'Britain is not institutionally racist'

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The racism is mostly all coming the other way. Contempt for or even outright hatred of British culture, it's institutions, history, beliefs, values etc. This growing minority hates the police; rejects

I’m just amazed that anyone in 2021 can try and deny institutional racism, sexism, homophobia or ableism. Of course it’s complex, of course there is history, and of course you can have a differen

@Max Power That report does strike me of being a "whitewash" because it does go against the experience of many from minority groups and as HeliX has highlighted the British press is not exactly the mo

Posted Images

The above is reproduced from an article written by Douglas Murray for the website 'UNHERD', titled, "Why The Left Needs 'Institutional Racism'." which I found interesting. Funny that Starmer the Llama had an opinion on the report, even without reading it! Unsurprising actually, the man is a fraud... 

Edited by quilp
Title
  • Like 2
On 4/2/2021 at 5:36 AM, Max Power said:

A former Liverpool player that I met told me that Steven Gerrard used to make it quite clear to foreigners like him that Liverpool was his club and that of all the other scousers! That's what saw off Alonso and many top foreign players, they never felt part of the team. I'm getting the hang of this institutional racism! 

I heard this is exactly what happened between Gerrard and Arbeloa and Gerrard El Hadji Diouf!

8 hours ago, N3Wzk0nzum3r said:

I heard this is exactly what happened between Gerrard and Arbeloa and Gerrard El Hadji Diouf!

I honestly think this is a good example of balancing the culture of an organisation, in this case LFC and its ties to the local community, and being able to effectively integrate others (foreign players in this case).  If foreign players were leaving the club because of Gerrard's statements about the club being his and all other scousers does that not create a problem?

Talented people being unsettled immediately by one of the leaders of their employer based simply on the fact that they "are not from around here"?  Interesting that the club finally won a league title after he left with at least two muslim players being key to that.

Does the above mean that LFC were "institutionally racist"?  Probably not.  The same as Gerrard probably isn't racist.  If all the above is true then the issue is that anyone who was not a scouser wasn't being properly integrated into the club and were coming away with the perception that they were not welcome there.

Of course in the case of Diouf he went on to prove he had other issues....

Take the above type of culture and apply it to any organisation and you can start to see where the idea of "institutional racism" comes from.  I can give countless examples from my career where an organisation has been based in and serving a very diverse population and yet that was not reflected in the staff who were all predominately white British.  The organisation tended to advertise new opportunities in places that the local community would not look or through a network of contacts.  This led to the majority of people joining being just like everyone else. 

I am not in favour of quotas but again that is a case of the systems and processes being the problem rather than the organisation or its employees being overtly racist.

Do you think the local community had an equal opportunity to join that organisation?  Or did the recruitment process mean they were overlooked as a source of talent?

9 hours ago, N3Wzk0nzum3r said:

Arbeloa speaks very highly of Gerrard - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/10/west-ham-alvaro-arbeloa-slaven-bilic

Diouf has a whole section on his wiki entitled https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Hadji_Diouf#Controversies

It's not surprising Gerrard didn't think highly of him.

10 hours ago, Declan said:

Arbeloa speaks very highly of Gerrard - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/10/west-ham-alvaro-arbeloa-slaven-bilic

Diouf has a whole section on his wiki entitled https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Hadji_Diouf#Controversies

It's not surprising Gerrard didn't think highly of him.

This is the first I have heard this about Gerrard.

If he had this attitude I doubt he would get far in Glasgow!

15 hours ago, prism10 said:

This is the first I have heard this about Gerrard.

No idea if it is true or not.  Carragher on the other hand....

In all seriousness I used it as a useful example of how the leadership within an organisation can make the environment hostile for others even if that was not their intent.

15 hours ago, prism10 said:

If he had this attitude I doubt he would get far in Glasgow!

IF it is true then maybe he dropped the approach at Rangers as he himself isn't from the area?  Hard to say that it is a local club for local people if you yourself aren't from the area.

On 4/6/2021 at 7:48 PM, quilp said:

The above is reproduced from an article written by Douglas Murray for the website 'UNHERD', titled, "Why The Left Needs 'Institutional Racism'." which I found interesting. Funny that Starmer the Llama had an opinion on the report, even without reading it! Unsurprising actually, the man is a fraud... 

Starmer is wasting his time, I don't think the Labour Party will be taken seriously for a generation, if ever...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, Max Power said:

Starmer is wasting his time, I don't think the Labour Party will be taken seriously for a generation, if ever...

A Torygraph cartoonist making cartoons that support Starmer's attempt at leadership tells you exactly what you need to know about Starmer.

• Like 1

HR 40 Bill (based on 40 acres and a mule) is being presented again in US for reparations for slavery.

Some states have already commenced payments in the form of grants for housing etc.

The Bill has more sponsors this time around and stands more chance of being passed.

Will this ease or inflame the problems I wonder ?

This weeks episodes of the Good Fight  on Channel 4 (excellent programme based in a law firm that supports. African American causes) dealt with reparations head on with both sides of the argument aired in the Boardroom.  Worth watching as some interesting issues came out between the black and the white employees. 

Edited by Apple
bit added.
  • Like 1