Douglas Borough Council - Employment Tribunal case

manx-person

Posted (edited)

ETA - replied to a post on Page 10 before reading clarification on Page 11

Edited by Rhumsaa

On 6/7/2021 at 9:03 PM, Declan said:

What prompted that outburst? Did MR not ask him about the tribunal costs when he is on?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but he seems to be suggesting Facebook should employ someone with detailed knowledge of local matters, to read every post connected to the Island and approve it.

Yeah I thought that was odd, I think basically what he wanted to say was that the media outlets that run the story should then fact check each comment and delete on behalf of DBC but when faced with a journalist saying that and throwing "facebook police" out he went with the safer option of global faceless FB

On 6/7/2021 at 9:03 PM, Declan said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but [Christian] seems to be suggesting Facebook should employ someone with detailed knowledge of local matters, to read every post connected to the Island and approve it.

It's just typical "Something should be done about something I don't like" whinging without bothering to consider the practicalities.  But then if Christian and his Council were better about considering practicalities they wouldn't be being criticised so much.

All that social media do is to set down the sort of gossip that goes around anyway and in theory that should make it more controllable than less.  But Manx politicians are so used to hearing what they want to hear from compliant media that they find it hard to adjust and see themselves above actually engaging with the plebs on social media and justifying themselves and explaining their actions.

• Like 5

It is symptomatic of a lazy response to social media by political organisations. Social media is, for all it plus and minus points, a fact of life and these organisations, including the likes of DBC, have to decide whether they ignore it or engage with it. This might mean having a PR role that reviews and corrects FB and Twitter and reacts to rumour by being transparent with facts. Instead, they rue the day when they simply had to engage with the mainstream media outlets and journalists and suggest that the social media platforms police every post, immediately. That, in reality,  is never going to happen. 

• Like 3