Jump to content

Airport.


Billy kettlefish
 Share

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

My recollection is that when Manx Airlines was sold, the IOM-Heathrow route disappeared rather quickly - because, as people who knew about this stuff pointed out, the Heathrow slots are worth an awful lot of money and using the slot for an IoM route was not financially sensible.

Previously, BA leased Loganair slots as they weren't up to full schedules given COVID.

I can't imagine they'll be letting Loganair keep use of them for more than 12 or 18 months, subject to whatever happens in Europe of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

One a day from Jersey to LPL, daily except Tuesday to MAN.  No doubt people on Jersey Forums are whinging because they can't make day trips.

Thanks, ‘twas rhetorical, to make my point.

Anyway, I’m catching the ferry to Bilbao in April, it’s from Dublin. If they can do one from there, why can’t we have weekly sailings from here?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Thanks, ‘twas rhetorical, to make my point.

Anyway, I’m catching the ferry to Bilbao in April, it’s from Dublin. If they can do one from there, why can’t we have weekly sailings from here?

Based on this thread, I think you should start demanding two a day with massive subsidies, and denouncing the Open Seas policy as a failure.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

Based on this thread, I think you should start demanding two a day with massive subsidies, and denouncing the Open Seas policy as a failure.

And it’s not a big detour to Guernsey, Jersey and St Malo!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Will Halsall said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/enterprise-and-doi-working-together-to-deal-with-airport-issues/

What is disappointing but generic of many government employees, is the immediate unwillingness to accept any complaints against their departments, especially when complaints are justified. 

They are reaping what their appointments sowed, not only in this, but in lots of other areas ! Recruitment is vital and we seem spectacularly bad at it !

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, asitis said:

They are reaping what their appointments sowed, not only in this, but in lots of other areas ! Recruitment is vital and we seem spectacularly bad at it !

To be fair, there are some very good people working at the 'coal face' in Government. In the last month or so, I have had interactions with the CoVid Helpdesk, the Income Tax Office and Pest Control (yes, I knpw there must be a joke in there somewhere!!) and had excellent service and outcomes.

The problem seems to lie in the recruitment at senior levels, where we appear incapable of filteriing out total bullshitters like Reynolds, Black, Longworth, Robinson, Spake, Charters........... At some stage, Greenhow and Collister (Head of HR) need to be held accountable for the serial failings in this area. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Nellie said:

To be fair, there are some very good people working at the 'coal face' in Government. In the last month or so, I have had interactions with the CoVid Helpdesk, the Income Tax Office and Pest Control (yes, I knpw there must be a joke in there somewhere!!) and had excellent service and outcomes.

The problem seems to lie in the recruitment at senior levels, where we appear incapable of filteriing out total bullshitters like Reynolds, Black, Longworth, Robinson, Spake, Charters........... At some stage, Greenhow and Collister (Head of HR) need to be held accountable for the serial failings in this area. 

I agree wholeheartedly , but any organisation is only as good as its leader and we've had some terrible floggers leading the troops !

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Nellie said:

To be fair, there are some very good people working at the 'coal face' in Government. In the last month or so, I have had interactions with the CoVid Helpdesk, the Income Tax Office and Pest Control (yes, I knpw there must be a joke in there somewhere!!) and had excellent service and outcomes.

The problem seems to lie in the recruitment at senior levels, where we appear incapable of filteriing out total bullshitters like Reynolds, Black, Longworth, Robinson, Spake, Charters........... At some stage, Greenhow and Collister (Head of HR) need to be held accountable for the serial failings in this area. 

Agree also .' Coal face 'workers in government generally are excellent but management seemingly in most case are just inept and dont give a toss. And it would seem that MHK's are not much better . Despite my complaint as mentioned by somebody else on here the powers that be have still not found the oil can and 1 hour to oil the baggage trolleys at the airport. Complaint made 4th December.  Reminds me of the saying , take care of the little things and the big things take care of themselves ! 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Agree also .' Coal face 'workers in government generally are excellent but management seemingly in most case are just inept and dont give a toss. And it would seem that MHK's are not much better . Despite my complaint as mentioned by somebody else on here the powers that be have still not found the oil can and 1 hour to oil the baggage trolleys at the airport. Complaint made 4th December.  Reminds me of the saying , take care of the little things and the big things take care of themselves ! 

The Peter Principle definitely applies in lots of those cases.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watched a road mending gang today patching potholes. there was a medium sized truck with a hydraulic grab, a trailed compressor and two operatives, (that I could see). The numerous potholes had only been filled a couple of months ago but only lasted a few weeks.

One guy was trying to dig the pothole with the grab while his mate watched. The grab was bigger than the hole and was a loading grab not a digger bucket. The job could have been done quicker and easier with either a pick or a pneumatic drill and a shovel.

So was this lack of skill, lack of training, wrong equipment, laziness, wrong training, inadequate leadership, lack of supervision, lack of inspection procedures, what. What is wrong with the system or methodology?

Edited by doc.fixit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...