Thorntons

Billy kettlefish

20 minutes ago, Zarley said:

End of an era.

Retail Store Statement | Thorntons

Dear Customers,

We wanted to share an important update with you all relating to our Thorntons retail stores.

Like many companies, we have been operating for a long time in a tough and challenging retail environment. We have been committed to transforming and growing a successful Thorntons retail estate; this has included significant investments to open new format stores and cafes and ensuring we had stores in the right locations.

However, changing dynamics of the high street, shifting customer behaviour to online, the ongoing impact of Covid-19 and the numerous lockdown restrictions over the last year - especially during our key trading periods at Easter and Christmas - has meant we have been operating in the most challenging circumstances.

Unfortunately like many other retailers, the obstacles we have faced and will continue to face on the high street are too severe. Despite our best efforts we have taken the difficult decision to go into full consultation to start the permanent closure of our retail store estate. We understand that this will be an uncertain and concerning time for our colleagues and we will actively support them during this period.

As customers continue to change the way they shop, we must change with them. We have seen a strong growth in Thorntons.co.uk and this will remain a key focus for us in continuing to provide you with your favourite Thorntons ranges, including our unique personalisation offering. In addition, we continue to invest in building our brand in grocery channels with our partners in order to meet the demand from you, our loyal customers.

We remain committed to our iconic Thorntons brand and will continue to invest further in the future potential to ensure we evolve with the times.

We would like to thank you for your continued support.

I'm craving chocolate now and sod's law, I'm fresh out. 🙄

Shame but inevitable in my view.

They're expensive and most of that expense relates to a high street presence in a one dimensional Confectionery business.

That shop in Strand Street isn't big at all.  Not sure what will replace them.

4 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

They're expensive and most of that expense relates to a high street presence in a one dimensional Confectionery business.

It will have big rent and rates  bill's though.

56 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

With Burtons empty next door and a few charity shops along that row it would be good chance to demo that block and rebuild better. Although I'm not sure there is any demand for that either.

45 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

With Burtons empty next door and a few charity shops along that row it would be good chance to demo that block and rebuild better. Although I'm not sure there is any demand for that either.

Obvious site for the Felt Museum. Would massively increase footfall in Strand Street

Edited by kevster

1 hour ago, AlanShimmin said:

Honestly, big retail for our Island is in demand. Several big retailers currently shopping for the right space.

For now, the high street here will always win, despite huge growths in online habits. Why? Impulse. People don't want or have 3 days to wait for something to come by boat. Even RM Special Delivery which is meant to be guaranteed next day is taking a few days and has been since Nov. Must be costing Royal Mail a bomb.

But most of the stuff we buy on the highstreet is impulse driven and people will continue to shop traditional retail here moreso than in the UK where you have same or guaranteed next day options.

6 hours ago, jaymann said:

Honestly, big retail for our Island is in demand. Several big retailers currently shopping for the right space.

For now, the high street here will always win, despite huge growths in online habits. Why? Impulse. People don't want or have 3 days to wait for something to come by boat. Even RM Special Delivery which is meant to be guaranteed next day is taking a few days and has been since Nov. Must be costing Royal Mail a bomb.

But most of the stuff we buy on the highstreet is impulse driven and people will continue to shop traditional retail here moreso than in the UK where you have same or guaranteed next day options.

This might be true if you live in Douglas but if you're out of town, no way. Douglas is a nightmare with the prom/traffic situation and parking charges, let alone any other travel costs.

Online is wiping the floor with Strand St and especially so now lockdowns have effectively trained and conditioned people to shop online (as Thornton's have found out?) 

As for online taking 3 days to come by boat, that's nothing; try walking into a shop, being told what you want is out of stock (or is not a stocked line) and will have to be ordered in at a premium if you're not prepared to wait for it to come in on the regular stock order, which can be a week to ten days or more. Or just being looked at blankly by a disinterested, part-time shop assistant who doesn't have a clue. Some of these shops are convenient only for the pick up or return of online sales.

Sorry, most of my procurement now is done online, (though I don't do much impulse admittedly) even down to hardware and engineering stuff. It's often way cheaper and delivered promptly (I have no complaints about RM or IoMPO who I know are dealing with phenomenal amounts of online shopping mail), I appreciate that I may not be helping the local retail economy but if I want to get my stuff done promptly and efficiently then it's the way I have to go.

Douglas retail (in particular) is being crippled by "Douglas".

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Zarley said:

Ha! The evening's saved; just remembered I have some Nutella lurking in the cupboard and I'm pretty sure there's a stash of shortbread somewhere too. It's a winning combination.

Nutella's not chocolate, not in any way - but when that's all that's available - I suppose...

I make chocolate, raw chocolate, it's very very good. When this is over I shall head your way with a bar or two. Choose your flavour and it shall be done.

• Thanks 1