Jump to content

Airport.


Billy kettlefish
 Share

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, snowman said:

there is indeed a shortage. in fact there's an industry shortage. that's why, rightly or wrongly, airports are investigating options for remote atc

Remote control is where the future lies. Let's hope that this is on Chris Thomas' radar (pun intended).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Banker said:

But the underlying issue is still easyJet isn't it? The communication sounds poor, from the detail in the article. Airports closing is not just isolated to here, I've been stuck in London on the way to Jersey because of a late running inbound flight and the runway being closed by the time we would have got to Jersey. That's the risk you run with late evening flights to regional airports I guess, especially with low cost airlines.

In this case if people had been told mid afternoon they would have had time to think about alternatives or find accommodation at a decent hour.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Gladys said:

Only in Cambridge.

Where Airbuses morph into Boeings. (The Airbus used for the flying scenes becomes a B737 on landing)

Avgeek time: The aircraft used in that ad belong to Titan Airways - their callsign is ZAP - a nod of the head to Frank Zappa by the owner of the company, Gene Wilson.

The big orange disc on the tail of some of their aircraft is supposed to represent Titan, one of Saturn’s moons, although the company got it’s name from the first type of aircraft it operated - the Cessna 404 Titan.

There is no controlling going on in the EE ad, only communications between the handling agent on an operations frequency and the aircraft in question.

Remote controlling happens at Doncaster/Sheffield airport where the approach function is carried out by staff at Liverpool, and at London City, where I think all of the ATC functions are done remotely.

Personally, I’d much rather have qualified controllers in the tower here than in an office hundreds of miles away. The interaction between local pilots and ATC crew has significant benefits, and the opportunity to discuss matters face to face is always available should the need arise.

It may save a few quid, but at what cost.

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Where Airbuses morph into Boeings. (The Airbus used for the flying scenes becomes a B737 on landing)

Avgeek time: The aircraft used in that ad belong to Titan Airways - their callsign is ZAP - a nod of the head to Frank Zappa by the owner of the company, Gene Wilson.

The big orange disc on the tail of some of their aircraft is supposed to represent Titan, one of Saturn’s moons, although the company got it’s name from the first type of aircraft it operated - the Cessna 404 Titan.

There is no controlling going on in the EE ad, only communications between the handling agent on an operations frequency and the aircraft in question.

Remote controlling happens at Doncaster/Sheffield airport where the approach function is carried out by staff at Liverpool, and at London City, where I think all of the ATC functions are done remotely.

Personally, I’d much rather have qualified controllers in the tower here than in an office hundreds of miles away. The interaction between local pilots and ATC crew has significant benefits, and the opportunity to discuss matters face to face is always available should the need arise.

It may save a few quid, but at what cost.

Quite right MMP, I have often wondered about whether it's worth a complaint to the advertising standards authority about the intended deception in that hackish ad....

Further to the comments you've made about local interaction, I'd add to that knowledge of the area; there are many intricacies of the areas surrounding Ronaldsway that are not immediately obvious which would not be appreciated by someone in a box in Liverpool or Prestwick or wherever. 
That's even before the problem you'd have in the event of equipment failure and a need to revert to on-site ops. Oops sorry we can't get someone over to open the tower as the airports closed! 
Last one on that subject - spider walks  across the camera lens, no such problem looking out of a window!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gerremonside said:

Quite right MMP, I have often wondered about whether it's worth a complaint to the advertising standards authority about the intended deception in that hackish ad....

Further to the comments you've made about local interaction, I'd add to that knowledge of the area; there are many intricacies of the areas surrounding Ronaldsway that are not immediately obvious which would not be appreciated by someone in a box in Liverpool or Prestwick or wherever. 
That's even before the problem you'd have in the event of equipment failure and a need to revert to on-site ops. Oops sorry we can't get someone over to open the tower as the airports closed! 
Last one on that subject - spider walks  across the camera lens, no such problem looking out of a window!

Indeed - and even though it may be a slight cost saving to go remote, having all of those not insignificant salaries spent in the local economy would likely far outweigh the saving.

I can’t remember the exact value that was put on it, but locally earned money that is then spent locally has a much greater benefit to our economy than that spent elsewhere.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Local ATC every time, personable, locally  knowledgeable, clear communication and most importantly can appreciate what the pilot is seeing ! We have good girls and guys, just not enough of them !

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The ‘couldn’t give a shit’ attitude continues

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/business/ronaldsway-second-worst-for-flight-cancellations-553281

Those 500,000 visitors are rapidly evaporating into thin air. If only anyone did give a shit and do something about it. But it seems too hard. 

Yes this is a total disgrace. And being an island it is more critical that it is connected any cancellations have a far greater effect . The IOMG should be working with the airlines and holding them to account both EasyJet and Loganair have a lot to answer for . 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, IOM said:

Yes this is a total disgrace. And being an island it is more critical that it is connected any cancellations have a far greater effect . The IOMG should be working with the airlines and holding them to account both EasyJet and Loganair have a lot to answer for . 

But then let’s not forget every cancelled flight is an emergency SPC ticket bought at a premium last minute rate. We could be dealing with civil servants logic here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...