Thorntons

Billy kettlefish

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Without having to open another thread, another shop on Strand Street is closing down. The Art Store is having a closing down sale. Will be missed, friendly staff and not over the top pricing either. Will be another empty shop on the main shopping street. 

Yes noticed that today plus another one on opposite side nearby, can't remember name but looked like a load of tat inside, said watch out for new store opening.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Without having to open another thread, another shop on Strand Street is closing down. The Art Store is having a closing down sale. Will be missed, friendly staff and not over the top pricing either. Will be another empty shop on the main shopping street. 

Another?

There aren't many to be fair.  Have a walk along and count.  It'll be replaced.  Shame it's going.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Another?

There aren't many to be fair.  Have a walk along and count.  It'll be replaced.  Shame it's going.

You think ………., you must be wearing a pair of IOMG glasses which operate in Skellyvision. 

HRH The Chief Minister and his Henchman Ashie with their stop start ‘circuit breakers’ have decimated some of the local retailers. This is will be more apparent in the next month in the run up to the rent payment time or lease renewals. 

A cocktail/coffee place opening up next to the Strand Centre, and a Kebab/pizza place opening up in the old Regency Travel opposite M&S. Catering for pissheads - way to go! I’m sure this will appeal to the IOMG strategy of enticing HNWIs to the island, with its wonderful shopping experience. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

You think ………., you must be wearing a pair of IOMG glasses which operate in Skellyvision. 

HRH The Chief Minister and his Henchman Ashie with their stop start ‘circuit breakers’ have decimated some of the local retailers. This is will be more apparent in the next month in the run up to the rent payment time or lease renewals. 

A cocktail/coffee place opening up next to the Strand Centre, and a Kebab/pizza place opening up in the old Regency Travel opposite M&S. Catering for pissheads - way to go! I’m sure this will appeal to the IOMG strategy of enticing HNWIs to the island, with its wonderful shopping experience. 

Sure we can squeeze a few more charity or coffee shops in somewhere!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You only have to look at some of the regeneration over here to see that food and drink retail is pretty much the only thing that's still going to thrive on the high street. A bricks and mortar strategy based on shopping for physical stuff just isn't going to be feasible long-term.

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

and a Kebab/pizza place opening up in the old Regency Travel opposite M&S. Catering for pissheads 

it might be bringing good quality kebabs to a lunchtime and early evening crowd

the IOM needs the delights of the cuisine at a quality level for the sober

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

if i was supplying the place  i wouldn't be offering credit 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Pipsqueak said:

if i was supplying the place  i wouldn't be offering credit 

every supplier has to take a risk based approach to their invoicing

2 minutes ago, Pipsqueak said:

i saw a familiar face stood in the doorway...............................................

no way............................................................

I'm cancelling my trips to Douglas immediately

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2112 said:

You really do come across as a bitter person.

As I've said, take a walk from one end of the street to the other.  You will not find that many vacant units.

Businesses come and go.  As for catering for people on a night out, not sure what the issue is.  Far less alcohol establishments than there used to be.

9 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

What’s really needed and would make a killing is a Greggs. Their sandwiches, rolls and baguettes are great value, cheaper than a lot of sandwich shops here, and they do nice salads. Not forgetting their beans, sausage and cheese melt, you can’t go wrong. 

A Nando’s would do well here, but would be better located out of town. 

The IOM generally aims down market ( Greggs appeals to all types of people - rich and poor). 

A good store which would fit well on Strand Street is a B&M, found in many parts of the UK alongside Poundland/Dealz.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1