3,000 patients awaiting endoscopy procedure!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Public Sector is full of these types. Pushy, arrogant, competitive, self-confident, bullies etc. They dominate at interview and come over as highly capable and assured. You don't get to the top in

Fortunately....The new managers at Manx Care will sort all these problems out 

Longworth was doing endoscopies? 

This could be an answer for some.

Capsule endoscopy

A capsule endoscopy looks at the inside of your bowel. It’s also called a video capsule endoscopy (VCE).

You swallow a capsule that contains a small disposable camera. The capsule is the size of a large pill. The camera takes thousands of pictures as it travels along your gut. The camera transmits the pictures wirelessly to a data recorder that you wear on your waist.

This test isn't available at all hospitals. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

Capsule endoscopy

A capsule endoscopy looks at the inside of your bowel. It’s also called a video capsule endoscopy (VCE).

You swallow a capsule that contains a small disposable camera. The capsule is the size of a large pill. The camera takes thousands of pictures as it travels along your gut. The camera transmits the pictures wirelessly to a data recorder that you wear on your waist.

I hope they wash it after every use? ;) 

• Haha 1

Endoscopy has been in a mess for years. Admin post referral and follow up were woeful. There was a scandal. People died or suffered avoidable consequences because of these failures.

Record keeping was woefully inadequate. No one knew the figures, absolute or how long people were waiting.

Extra staff were recruited. Temporarily. There was going to be a relocation of the service to Ramsey - result outcry. One of the nails in the coffin of KB as minister.

They more or less caught up. Temporary staff let go. Waiting list started to grow again.

Too much work for one not enough for 2. Often the case at a small hospital.

Its not just a Covid thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Endoscopy has been in a mess for years. Admin post referral and follow up were woeful. There was a scandal. People died or suffered avoidable consequences because of these failures.

Record keeping was woefully inadequate. No one knew the figures, absolute or how long people were waiting.

Extra staff were recruited. Temporarily. There was going to be a relocation of the service to Ramsey - result outcry. One of the nails in the coffin of KB as minister.

They more or less caught up. Temporary staff let go. Waiting list started to grow again.

Sadly my mum was one of those who died on a waiting list. 

• Sad 1

The 3000 plus figure came in the Keys this week in reply to that rarity a Question from Perkins (when you hear him speak you realise why they are rare).  No Hansard as yet, but the audio is here:

https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/listen/AgainFiles/7447a.mp3

It was actually Edge who asked the question about numbers (Perkins' sounded like a 'plant' one: "Will the Minister make a statement" type of thing).  Ashford was rather confused, but he claimed staffing wasn't an issue.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Max Power said:

What is it then? 

It must be delayed because of COVID or incompetence then, it’s not just endoscopy, it’s orthopedics, cataract surgery etc etc all massive waiting lists & unless you can go private you are in for a long long wait

1 hour ago, Major Rushen said:

Capsule endoscopy

I hope not. We had a major problem with this too. With traditional endoscopy the result is known there and then. The capsule pictures have to be analysed - something that takes time, and can be put into a pending tray. 

As JW said, the endoscopy problem was on an improving trajectory, then covid hit and it ground to a halt for months. 

18 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I hope not. We had a major problem with this too. With traditional endoscopy the result is known there and then. The capsule pictures have to be analysed - something that takes time, and can be put into a pending tray. 

As JW said, the endoscopy problem was on an improving trajectory, then covid hit and it ground to a halt for months. 

The interesting supplementary ( or FOI ). would have been “ How many were on the waiting list on the first working day of January, March, July and October of each of the last 5 years? “ that would show the trajectory and, more importantly when the improvement went into reverse.

• Like 2

Just over 2 years ago I had endoscopy about 4 weeks after referral by my GP. I was diagnosed with Barrats syndrome, a condition which potentially leads to cancer. As a result I need an endoscopy every 2 years to ensure no cancer has started.  The biannual check was due last November.  I was on a list and got my endoscopy exactly on time even during covid. 

Maybe my case is exceptional,  but I for one have no cause for complaint. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, John Wright said:

wasn't the outcry about a service being removed from ramsey rather than taken to ramsey ??  something to do with charity funded equipment specifically purchased for one hospital  becoming the property of the NHS and they could move it where they wanted??   this may not have been endoscopy but there was something that way round.

• Like 3