Greenies won't like this

CallMeCurious

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I think they are missing the point.

It's not a comfortable thing to think about, but the more we dither on stopping such terrible waste, the sooner it all ends. Not in our lifetime, but generations to come will bemoan how stupid we were.

Not sure about anyone else, I don't have a problem with government and it's various silos playing with Red Arrows, rally cars, motorbikes etc...

But, at the same time, stop telling me that I should be walking to work in the pissing rain to save the planet. 

I make allowances I can afford that are 'green' but I'm not going to start living the Amish.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Not sure about anyone else, I don't have a problem with government and it's various silos playing with Red Arrows, rally cars, motorbikes etc...

But, at the same time, stop telling me that I should be walking to work in the pissing rain to save the planet. 

I make allowances I can afford that are 'green' but I'm not going to start living the Amish.

Who is telling you that you need to start living the Amish? Bit of a difference between flying jets for fun and driving to work....or even getting the bus

• Like 1

1 minute ago, finlo said:

But they would only make sense it we were awash with cheap green electricity!

They make perfect sense with renewable energy I agree. But they make good sense all ways as you get 3 times the heat for 1 part electricity so they are reducing CO2 emission when compared to a gas or oil boiler even if the leccy is generated with gas or oil. 

The air system is a marvellous concept but the system installation is prohibitively expensive for a great many people when in reality it needs to be affordable to all. Also, a fair portion of existing housing would require extensive conversion to properly compliment the pump to get the best out of it, adding more costs to the initial investment. 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TomTucker said:

Air source heat pumps could be the next greenwashing money making scheme that eventually fails. 

Problem is they only provide supplemental heat via massive radiators, which still leave you needing additional heat source especially on cold days. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, quilp said:

The air system is a marvellous concept but the system installation is prohibitively expensive for a great many people when in reality it needs to be affordable to all. Also, a fair portion of existing housing would require extensive conversion to properly compliment the pump to get the best out of it, adding more costs to the initial investment. 

I agree. Not great or retro fit as you need top class insulation. But shouldn't we be doing that at the same time. 

The radiators only get to 56deg so as @Cambonsays you need massive radiators to transfer enough heat in an old house. Oil fired systems can get radiators up to 85deg plus.

No excuse for new houses though. Should be mandatory. In a well insulated house you get multiple fold benefits. 

Present issue is that UK houses are poorly insulated and the heating of them generates excessive C02.

The solution of getting rid of gas boilers and replacing them with air source isn’t fixing the root cause of poor insulation. 

I think some people will be fooled into buying them as the industry gears up offering deals and affordable finance options! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

What alternatives do the ordinary folks have when gas boilers are banned?

I'm sure the MUA will happily sell you some very expensive electricity to run your two bar leccy fire.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

What alternatives do the ordinary folks have when gas boilers are banned?

Stonking great wood burners!............. Seriously, if you or yours are cold then you'll burn anything to keep warm and stuff the crayonista's false utopian dreaming.