Petition for emergency phones on Marine Drive

Barlow

The marine drive will be closed before it is littered with land-line phones. Or dogs banned.

Manx Telecom has 99% 4G coverage of the Island, so if there is the demand for dog-walkers and doggers alike, I am sure this coverage could be extended.

Actually, just leave it, it might be like a good place for Covid deniers to exercise, they could take their tin foil hats off and relax in the electomagnetic wave freedom.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

But it's not a one-off is it?

Well it may be a two off or three off, certainly pretty rare. There is a balance between state sponsored safety measures and people being responsible for their own actions.

It may be Marine Drive now, but what next,  the Chasms and after that?

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 5:07 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Well it may be a two off or three off, certainly pretty rare. There is a balance between state sponsored safety measures and people being responsible for their own actions.

It may be Marine Drive now, but what next,  the Chasms and after that?

I'm trying to be pragmatic. Cost of at least one incident every year on average and the risks to the rescuers as well as the victims and some fencing and its maintenance. Although you could argue it's good training for the rescue services I suppose?

After all we put lifebelts around the harbours and lakes and reservoirs to save lives and defibrillators. How many times a year are they used?  

If the lady with the honorable intentions would like to contact Sure or MT and investigate the cost of putting in this infrastructure then she could launch a crowdfunding appeal which anyone who felt it was essential could contribute to.

As the saying goes

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/ee916af0-d741-414e-9225-e809fdc49ecf

5 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

I'm trying to be pragmatic. Cost of at least one incident every year on average and the risks to the rescuers as well as the victims and some fencing and its maintenance. Although you could argue it's good training for the rescue services I suppose?

After all we put lifebelts around the harbours and lakes and reservoirs to save lives and defibrillators. How many times a year are they used?  

A single life saved would justify decades of the cost of lifebelts around the Island.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Another car gone over tonight, occupants out safely (thankfully) it’s easy to see why they want to prevent  vehicular access.

Meanwhile, Mrs Scrunge cut herself today peeling spuds. They should ban all sharp implements too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Most incidents up there are because of people being stupid and acting like idiots. There's no general public interest argument to put emergency phones on Marine Drive. End of.

Most accidents up there will be because the young lad in the drivers seat is suffering from a rush of blood from his head and is desperate to get his wiling passenger parked up somewhere and is also trying to impress her with his driving skills

Unless things have changed a lot since the early 90s.

Many a fish supper enjoyed up there.

How anyone managed to go over the edge doing the speed limit up there is beyond me.  Still, one more dickhead in a german lad wank pot smoking mobile off the road. (possibly  had german style plates, but a Manx number coz it looks cool too)

On 3/24/2021 at 2:52 PM, ian rush said:

Maybe they could put a few phones half way down the cliffs so theyre easy to access for the helmets who go down after their dogs.

Or install one of those bat lights that light up the sky over Gotham City when the Dynamic Duo are needed

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Or install one of those bat lights that light up the sky over Gotham City when the Dynamic Duo are needed

Who Rob Callister and Martyn Perkins? 

42F2E852-0919-4975-883C-7BB746BD688B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1