Jump to content

Chief Minister “Joyriders putting bus drivers at risk”


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/bus-drivers-at-risk-from-people-joyriding-in-lockdown/   Really? Our CM has obviously never been on a bus. The ones I have seen in the last few

Well the driver should have woken Mr Speaker up when he got to Four Roads.  You can't get the staff.

It's concerning how HQ et al are allowed to say things but then not have to provide any proof to back it up. Unfortunately there are loads of people on the IoM that just take what they are saying as g

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I was genuinely shocked by that when I saw it.  It's worth quoting in full:

The Hon. Member for Onchan (Ms Edge) to ask the Chief Minister –

If he will publish the advice received on Sunday 28th February which led to the decision that it was safe to open schools on 1st March 2021; and who in Council of Ministers voted in favour of this decision?

Council of Ministers met during the weekend of 27-28 February and noted verbal updates in relation to testing data and emerging positive cases of unknown origin.

The Council of Ministers made the collective decision during that weekend to not put the Island into lockdown, therefore all services were delivering as normal, which includes schools remaining open as usual on Monday 1 March.

And that's it!  Edge had clearly made it a Written Question expecting a load of documents and they are claiming that there weren't any they used - not even the back of an envelope.  "We were told some stuff and decided to do nothing".   They don't even seem to realise how stupid and careless it makes them look.

In a further illustration of both the incompetence and arrogance of the Quayle administration, together with the supine indifference of the fools in Tynwald, there was a time when an answer as weak as that would have caused a riot among Members. No longer.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

In a further illustration of both the incompetence and arrogance of the Quayle administration, together with the supine indifference of the fools in Tynwald, there was a time when an answer as weak as that would have caused a riot among Members. No longer.

No. Allinson gave a very detailed explanation of the decision making process in Tynwald on 9th March to a question from Edge. She's simply grandstanding.

Read for yourself here https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/hansard/20002020/t210309.pdf from line 1050.

Having read it and balancing up the risk against the potential disruption the decision to open schools seems reasonable - based on the information they had at that time. It's easy to second guess it after the event. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No way! Time flies. Yes of course Alan Bell was CM then

You can be forgiven, it's become part of the advent season. Somewhere between the lights going on at that house on the New Castletown Road and the first accidental hearing of Last Christmas, there's the traditional re-opening of the Juan Says Sorry thread on Manx Forums.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, piebaps said:

No. Allinson gave a very detailed explanation of the decision making process in Tynwald on 9th March to a question from Edge. She's simply grandstanding.

Read for yourself here https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/hansard/20002020/t210309.pdf from line 1050.

Having read it and balancing up the risk against the potential disruption the decision to open schools seems reasonable - based on the information they had at that time. It's easy to second guess it after the event. 

But they of course had Tynwald virtually on the Tuesday due to risk but sent everyone into school & work on the same day. They could & should have made an early announcement that schools etc were closing but no we had to wait for Quayle to make a grand announcement!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Banker said:

But they of course had Tynwald virtually on the Tuesday due to risk but sent everyone into school & work on the same day. They could & should have made an early announcement that schools etc were closing but no we had to wait for Quayle to make a grand announcement!

Well yeah. They could, but they didn't.

Now they just need to get the vaccines out and get the schools open again and then follow whatever the Channel Islands do regarding borders.

I have more faith in them to be able to properly balance borders vs COVID so instead of our council of idiots wasting any more time on it just copy and paste their stuff.

Edited by Howard the Duck MBE TBC
There instead of Their when trying to call other people idiots
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely if they say that people are joyriding they can prove it by referring to the security cameras? 

I had to get a bus the other day for the first time in lockdown, there were two of us on it!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, piebaps said:

No. Allinson gave a very detailed explanation of the decision making process in Tynwald on 9th March to a question from Edge. She's simply grandstanding.

Read for yourself here https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/hansard/20002020/t210309.pdf from line 1050.

Having read it and balancing up the risk against the potential disruption the decision to open schools seems reasonable - based on the information they had at that time. It's easy to second guess it after the event. 

This is one of the biggest issues facing Comin. 

The constant need to respond to lazy people that can't be fluffed finding out the information that is clearly available.

Grandstanding indeed.  I wonder who the MHK is (or who they are) that walk straight out of confidential briefings and phone Paul Moulton up?:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

This is one of the biggest issues facing Comin. 

The constant need to respond to lazy people that can't be fluffed finding out the information that is clearly available.

Grandstanding indeed.  I wonder who the MHK is (or who they are) that walk straight out of confidential briefings and phone Paul Moulton up?:)

Grandstanding aside, so no one should speak up for the people who voted them in?

The question from 1235 onwards and the non-answer suggests that they missed an opportunity to act sooner.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I was genuinely shocked by that when I saw it.  It's worth quoting in full:

The Hon. Member for Onchan (Ms Edge) to ask the Chief Minister –

If he will publish the advice received on Sunday 28th February which led to the decision that it was safe to open schools on 1st March 2021; and who in Council of Ministers voted in favour of this decision?

Council of Ministers met during the weekend of 27-28 February and noted verbal updates in relation to testing data and emerging positive cases of unknown origin.

The Council of Ministers made the collective decision during that weekend to not put the Island into lockdown, therefore all services were delivering as normal, which includes schools remaining open as usual on Monday 1 March.

And that's it!  Edge had clearly made it a Written Question expecting a load of documents and they are claiming that there weren't any they used - not even the back of an envelope.  "We were told some stuff and decided to do nothing".   They don't even seem to realise how stupid and careless it makes them look.

Much like the "advice" that there were no grounds for prosecution in the SP debacle. 

To add: I don't necessarily want prosecutions, but it would have been more truthful if they explained that there were defects in the directions (which we suspect is the root cause) and that in light of that and the vital role a continuous shipping service plays, it had been decided that prosecution was not in the public interest. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Much like the "advice" that there were no grounds for prosecution in the SP debacle. 

To add: I don't necessarily want prosecutions, but it would have been more truthful if they explained that there were defects in the directions (which we suspect is the root cause) and that in light of that and the vital role a continuous shipping service plays, it had been decided that prosecution was not in the public interest. 

But that's not for the Chief Secretary to say.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Grandstanding aside, so no one should speak up for the people who voted them in?

The question from 1235 onwards and the non-answer suggests that they missed an opportunity to act sooner.  

Exactly right, ignore fuchwit he just supports government line even when wrong ,they’ve given no proper response which is why they curtailed questions on it

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Surely if they say that people are joyriding they can prove it by referring to the security cameras? 

I had to get a bus the other day for the first time in lockdown, there were two of us on it!

A simple rule of thumb for bus cameras.

 

In any incident where the bus driver is to blame. 

 

The bus cctv footage will mysteriously disappear.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...