Thorntons

Billy kettlefish

7 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Nutella's not chocolate, not in any way - but when that's all that's available - I suppose...

I make chocolate, raw chocolate, it's very very good. When this is over I shall head your way with a bar or two. Choose your flavour and it shall be done.

Ooo-wee thank you! Dark please, around 70%? And if by "flavours" you mean added flavours, orange is fab but so is plain. Did I say thank you? 🥰

According to the jar, Nutella is "hazelnut spread with cocoa". Closer inspection reveals that cocoa is fifth on the ingredient list at 7.4%. Hazelnut comes in third at 13%, so one could possibly argue that it is actually "sugar and palm oil spread with hazelnut and cocoa". 

I think I've just put myself off it! 

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I make chocolate, raw chocolate, it's very very good. When this is over I shall head your way with a bar or two. Choose your flavour and it shall be done.

Ooh, I’d that your new business? Perhaps Thornton’s got wind of it and realised they couldn’t compete. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Thornton's was a fad. It didn't move with the times. Like Body Shop and its ilk it was good for a while, but now it's just too old-fashioned - and not in a good way either.

All this talk of Thornton's took me back to the late 90's and a long since gone Thornton's cafe and shop located on the junction of Moorgate/London Wall in the City (it is now a phone shop). A work colleague of mine was having a fling with the manager, so we all got free cups of hot chocolate. That all stopped when they broke up, selfish bastard.

Agree with your point however, it was a product of it's time, and it is no surprise that the high street retail arm is folding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Ooh, I’d that your new business? Perhaps Thornton’s got wind of it and realised they couldn’t compete. 

No. I just do it for friends. There's not enough money in it for profit - not at the rate I am able to make it anyway. I did consider it, but decided instead to just use the skills to spread some chocolate love around. it's a wonderful process, done properly with the tempering and all. I feel like an alchemist when I'm making it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zarley said:

According to the jar, Nutella is "hazelnut spread with cocoa". Closer inspection reveals that cocoa is fifth on the ingredient list at 7.4%. Hazelnut comes in third at 13%, so one could possibly argue that it is actually "sugar and palm oil spread with hazelnut and cocoa". 

I take it you've seen this?

image.jpeg.5b57429fd404e7363a3fa4bef3225373.jpeg

• Thanks 1