.

3 hours ago, quilp said:

Quilp, just call if you need some advice on these devices.

Edited by Sentience
  • Thanks 1