Cretter's Column

Max Power

9 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Jesus. It’s like the lion’s den in here.

I don’t know anything about the man except his cheery face when he served me in Moochers,or when I saw him out running through the day. I don’t know what kind of politician he was but even if he was the worst, I’m not sure he’s deserving of the bile he’s getting on here.

Maybe writing a column was a life long dream? Maybe the papers begged him to do it. Who knows, but why use all the stuff from his past to judge him in his present. It’s not very fair and it’s not something any of us would wish to happen for ourselves.

I’m going to search for his column now and see what it’s like. I probably should have done that before I offered advice. 😊

His cheery face serving you in mooches was because he was getting paid by you as a tax payer while he was serving you in the shop and lining his pocket.  
He has the time to walk and jog around the island all these years because he got paid whether he did anything or not for over 30 years, plus he learnt putting photos of his wanders got him lots of ooohs and aaahs. 
interesting that he writes about shit and rubbish, it’s his best topic

There are some great characters who could write interesting commentary on the island Cretney is not one of them

what next Karran wisdom!

• Like 3

On 3/27/2021 at 8:48 PM, buncha wankas said:

His cheery face serving you in mooches was because he was getting paid by you as a tax payer while he was serving you in the shop and lining his pocket.  
He has the time to walk and jog around the island all these years because he got paid whether he did anything or not for over 30 years, plus he learnt putting photos of his wanders got him lots of ooohs and aaahs. 
interesting that he writes about shit and rubbish, it’s his best topic

There are some great characters who could write interesting commentary on the island Cretney is not one of them

what next Karran wisdom!

Maybe HRH The Chief Minister could be IOM Newspapers Agony ‘Aunt’ dealing with the Great Manx Public’s Problems.

Tim Baker could write a column on potholes and traffic watch.

Ashie on Medical Matters, ably assisted by Henny.

Edited by 2112
  • Haha 2

In today’s Cret Column, he reminisces about the good old days of the Manx music scene. Next week he will remembering fondly old Manx music hall and comedy varieties, particularly the monthly ones once a month at Tynpotwald. #Knees up Mother Brown# #Has anyone seen Kelly ..........# .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

In Cretters latest column it’s beggining to look like a Manx Labour Party propaganda leaflet and election advertorial. Part reminisce and throw in some politics, and some faces of bygone era, and if the said characters lived on say one of Douglas Councils estates in Central Douglas, then bingo you have a winning combination of old people and granny farming combo. 

It’s great being a Manx Establishment figure, having the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece at your disposal to spout total bullshit, and to have a totally desperate local newspaper trying to fill column inches with news. Sadly it’s journalists are unable to find said news and are afraid to indulge in proper journalism, due to its links with the Manx Establishment. Don’t rock the boat! So to fill a page, a retired politician from a bygone era, like the Jurassic Era is given a free reign to talk about the people, the politics and any other useless guff. When is he going to be talking about Moochers? 

As the news situation is rather dire, in the run up to the General Election perhaps all the sitting candidates are given a column for views and opinions? Fairness in a modern society. Or are IOM newspapers aligned to the Manx Labour Party, like the Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror and the People?

Perha

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

In Cretters latest column it’s beggining to look like a Manx Labour Party propaganda leaflet and election advertorial. Part reminisce and throw in some politics, and some faces of bygone era, and if the said characters lived on say one of Douglas Councils estates in Central Douglas, then bingo you have a winning combination of old people and granny farming combo. 

It’s great being a Manx Establishment figure, having the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece at your disposal to spout total bullshit, and to have a totally desperate local newspaper trying to fill column inches with news. Sadly it’s journalists are unable to find said news and are afraid to indulge in proper journalism, due to its links with the Manx Establishment. Don’t rock the boat! So to fill a page, a retired politician from a bygone era, like the Jurassic Era is given a free reign to talk about the people, the politics and any other useless guff. When is he going to be talking about Moochers? 

As the news situation is rather dire, in the run up to the General Election perhaps all the sitting candidates are given a column for views and opinions? Fairness in a modern society. Or are IOM newspapers aligned to the Manx Labour Party, like the Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror and the People?

Perha

I important thing to remember here is that no one is forcing you to read it.

Most people don't read it.  If it bothers you that much why do you read it? Just seems bizarre.

1 minute ago, TerryFuchwit said:

I important thing to remember here is that no one is forcing you to read it.

Most people don't read it.  If it bothers you that much why do you read it? Just seems bizarre.

Yes your quite correct.

Unfortunately if you want to know what’s going on you have to buy a newspaper. 

With DJ Cretters inane ramblings and Manx Labour Party Propaganda the natural home for his newspaper column is the Courier. It doesn’t get delivered and can be found littering the back lanes of Douglas.

• Like 1

So what? It's an opinion piece in the paper - it's his opinion.

I think that the new look Labour Party needs to distance itself from the old establishment figures like Cretney if it wants change. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Declan said:

So what? It's an opinion piece in the paper - it's his opinion.

I think that the new look Labour Party needs to distance itself from the old establishment figures like Cretney if it wants change. 

For an opinion I would rather read the Editors column. Cretters column is nothing but a blatant party propaganda free advertorial, subsidised at by general advertising rates. Why bother with printing leaflets from the Copy Shop, when you can have freebies. Local Journalists like Paul Speller do a wonderful job as a columnist, (sometimes satirical, sarcasm and light humour without causing offence) a very good read, and not ramming MLP propaganda down your throat. 

15 minutes ago, 2112 said:

For an opinion I would rather read the Editors column. Cretters column is nothing but a blatant party propaganda free advertorial, subsidised at by general advertising rates. Why bother with printing leaflets from the Copy Shop, when you can have freebies. Local Journalists like Paul Speller do a wonderful job as a columnist, (sometimes satirical, sarcasm and light humour without causing offence) a very good read, and not ramming MLP propaganda down your throat. 

You do realise that when you buy a newspaper you are quite st liberty not to read unappealing articles?   I subscribe to a magazine.  I don't like everything in it so I read the bits I do like.

21 minutes ago, Declan said:

Stop buying the paper then. Or just not read it - you don't have to agree with every opinion writer.

I don’t buy it. I’ll read it if someone else buys it. With the shite passing as journalism and its lack of circulation it’s a matter of time before the newspaper ceases. At one time it’s production was printed here. Now it’s off island. How long before IOMG subsidises the newspapers even more - more advertising and general COVID bullshit  - hand washing! I’m sure people will be happy. A people’s newspaper,

17 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

You do realise that when you buy a newspaper you are quite st liberty not to read unappealing articles?   I subscribe to a magazine.  I don't like everything in it so I read the bits I do like.

So true - I only ever read page 3 of the Sun.

• Thanks 1