3 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

I dont think we have a society full of men hell bent on raping or dehumanising women.

So,, as usual, we end up in this situation we find ourselves in so often these days.  Be that about race, sexuality whatever.

Which is an enormous over the top reaction  about what amounts to a very very small proportion of the population.

Nobody is saying society is full of them, but there are enough of them that it's a problem, when it's happening to so many women on a daily basis.

If you have fringes reinforced by views or behaviours, they're more likely to act out. Think of the little things people say to you as a child that stick with you for life.

Take an extreme example and look at people like red pill folks and self-described incels (involuntary celibates). They have vicious cycles of behaviour and belief reinforced, essentially convinced that women owe them sex and they are being deprived by 'alpha males'. Some of them are probably the result of other support systems failing them, finding solace in a community that they feel understands them and they can find belonging with.

Attacking people and saying everyone is a rapist won't change things, it isn't helpful. But encouraging people to have a bit of empathy and introspection will do absolutely no harm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem with all this type of campaigning based on single high profile cases is that it overlooks the blindingly obvious. It’s not the sex, disability, gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity or religi

Men are not the problem. Abusers, rapists and those that sexually harass are the problem. The fact that the majority of these are men, does not make men the problem per se. If that were true, all men

Posted Images

A friend of mine is a friend of Sarah’s family and from all accounts (I’ve yet to see an official post from the family) they don’t want any of this nonsense, they want Sarah remembered for who she was, what she believed in and certainly not have her death used as some sort of feminist movement.

1 hour ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Wow, what an amazing coincidence. Incredible. 

I was as surprised as you are, it came up on my Facebook newsfeed when she first went missing as we have mutual friends, is there many others claiming to know them? I’ve no reason to disbelieve what she is saying.

Violence and sex crimes against women. It appears that in Western culture the jury is out on whether legalised prostitution reduces the incidence of crimes of violence, sexual assault, rape, etc. The statistics gathered from some countries tell conflicting stories although most sources indicate a reduction in the crime rate.

Is this an appropriate time to consider legalising the trade?

My opinion is that it should've been legalised decades ago and the most vocal objections eminate from subjective, morally-based sources, religious types etc...

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, quilp said:

Violence and sex crimes against women. It appears that in Western culture the jury is out on whether legalised prostitution reduces the incidence of crimes of violence, sexual assault, rape, etc. The statistics gathered from some countries tell conflicting stories although most sources indicate a reduction in the crime rate.

My opinion is that it should've been legalised decades ago and the most vocal objections eminate from subjective, morally-based sources, religious types etc...

Properly run and regulated brothels would be a far safer environment for the women to ply their trade

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/15/2021 at 8:18 PM, Declan said:

Not all men, is the new all lives matter.

It's been of some amusement to me that the same people who felt victimised by the slogan "Black Lives Matter" now seem to feel victimsed by people suggesting that men disproportionately commit sex crimes.

No doubt they're the same people who bleat about others being "professional victims" whenever someone has an actual grievance, too.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, HeliX said:

It's been of some amusement to me that the same people who felt victimised by the slogan "Black Lives Matter" now seem to feel victimsed by people suggesting that men disproportionately commit sex crimes.

No doubt they're the same people who bleat about others being "professional victims" whenever someone has an actual grievance, too.

The common theme with all the above is that the perpetrators are a tiny percentage of the population yet everyone can easily feel it is aimed at them.

7 hours ago, HeliX said:

The same people? Are you keeping spreadsheets on all of this?

2 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

The common theme with all the above is that the perpetrators are a tiny percentage of the population yet everyone can easily feel it is aimed at them.

I didn't feel like either movement was aimed at me.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, quilp said:

As the recent popular T.V. series Harlots reminds us, brothels or 'bawdy houses' were common in Georgian England. The question of legalisation today though is one that many liberals blanch at. It would certainly make the streets safer for a lot of women, save lives and provide a measure of regulation, control and oversight. There are useful precedents: The practice of bare knuckle fighting was effectively abolished in Britain with the institution of the sport of boxing - a sport that many women now enjoy and partake in.  

12 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

As the recent popular T.V. series Harlots reminds us, brothels or 'bawdy houses' were common in Georgian England. The question of legalisation today though is one that many liberals blanch at. It would certainly make the streets safer for a lot of women, save lives and provide a measure of regulation, control and oversight. There are useful precedents: The practice of bare knuckle fighting was effectively abolished in Britain with the institution of the sport of boxing - a sport that many women now enjoy and partake in.  

Liberals tend to support legalisation and regulation of sex work.

• Like 2