Douglas Borough Council - Employment Tribunal case

manx-person

It’s only ratepayers money so should Douglas Council be too bothered. These matters are hardly going to bother the conscience of David Christian or ‘Ashie’, and make them reform even more.!

• manx-person changed the title to Douglas Borough Council - Employment Tribunal case
2 hours ago, manx-person said:

I've not seen coverage of this in the press.

Doesn't make great reading, or speak well about the skills and accountability of managers in local government.

https://www.judgments.im/content/ET 20-57 Mr William Pye V Douglas Borough Council.pdf

I'm not sure why it would appear in the press? 

That aside, I suspect he shouldn't have left the island.  It was clear there was a major issue unfolding.  I cancelled a trip on the Friday evening that was due to go on the Monday. 

That said, it looks like he would have been sat at home on full pay anyway.

If he did have the experience he said he did then it didn't sound like a picnic over there and it should have been left.   Seems petty and doesn't look great on DBC.

Pretty damning and not a surprise. Politics with a small p. The HR doing all the finger pointing when it was their failure to communicate. Even doing an about face during the tribunal to point at someone else, never them. The phrase 'sheer f**king hubris' springs to mind.

This wasn't an oversight or a mistake, there was willful intent here. Hence the missing/non-existant records of conversations that will have led to this. 

And though the man got his money back and some compensation*, there is no real compensation for the stress and anxiety he has been through.

*Not as much as was spent on lawyers by both parties and would have been totally uneccesary had HR done their job in the first place.

• Like 1

I take it that Mrs Ashton and Ms Eynon have been summarily dismissed.  Their deplorable attitudes highlighted by this report call for nothing less.

However, in true Manx fashion, 'lessons will be learnt', nothing will be done to remedy the total failure of this department and the reward for these incompetents?  The gravy-train of mediocrity keeps on rolling.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

I take it that Mrs Ashton and Ms Eynon have been summarily dismissed.  Their deplorable attitudes highlighted by this report call for nothing less.

However, in true Manx fashion, 'lessons will be learnt', nothing will be done to remedy the total failure of this department and the reward for these incompetents?  The gravy-train of mediocrity keeps on rolling.

A true leader would have packed in his post and let another clown take the reins. I think the chewing gum removal machine should take over as the council leader, at least it has a mind of its own. 

• Like 1

Dismissed?

Zero chance that is a sackable offence.

Mediocrity is a bit strong, they are a long way from being that good.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Dismissed?

Zero chance that is a sackable offence.

They work in HR so will be able run hoops around any middle manager who tries to dicipline them. Maybe their wages should be garnished to repay the ratepayers the cost of this fiasco. Never happen of course. Pretty sure in their own minds they did nothig wrong and it was somebody elses fault. Always is. 

https://youtu.be/T_x6QmuJdms?t=65

Edited by CallMeCurious

On 3/19/2021 at 10:56 AM, Utah 01 said:

The  head of Douglas Council David Christian should resign, blatant incompetency and inadequate leader, and his staff seem to be a# daft a# him.   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

They work in HR so will be able run hoops around any middle manager who tries to dicipline them. Maybe their wages should be garnished to repay the ratepayers the cost of this fiasco. Never happen of course. Pretty sure in their own minds they did nothig wrong and it was somebody elses fault. Always is. 

https://youtu.be/T_x6QmuJdms?t=65

Spot on.  They should pay rate payers back

20 hours ago, Banker said:

Probably thought they could get away with it as a manual worker involved, wouldn’t have done anything if it was a manager 

The poor guy was only on £22,000 pa take home and  these people on two, three, four times that were busy making his life even more of a misery.  He had already been very badly affected by the Covid crisis, being marooned in Cyprus for months, stuck in an hotel room 23 hours a day, and they wanted to take a quarter of his yearly income.  Even though everyone he worked with had been sat at home on full pay anyway.

One thing that really struck me from this case was how the upper management, especially Eynon the "Director of Enviornment and Regeneration", who had clearly pushed for this, refused to give evidence or even supply any paperwork and just dumped their underlings in it.  They lacked even the courage to admit they had made a mistake and so pissed away the ratepayers' money on a three day hearing they were bound to lose badly.

• Like 9