I saw an article on 3fm website regarding a planned vigil on Monday in support of the murdered marketing executive in London during the week. The Manx version is supposed to be a doorstop vigil.

I have no issue with the topic of which people will be protesting about but ask the question why, do people have to ape various interest groups from across the water. Do we as an island have a worse problem of Domestic Violence or violence of any kind against women, or god forbide any murders featuring women. 

Last year the island experienced a rally against racism on the island by Manx People of Colour group. We are in a lockdown, over the weekend London experienced militant protests and sadly they were caught up in the actions of the polices prevention of the spread of COVID-19. Will HRH The Chief Minister be rushing out statements pleading that people stay at home? What’s the HRH The Chief Minister Militia aka IOM Constabulary view, headed by the Chief Cuntstable. This is an issue active considering the alleged behaviour of the police against the demonstrators.

I am quite sure that many of our female MHKs and wannabe politicos, will gladly jump on this bandwagon, especially in the election year. 

Discuss.......

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Almost every week on this Island incidences of domestic violence are reported in the media, and those incidences are just the ones which are reported. 95% of those reported cases will be violence agai

I don't really see the point myself, but it's pretty easy to not stand on your doorstep at a certain time while not complaining about others doing so.

Some bright spark on MR today suggesting that the death penalty be reintroduced.  If it doesn’t work to reduce violence against women, after a couple of years it can always be repealed. Not sure

I don't really see the point myself, but it's pretty easy to not stand on your doorstep at a certain time while not complaining about others doing so.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, 2112 said:

I saw an article on 3fm website regarding a planned vigil on Monday in support of the murdered marketing executive in London during the week. The Manx version is supposed to be a doorstop vigil.

I have no issue with the topic of which people will be protesting about but ask the question why, do people have to ape various interest groups from across the water. Do we as an island have a worse problem of Domestic Violence or violence of any kind against women, or god forbide any murders featuring women. 

Last year the island experienced a rally against racism on the island by Manx People of Colour group. We are in a lockdown, over the weekend London experienced militant protests and sadly they were caught up in the actions of the polices prevention of the spread of COVID-19. Will HRH The Chief Minister be rushing out statements pleading that people stay at home? What’s the HRH The Chief Minister Militia aka IOM Constabulary view, headed by the Chief Cuntstable. This is an issue active considering the alleged behaviour of the police against the demonstrators.

I am quite sure that many of our female MHKs and wannabe politicos, will gladly jump on this bandwagon, especially in the election year. 

Discuss.......

Your point was lost in the usual "HRH" BS.

12 hours ago, 2112 said:

Do we as an island have a worse problem of Domestic Violence or violence of any kind against women, or god forbide any murders featuring women..?

Almost every week on this Island incidences of domestic violence are reported in the media, and those incidences are just the ones which are reported. 95% of those reported cases will be violence against women, perpetrated by men. 

How many incidences would it take for you to accept that there is a problem of violence against women over here? There cannot be an acceptable level, as your logic seems to indicate.

Edited by quilp
  • Like 10
8 hours ago, 2112 said:

Do we as an island have a worse problem of Domestic Violence or violence of any kind against women, or god forbide any murders featuring women. 

Are you seriously asking if any women have been murdered on the Isle of Man?  The answer is yes and in some pretty horrific ways.  

Violence against women is also not uncommon whether that is domestically or not.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, quilp said:

Almost every week on this Island incidences of domestic violence are reported in the media, and those incidences are just the ones which are reported. 95% of those reported cases will be against women, perpetrated by men. 

How many incidences would it take for you to accept that there is a problem of violence against women over here? There cannot be an acceptable level, as your logic seems to indicate.

I don’t disagree with you for one moment. When it comes to the prosecution and sentencing of those accused, then the full force of the law should be applied. If the law is outdated, and not fit for purpose then it should be amended. As you quite rightly say there can’t be an acceptable level for violence be it domestic violence, violence against women, or any violence committed against male or female. Sadly if you read the local newspaper, there are regular reports of violence committed, some against women, some against men. 

Will domestic violence or violence against women stop as a result of this doorstep vigil, demonstration or protest March. I doubt it. The full force of sentencing may act as a deterrent, Yes, the publicity will draw to the public, this particular issue. 

I

Edited by 2112
19 minutes ago, quilp said:

Almost every week on this Island incidences of domestic violence are reported in the media, and those incidences are just the ones which are reported. 95% of those reported cases will be against women, perpetrated by men. 

There is absolutely no reason a woman should be putting up with abuse in this day and age though, you could ask pretty much anyone on the street for help and they would. For some reason it’s normally always the woman who thinks they either deserve it or just accept it, you don’t hear about it until something so terrible has happened that they’ve finally decided enough is actually enough.

I remember hearing my neighbours at the time arguing, shouting, screaming and then you’d hear stuff getting smashed around, it was almost a daily occurrence. That has to be one of the most toxic relationships I’ve even seen, for some odd reason they both just accepted that it was their ‘normal’ I talked to both of them individually, the power/control was all about money, but it was actually the wife that was in control of everything and she wouldn’t let him do anything he wanted.

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

There is absolutely no reason a woman should be putting up with abuse in this day and age though, you could ask pretty much anyone on the street for help and they would. For some reason it’s normally always the woman who thinks they either deserve it or just accept it, you don’t hear about it until something so terrible has happened that they’ve finally decided enough is actually enough.

I remember hearing my neighbours at the time arguing, shouting, screaming and then you’d hear stuff getting smashed around, it was almost a daily occurrence. That has to be one of the most toxic relationships I’ve even seen, for some odd reason they both just accepted that it was their ‘normal’ I talked to both of them individually, the power/control was all about money, but it was actually the wife that was in control of everything and she wouldn’t let him do anything he wanted.

Having known someone who was horrifically mentally and physically abused by a partner, a manipulative person can remove someone's ability to get help entirely. There's a huge psychological element that your post somewhat glosses over.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

agreed, if people want to stand on their doorstep for a cause, what's the harm?

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

agreed, if people want to stand on their doorstep for a cause, what's the harm?

No harm, and may have the benefit where women in abusive relationships can see which of their neighbours may be supportive and offer a safe haven. 

• Like 3