Ice or no ice with whiskey

I am trying to get in whiskey properly.  When I drink it neat it can be quite a hard drink to drink but with a cube of ice it is a lot more palatable.

researching online some people suggest it is the devils work putting ice in but others suggest it is ok.   So my question is what does everyone do?

Personally these days I leave it well alone.

However, when I did like drinking whisky it was just neat in a wide brandy type glass. I liked the peaty malts, laphroig and the like, and the warmth they give. Was never really into ice with it, but I don't like ice in rum either.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

I am trying to get in whiskey properly.  When I drink it neat it can be quite a hard drink to drink but with a cube of ice it is a lot more palatable.

Acetone is much the same I would imagine. I’m interested to know why you’d try to train yourself to drink something your body is telling you it doesn’t want to drink.

Anyway, in the days when I used to be like you, I drank it without ice. If you really want to taste the flavour (and that’s why true whiskey drinkers drink it) then you don’t want anything to mask the flavour. Ice is for pussies and Americans - and people like you who can’t stand the taste but are determine to overcome it. :)

• Like 1

Ice is definitely frowned upon by the purists.  Try water, up to about 20% of the neat measure, makes it "more open, but less intense", so they say.

If you're looking for something with a bit of mellowness, try Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or or Quinta Ruban, or perhaps Middleton Method and Madness if you want to go west rather than east.

Most distilled spirit is best drunk neat if you’re a purist. Chilled or near frozen for vodka, with ice for some aromatics such as ouzo/Pernod/raki, room temperature or warmer if like whisky or brandy or armagnac or rum it’s the top rate single malt/distillation/barrel aged. That way you get the nose, scents, the foretaste and after taste it’s smoother, it slips down, but you only drink in sips.

For lower shelf, blends, unaged, etc it doesn’t really matter what you put in to mix. It’s a matter of taste. What floats your boat.

Of course you can put ice, water, mixers, into top shelf, luxury, spirits if you can afford. But I’d not use Krug in mimosas or Bellinis or even kir royals as it’s too good. Same with spirits.

8 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Ice is definitely frowned upon by the purists.  Try water, up to about 20% of the neat measure, makes it "more open, but less intense", so they say.

If you're looking for something with a bit of mellowness, try Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or or Quinta Ruban, or perhaps Middleton Method and Madness if you want to go west rather than east.

On an unrelated note, where the HELL have you been? I hope you had a permission slip for this lengthy absence.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

I'm going to ignore the spelling with an "e" for now, but we'll come back to that later.

If you're trying to make it more palatable by making it colder, then it is just about acceptable to use one very big ice cube, rather than a lot of little ones that melt faster. Alternatively, get some "Ice Rocks" that don't melt at all.

If you're trying to dilute it so it tastes less harsh, you shouldn't be drinking Scotch. Have you tried Jamesons instead? Or maybe JD & coke? 😉

Balvenie is generally a mellow option also. I have the dregs of a bottle of Port Wood bought when it was a lot cheaper than it would be now even if it was generally available, but the Double Wood is quite nice too.

Or completely left field, try Starward Nova all the way from Melbourne but at a fairly reasonable price.

Ralfy might be able to shed some light on this

I've not watched the videos myself because they go on far too long but he seems to have quite a following