Jump to content

Airport.


Billy kettlefish
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, snowman said:

BRS is indeed on the way now and in the air, not delayed overnight 

Good to see but Loganair Manchester earlier on was 3 minutes late Loganair Liverpool 23 minutes late . Like I said I agree EasyJet did the right thing but the smaller local operated planes can often provide a more reliable service in bad weather . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Who is covering the extended airport opening fees? The overtime for airport staff and Menzies?

Some would argue that these are costs airlines wouldn't have to incur should the airport be invested, properly.

They always used to be paid for by the airline involved - it was still a lot cheaper than having to put passengers up for the night with all the associated costs (not just accommodation) and having to find space for them the next day or disrupt schedules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

They always used to be paid for by the airline involved - it was still a lot cheaper than having to put passengers up for the night with all the associated costs (not just accommodation) and having to find space for them the next day or disrupt schedules.

Agree its cheaper. Point is, it's completely avoidable with the correct investment and likely a cost factor that's a deterrent to other airlines.

Edited by NoTailT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BRS outbound was cancelled again. No idea why as we got in fine ! Did notice getting off that there was no one sat in the holding pen downstairs which thought was weird.

EZY will be delighted their AC is stuck here overnight now. The rescue flight isn't due to leave until 1pm back to Bristol tomorrow now, presumably until the crew get back in hours again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Who is covering the extended airport opening fees? The overtime for airport staff and Menzies?

Some would argue that these are costs airlines wouldn't have to incur should the airport be invested, properly.

We need someone in charge of the airport and its development who isn't a profligate bullshitter, with little knowledge of aviation or local weather conditions. There has been lots of investment in the airport since 2006, with very little of it aimed at improving its suitability in poor weather. The thrust of investment has been in new shiny things for the 1.75 million passengers per annum to see and use, indeed the latest talk is about new terminals moving fire stations, relocating this and that etc etc ! Weather and diversions are inevitable given the airport's locus on the island, but had the planning process in 2006 been seen for what it was ( mostly bullshit) money could have been used more wisely to minimise the amount of inconvenience to people. As it was we tried to enter the fantasy land of Heathrow on Sea and now find that money we have already blown is not actually helping operations. Can the next appointment please be an aviation professional  who has a proven track record in Aviation, not in reality TV or Bullshit !!

For gods sake we spent 7 years trying to approve a bloody radar !

Edited by asitis
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

BRS outbound was cancelled again. No idea why as we got in fine ! Did notice getting off that there was no one sat in the holding pen downstairs which thought was weird.

EZY will be delighted their AC is stuck here overnight now. The rescue flight isn't due to leave until 1pm back to Bristol tomorrow now, presumably until the crew get back in hours again.

This illustrates the point I was making in my earlier posts. The larger aircraft find it harder to get into Ronaldsway whilst all the Loganair flights managed to get in yesterday afternoon virtually to schedule. To rely on Easyjet to only serve the island which is what could end up happening without proper thought would be a huge mistake. I fly regularly to London and the BA London City service invariably coped with bad weather whereas the Easyjet Gatwick was frequently cancelled or diverted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IOM said:

This illustrates the point I was making in my earlier posts. The larger aircraft find it harder to get into Ronaldsway whilst all the Loganair flights managed to get in yesterday afternoon virtually to schedule. To rely on Easyjet to only serve the island which is what could end up happening without proper thought would be a huge mistake. I fly regularly to London and the BA London City service invariably coped with bad weather whereas the Easyjet Gatwick was frequently cancelled or diverted. 

To be fair to EasyJet, they are the longest serving operator at Ronaldsway since Manx/BA connect. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bonatti said:

To be fair to EasyJet, they are the longest serving operator at Ronaldsway since Manx/BA connect. 

Yes agreed but to only have them as the option for the island would be a big mistake. An island requires a frequent service and this is highly un likely with the EasyJet model . The right answer is a mix of EasyJet and an island based local operator . 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, IOM said:

....................The right answer is a mix of EasyJet and an island based local operator . 

There is ''an island based local operator'' . It is called Loganair.

And they could not make a London Heathrow or City service viable even with an ATR-70.

I assume you want the government to pay huge subsidies but the IOMG just borrowed £400,000,000 (=£400million) for 30 years. The interest alone is £6,600,000 which has to be paid each and every year for 30 years and the £400,000,000 has to be paid back by the maturity date. It covers past borrowings and huge Covid19 incurred expenditure debts.

Obviously, there is no magic money tree. Obviously there is no spare money. None at all. They cannot even afford to pay for many basic services.

I would try and get used to the Gatwick route.  I see many double daily easyJet services on the route next year with consistent times. I just booked some.

Welcome to the new world.

Edited by Cassie2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Cassie2 said:

There is ''an island based local operator'' . It is called Loganair.

And they could not make a London Heathrow or City service viable even with an ATR-70.

I assume you want the government to pay huge subsidies but the IOMG just borrowed £400,000,000 (=£400million) for 30 years. The interest alone is £6,600,000 which has to be paid each and every year for 30 years and the £400,000,000 has to be paid back by the maturity date. It covers past borrowings and huge Covid19 incurred expenditure debts.

Obviously, there is no magic money tree. Obviously there is no spare money. None at all. They cannot even afford to pay for many basic services.

I would try and get used to the Gatwick route.  I see many double daily easyJet services on the route next year with consistent times. I just booked some.

Welcome to the new world.

Where did I say I want the government to pay huge subsidies ? That’s an assumption on your part that is totally incorrect! It is a complex issue but with some clever thinking a solution could be found to meet everyone’s needs . The London City service was operating fine prior to the pandemic because a solution was found using the private sector to underwrite it at no cost to the taxpayer . I would recommend you do a little more research and understand the facts before making sweeping statements of this nature . 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...