Douglas Borough Council - Employment Tribunal case

1 hour ago, manx-person said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/douglas-council-does-not-accept-or-agree-with-tribunal-decision/

Interesting.

1. The staff perhaps could have avoided criticism by attending and giving evidence.
2. If they think the tribunal is 'wrong' then have they considered grounds for appeal.

It really speaks poorly of DBC that they have reacted in this way.

Small-town, tin-pot local politicians having a hissy fit that sounded good in their bubble down the Legion, but frankly laughable anywhere else.

• Like 1
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The poor guy was only on £22,000 pa take home and  these people on two, three, four times that were busy making his life even more of a misery.  He had already been very badly affected by the Covid cr

This man had worked for the Corpy for 36 years doing a shitty job for a modest wage. Regardless of the Tribunal's decision and whether DBC agree with it or not, common decency says he deserved to

This was more to do with the guy's lowly position in the great scheme of things that is DBC. Probably only a Manx fella too. It's a familiar employer's practice and much abused on the IOM. Had he been

They just can’t be wrong. At least the leader can’t and after that it all just filters down. Indicative of politics as a whole. Never admit you made a mistake. In life it’s a dangerous personality trait, in selecting political leaders it seems to be a requirement of entry. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This was more to do with the guy's lowly position in the great scheme of things that is DBC. Probably only a Manx fella too. It's a familiar employer's practice and much abused on the IOM. Had he been the Borough Surveyor or some other suit at the Town Hall this wouldn't even have raised an eyebrow. This will have cost them dear but the ratepayers are picking up the tab and there'll still be the Mayor's buffet in Ridgeway Street. It's an absolute f**king disgrace.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

The two new guys have distanced themselves from it, both have tweets about it.

I’m absolutely delighted to hear it. I believe from a good source that the leader has had to face proceedings about his professional behaviour. Perhaps this has given the others some courage against small shouty man. What a toxic work environment it must be. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

They just can’t be wrong. At least the leader can’t and after that it all just filters down. Indicative of politics as a whole. Never admit you made a mistake. In life it’s a dangerous personality trait, in selecting political leaders it seems to be a requirement of entry. 

DBC are just a bunch of C@nts. 

A relative of mine suffered badly at their hands, egged on by the useless turncoat Unite Union. He nearly had a breakdown as they all closed ranks to protect the so called manager at the root of the problem. If his mental state would have stood it, I'd have had them all in court!

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Max Power said:

DBC are just a bunch of C@nts. 

A relative of mine suffered badly at their hands, egged on by the useless turncoat Unite Union. He nearly had a breakdown as they all closed ranks to protect the so called manager at the root of the problem. If his mental state would have stood it, I'd have had them all in court!

I wonder how many others have had the same treatment but are just so beat, that they haven’t the strength to challenge it.  When we escape from these situations we are so traumatised by them that going back for more is the last thing on our minds. I take my hat off to the bloke in the story. It takes some strength to take on DTC at a time like this. We need more like him now. That’s why I was cheered to hear two newer members appeared to be distancing themselves from the remarked made by DTC.

Maybe more will come forward. There must be a few. 

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I wonder how many others have had the same treatment but are just so beat, that they haven’t the strength to challenge it.  When we escape from these situations we are so traumatised by them that going back for more is the last thing on our minds. I take my hat off to the bloke in the story. It takes some strength to take on DTC at a time like this. We need more like him now. That’s why I was cheered to hear two newer members appeared to be distancing themselves from the remarked made by DTC.

Maybe more will come forward. There must be a few. 

Links to the tweets? Do you have them?

20 minutes ago, manx-person said:

Links to the tweets? Do you have them?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

David Christian is the Poundland Mussolini of Douglas and nothing will ever improve until he steps aside. He's been there too long and knows how to play the game. It's a toxic culture of old Manx cronyism, back-scratching and the worst features of self-serving local politics. Tynwald has the power to investigate and review the Island's local authorities. It just doesn't want to do it. Too many cosy interests and it would be like setting fire to a wasps nest. 

• Like 7