6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Having known someone who was horrifically mentally and physically abused by a partner, a manipulative person can remove someone's ability to get help entirely. There's a huge psychological element that your post somewhat glosses over.

It wasn’t my intention to gloss over it, I know it exists, but how can you help someone who either doesn’t know they need helping or categorically denies anything is wrong?

If it was that simple then domestic abuse simply wouldn’t exist in the first place.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Almost every week on this Island incidences of domestic violence are reported in the media, and those incidences are just the ones which are reported. 95% of those reported cases will be violence agai

I don't really see the point myself, but it's pretty easy to not stand on your doorstep at a certain time while not complaining about others doing so.

Some bright spark on MR today suggesting that the death penalty be reintroduced.  If it doesn’t work to reduce violence against women, after a couple of years it can always be repealed. Not sure

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

It wasn’t my intention to gloss over it, I know it exists, but how can you help someone who either doesn’t know they need helping or categorically denies anything is wrong?

If it was that simple then domestic abuse simply wouldn’t exist in the first place.

Perhaps national awareness and demonstration is part of the answer? :)

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, quilp said:

Surely this conviction should be up for review? Didn't HQ only recently alter the guidelines for someone fleeing a dangerous situation? 

cleans a record but you can't give someone back time not jailed

• Like 2
1 minute ago, HeliX said:

Perhaps national awareness and demonstration is part of the answer? :)

it'll never catch on

• Haha 1
Just now, Rhumsaa said:

cleans a record but you can't give someone back time not jailed

But surely there'd be a case for compensation? I don't really know all the circumstances surrounding this case so will leave it there. 

• Like 2
Just now, HeliX said:

Perhaps national awareness and demonstration is part of the answer? 

Where did I state that was ever a bad idea? It’s literally the subject matter of the thread?

14 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Quite.  But HQ clarified that it is now OK for someone subject to domestic violence to go to another household, took a while though. 

There was a lot more to that case than was reported but once again the media only go for the headline that will attract attention.

17 minutes ago, quilp said:

Surely this conviction should be up for review? Didn't HQ only recently alter the guidelines for someone fleeing a dangerous situation? 

I think he did. I also saw, earlier this year, that the police had set up team and 24 hour contact line for people who should be in isolation or during lock down to call if a crisis means they need to leave home. I hope this will prevent instances like the one Rhumsaa linked to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Handy for the police all this - when the main focus in this case should mainly be on them recruiting dangerous people.

So are the police going to be handed crystal balls to look into the future? 

Fact is the police recruit from the community sometimes there will be unsavoury characters recruited. Same in all walks of life. 

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Fact is the police recruit from the community sometimes there will be unsavoury characters recruited. Same in all walks of life. 

There are wide repercussions here as he was also working in the diplomatic core.

2 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

There are wide repercussions here as he was also working in the diplomatic core.

Again though when a person was recruited how is anyone supposed to predict that years later they might go on and commit a crime? 

As for the wide repercussions I dont know much about that so wont comment.

23 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Again though when a person was recruited how is anyone supposed to predict that years later they might go on and commit a crime? 

You can’t, the argument will probably be that it’s the employers responsibility to carefully monitor any changes in an employees wellbeing, people don’t generally go from law abiding to murderer overnight. 

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2005/jun/28/NHS.shipman

no profession is safe from unsavoury characters that aren't noticed until too late

• Like 1