Airport.

Billy kettlefish

49 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

A couple of years back, NATS (National Air Traffic Services) were asked to report on what was the best that could be achieved so far as landing minima was concerned using the current facilities. The answer was as expected, nothing better than you have at the moment. The question was not asked about what was needed to allow for Cat 2. Meanwhile, grandiose plans were being drawn up to effectively knock down the terminal and re build it into a retail complex that incidentally handled aeroplanes. A completely arse about face way of considering what the point of the airport is.

The bit about the terminal is actually a decent idea and would generate revenue streams. It won't happen because there's a lack of vision, boldness and also a failure to get even the basics right. So it will remain just an idea. Much like some of the planes, it won't get off the ground.

What will happen is that, as with everything else, it will be allowed to become so shit that eventually they know that the public will simply say "go ahead and spend whatever you need to try and put it right"

Edited by snowman

15 minutes ago, snowman said:

The bit about the terminal is actually a decent idea and would generate revenue streams. It won't happen because there's a lack of vision, boldness and also a failure to get even the basics right. So it will remain just an idea. Much like some of the planes, it won't get off the ground.

What will happen is that, as with everything else, it will be allowed to become so shit that eventually they know that the public will simply say "go ahead and spend whatever you need to try and put it right"

The prime focus should be on bringing the airport to a technical standard that matches the capability of the aircraft and crews to land. Everything else is just dressing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

16 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

The prime focus should be on bringing the airport to a technical standard that matches the capability of the aircraft and crews to land. Everything else is just dressing.

This is the problem the 'core' function of the airport wasn't sexy enough for the imbeciles who were in charge !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ronaldsway will never be like other airports with long dwell times for holiday flights combined with huge commercial shopping complexes.  It is an essential island transport hub and should be operated as such.  We must accept that ultra-cheap fares and frequency of service are not mutually compatible,  realistically we need to find an airline or airlines that will provide a compromise.  Twenty five years ago, with the demise of Manx Airlines, I was suggesting just such an option, with return fares of circa £200 and I still feel the same approach is necessary to give us what we need. EasyJet would probably not provide a guarantee of an assured service in the future, much as though I utilise and  enjoy their present offerings.  
There are no easy solutions, let us hope that the new management recognises the needs of the island and focuses on the apparently neglected core issues.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, snowman said:

The bit about the terminal is actually a decent idea and would generate revenue streams.

I highly doubt it. We don't have the numbers and, unlike Jersey, we can't offer duty free for trips to the UK either.

10 hours ago, Cypman said:

I was suggesting just such an option, with return fares of circa £200

That's well on the way to what EasyJet charge if you take any sort of baggage. I'm flying to Gatwick with them next week, including a hold bag and reserved seats it's £160 return, and that's on the late rotation both ways. The earlier rotation was over £200.

Of course the "fare" was about £40 there and £60 back, but with bags at £27 each way and a reserved seat at £5 each way the "fare" is only half the total cost.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I highly doubt it. We don't have the numbers and, unlike Jersey, we can't offer duty free for trips to the UK either.

That's well on the way to what EasyJet charge if you take any sort of baggage. I'm flying to Gatwick with them next week, including a hold bag and reserved seats it's £160 return, and that's on the late rotation both ways. The earlier rotation was over £200.

Of course the "fare" was about £40 there and £60 back, but with bags at £27 each way and a reserved seat at £5 each way the "fare" is only half the total cost.

I had noticed easy bags had become very expensive.

£23 for 15KG bag to Liverpool. £25 for 23KG..

53 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Need to grow the population. There's not a chance in hell tourist numbers will grow sufficiently to justify this idea. But if the population increases you get the outbound residential traffic and the inbound visiting friends and family growth.

50 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I had noticed easy bags had become very expensive.

£23 for 15KG bag to Liverpool. £25 for 23KG..

Even the base fare of Logan air  has an  allowance for checked in bags  and for extra bags they only charge £10 per bag (15kg max) 

Probably the cheapest in the UK as far as I know..

Easyjet is fine if you are going  with only hand luggage but once you add on luggage etc it starts to get expensive. 

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, snowman said:

Just looked at Loganair prices mid May to and from London. I wish it every success but at over £220 return I'm out 

Rightly or wrongly I'm sure we were paying more than that 30 year ago!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, snowman said:

Just looked at Loganair prices mid May to and from London. I wish it every success but at over £220 return I'm out 

I'm afraid in aviation terms that's realism, Low cost airlines have skewed everyone's expectations of the costs of air travel !

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cypman said:

If I remember correctly Heathrow was over £300 return.

I was quite a regular user at the time, it bounced around between £280 and £320 between the early 90s and the cessation of the service. But it was Rolls Royce, complimentary hot meals etc.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, snowman said:

That's the cost though. I'm coming back from Gatwick midweek next week on EasyJet and it's costing me £103.47 one-way. This includes my fare, a bag, and a seat (I'm 6' and 17 stone, I don't want a middle seat!).

Loganair were £119 the same day from LCY, with an inclusive hold bag; although they do charge for seat selection, it's not such an important thing when their planes don't have middle seats. Slightly more expensive, yes, but then again the Gatwick Express costs £20 unless you know the cheats and LCY is a luxury airport  compared to the shitshow at Gatwick. I chose EasyJet as the times were better.

If you go hand luggage then EasyJet are cheaper. Any sort of baggage and there's really bugger all difference.

1 hour ago, asitis said:

Low cost airlines have skewed everyone's expectations of the costs of air travel !

I think the pricing model is clever, as people just see the headline fare and book. A £50 fare is cheap, but not so much when there's another £50 of add-ons.

The flip side, though, is you don't have to pay for add-ons you don't want. Hand luggage for a day or two and EasyJet genuinely are cheaper.

I think Loganair do need to move to the low-cost model, much as I resent that pricing model.

But Loganair are, to be fair, a bit rubbish when it comes to promoting themselves effectively. Their rewards scheme is really good- I've already had free flights with them through it, and I don’t fly that often- but again really badly marketed.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2