Jump to content

Airport.


Recommended Posts

If you look Guernsey have been effectively subsidising their London route by around £50m a year because they recognise its strategically important to keep the island connected. The Loganair subsidy would have been a fraction of that. Yes Easyjet are happy to fly to London with a once a day service at random times each day. And given they are supposed to be a low cost airline already some return flights in August/September are costing £182 on some days. Be careful what you wish for. Lets hope someone sorts this mess out the island needs regularly timed frequent services to London not a once a day service not even based on island. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, IOM said:

If you look Guernsey have been effectively subsidising their London route by around £50m a year because they recognise its strategically important to keep the island connected. The Loganair subsidy would have been a fraction of that. Yes Easyjet are happy to fly to London with a once a day service at random times each day. And given they are supposed to be a low cost airline already some return flights in August/September are costing £182 on some days. Be careful what you wish for. Lets hope someone sorts this mess out the island needs regularly timed frequent services to London not a once a day service not even based on island. 

The plan was for BA to commence flying on City using their own jet aircraft and then COVID struck. Suspect that might still happen going forward.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

The plan was for BA to commence flying on City using their own jet aircraft and then COVID struck. Suspect that might still happen going forward.

Well lets hope somebody has a plan because as it stands its a right mess. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

The plan was for BA to commence flying on City using their own jet aircraft and then COVID struck. Suspect that might still happen going forward.

Eastern and Loganair struggled to fill a Saab on the route. Cant see it being viable with a larger E170.

Unless subsidised of course.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, bonatti said:

Eastern and Loganair struggled to fill a Saab on the route. Cant see it being viable with a larger E170.

Unless subsidised of course.

They were operating on behalf of BA and marred by tech issues when Eastern operated it. Then the ATR came along with Logan which CONSTANTLY had payload issues, resulting in removed baggage or catering trolleys etc. BA's biggest problem is overnighting aircraft in City. We may find that the aircraft sleeps on the Island overnight and lives here, which is great too. It was all in the works for a double daily, removing the lunchtime flight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

They were operating on behalf of BA and marred by tech issues when Eastern operated it. Then the ATR came along with Logan which CONSTANTLY had payload issues, resulting in removed baggage or catering trolleys etc. BA's biggest problem is overnighting aircraft in City. We may find that the aircraft sleeps on the Island overnight and lives here, which is great too. It was all in the works for a double daily, removing the lunchtime flight.

I hope your right. Just can't see it happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IOM said:

If you look Guernsey have been effectively subsidising their London route by around £50m a year because they recognise its strategically important to keep the island connected. The Loganair subsidy would have been a fraction of that. Yes Easyjet are happy to fly to London with a once a day service at random times each day. And given they are supposed to be a low cost airline already some return flights in August/September are costing £182 on some days. Be careful what you wish for. Lets hope someone sorts this mess out the island needs regularly timed frequent services to London not a once a day service not even based on island. 

Absolutely correct.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

The plan was for BA to commence flying on City using their own jet aircraft and then COVID struck. Suspect that might still happen going forward.

Were that to happen it would be excellent. The transport links from LCY to both central London and other areas are very good. I regret the loss of LCY and its return would be excellent. EasyJet’s ‘when it suits us’ LGW service is poor. (And can be very pricey).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, bonatti said:

I hope your right. Just can't see it happening.

COVID will change London City forever. People won't be commuting between Edinburgh and London for finance as much as they were etc. BA will need to find new avenues as it has done by launching Gibraltar and other places from City. Our Island will become attractive to this, I think.

Let's just hope it's still on the cards. Sooner Annie and Jez disappear the better. Jez got sacked from Eastern once and has done nothing to help their interest in the Island, that's for sure. They've also tried where possible to scupper Aurigny because they didn't like the political interference.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Were that to happen it would be excellent. The transport links from LCY to both central London and other areas are very good. I regret the loss of LCY and its return would be excellent. EasyJet’s ‘when it suits us’ LGW service is poor. (And can be very pricey).

I agree I often used the BA London City service it was excellent and had good links into the centre of London and around. Also a quick turnaround after landing. On one occasion just after Christmas it was the only flight to land at London City all day the cross winds were very bad but the pilot said he was determined to make it work. It was a near perfect landing too a real professional.

The problem is that this was effectively subsidised because Microgaming underwrote it unless someone does something similar it may be a non starter especially as BA are only operating Embraer 190s with 96 seats. The issue is that Easyjet are putting 156 seats a rotation in and two rotations of that a day is too much volume hence why only one flight a day is justified. Watch the ticket price rise rapidly though for a very poor service operating at very odd times.

It will need somebody to think outside of the box to find a solution but this needs urgent action it is going to turn into a big problem very quickly in my view. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If a certain individual royally f*cked up the patient transfer tender, why are they still on the Government payroll? 

 

I mean why are DOI even involved? Surely a matter for DHSC/ManxCare/WhateverItsCalledThisWeek to find a tender that best fits their needs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jersey have BA mainline, Jet 2 and easyJet (to 15 UK airports). What is the IOM doing so wrong?

 

Yes, it's got a bigger population but is that the only answer? 

 

Or is there more to it? Eg. Inbound and outbound tourism / affluent society / vibrant business ?

Edited by snowman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, snowman said:

Jersey have BA mainline, Jet 2 and easyJet (to 5 UK airports). What is the IOM doing so wrong?

 

Yes, it's got a bigger population but is that the only answer? 

 

Or is there more to it? Eg. Inbound and outbound tourism / affluent society / vibrant business ?

I blame the promlyshambles!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...