'Britain is not institutionally racist'

I know some on here think I'm always banging on about racial issues but it is something which concerns me. I believe that we have to sort them out somehow, but recognise the efforts that are being made to do so. We have to live together and if we don't understand legitimate concerns from all parties, we never will be able to. This report which was sparked by the BLM protests has been slated as a whitewash but I don't think that it is? I think it's an attempt to give a more balanced picture of race in Britain than that given by BLM etc.

https://news.yahoo.com/race-campaigners-deeply-massively-let-101226050.html

Pressed on the claim that Britain is not institutionally racist, Dr Begum replied: “Tell that to the black young mother who is four times more likely to die in childbirth than her young white neighbour, tell that to 60 per cent of NHS doctors and nurses who died from Covid and were black and ethnic minority workers. You can’t tell them, because they are dead.

These may be facts, but I'm sure that there's an underlying reason which will not have anything to do with institutional racism? The NHS is made up of a huge number of black and ethnic minority workers, is that institutional racism? Obviously 40% of those who died where white then?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The racism is mostly all coming the other way. Contempt for or even outright hatred of British culture, it's institutions, history, beliefs, values etc. This growing minority hates the police; rejects

I’m just amazed that anyone in 2021 can try and deny institutional racism, sexism, homophobia or ableism. Of course it’s complex, of course there is history, and of course you can have a differen

@Max Power That report does strike me of being a "whitewash" because it does go against the experience of many from minority groups and as HeliX has highlighted the British press is not exactly the mo

Posted Images

@Max Power That report does strike me of being a "whitewash" because it does go against the experience of many from minority groups and as HeliX has highlighted the British press is not exactly the most tolerant around.

That said, I do agree that there are other issues in society which impact upon how well someone will progress in life and certainly being born into a deprived area is always going to make that harder.  

What you need to remember with the report is that it was commissioned by the Tory Government and the results were announced in a week in which Jennifer Acuri published further details of her relationship with Johnson (he still hasn't resigned) and there have been several other potentially embarrassing stories circulating.  This report nicely diverts attention from that and is almost guaranteed to open a rift between the "woke left" and "far right" thus neatly diverting attention from the joke that is this Tory Government.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, HeliX said:

166770133_3938193882932044_6930453081925

you do realise that clip you posted just serves to prove why people are fed up. Nothing to do with being racist more to do with the influx of foreign scum

5 minutes ago, Peter Layman said:

you do realise that clip you posted just serves to prove why people are fed up. Nothing to do with being racist more to do with the influx of foreign scum

People are fed up because of something the tabloids have invented? That's mighty fucking stupid of them.

5 hours ago, Peter Layman said:

Do you mean like Jurgen Klopp?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

And Mané, Salah, Firmino, Fabinho etc all coming over and taking jobs from scousers.

A former Liverpool player that I met told me that Steven Gerrard used to make it quite clear to foreigners like him that Liverpool was his club and that of all the other scousers! That's what saw off Alonso and many top foreign players, they never felt part of the team. I'm getting the hang of this institutional racism! 

Here is the full report if anyone is interested, rather than headlines chosen at random.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-report-of-the-commission-on-race-and-ethnic-disparities

My own opinion is that racism is 90% a feeling which people of non indigenous races have that they are not part of the country where they live. It's difficult to overcome this without them having a feeling that they bond with the history of that country. Hence the attempts to try and find some sort of links to the past? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-52939694

I'm sure that there is racism within organisations but not as a matter of policy or intent, feelings are difficult to legislate for, therefore we have to accept, all whites are racist.   

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

My own opinion is that racism is 90% a feeling which people of non indigenous races have that they are not part of the country where they live. It's difficult to overcome this without them having a feeling that they bond with the history of that country.   

That may be the case for people just moving to a country, however, it does not explain why 2nd or 3rd generations of migrant families experience racism.

32 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

That may be the case for people just moving to a country, however, it does not explain why 2nd or 3rd generations of migrant families experience racism.

You would think that yes, but colour and inherited culture must be playing a part in not feeling a part of an historically caucasian country's heritage?

I wouldn't say that is intentional racism, it must however have a bearing on what many people of non caucasian heritage feel. This is probably why attempts are made to try and portray them in sections of British history and increase their visibility on our TV screens etc? 

The racism is mostly all coming the other way. Contempt for or even outright hatred of British culture, it's institutions, history, beliefs, values etc. This growing minority hates the police; rejects our education system; takes no part in democratic politics; doesn't want to assimilate and has a permanent grievance against all things British. They believe that even in the C21st, Britain is endemically racist and carries a slave debt that can never be repaid. No amount of evidence to the contrary will dissuade them and only dilutes or contradicts their message. They ignore the fact that large numbers of ethnic minorities are doing well and getting on with it in modern Britain, and that we are a very diverse nation.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
20 hours ago, Max Power said:

You would think that yes, but colour and inherited culture must be playing a part in not feeling a part of an historically caucasian country's heritage?

What about those from a caucasian heritage?   Take the Poles for example.  They face racism as well.  There were examples of Polish and other immigrant families receiving notes through their letter boxes telling them to "go home" after the Brexit referendum.

20 hours ago, Max Power said:

I wouldn't say that is intentional racism, it must however have a bearing on what many people of non caucasian heritage feel. This is probably why attempts are made to try and portray them in sections of British history and increase their visibility on our TV screens etc? 

TV is aiming to be representative of the population.  It would be a strange world if somewhere like Coronation Street or East Enders were portrayed as being all white British.  The lived reality for those sorts of places would be a mix of various cultures.

Why can someone who is non caucasian not feel a connection to Britain?  Don't forget the Empire ruled over most of the globe so many people will have had contact with British culture and history of some variety in their "native" countries.

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

What about those from a caucasian heritage?   Take the Poles for example.  They face racism as well.  There were examples of Polish and other immigrant families receiving notes through their letter boxes telling them to "go home" after the Brexit referendum.

TV is aiming to be representative of the population.  It would be a strange world if somewhere like Coronation Street or East Enders were portrayed as being all white British.  The lived reality for those sorts of places would be a mix of various cultures.

Why can someone who is non caucasian not feel a connection to Britain?  Don't forget the Empire ruled over most of the globe so many people will have had contact with British culture and history of some variety in their "native" countries.

Yobs harassing immigrants is not really institutional racism though is it? That's just bloody minded ignorant stupidity.  

Around 4% of the population is Black and 8% Asian at the last census, mainly concentrated in London. The representation of these groups on TV is high when you think that many areas have very few members living there. I can understand the reasons though, to normalise relationships and make them feel like more a part of the British community, nothing wrong with that. A shame we have to do that but the human mind is a strange thing!

I suppose that if I was born in China, India or Japan, for example, to 3rd generation immigrant caucasian parents, I would struggle to feel Chinese, Indian or Japanese? I wouldn't feel that their histories were my history, despite speaking the language, going to local schools etc. I'd have been taught at home about my racial history and culture and I'd look different to my friends.