Elect The President

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We don't need a President of Tynwald. We never did in the first place. It was Charlie Kerruish who decided he should be President of Tynwald and so it came to pass. Back-slaps and drinks all round. Lo

Correct; scrap it. Clare Christian (yes, that one) imbued some dignity in the role and delivered effective parliamentary interventions in a way that Rodan spectacularly hasn’t, but there’s no sound re

Thank you. I’ll make absolutely sure I don’t read that.

Posted Images

Juan would do a good job. Listening to him he certainly commands the HoK and keeps them both on the right track and is fair.

Sure, he has made cock ups - who hasn't ? We all know them but the main thing is he hasn't repeated them.

I have though recently watched his efforts regarding issues with constituents and others on his own patch. He now walks the walk, and doesn't seem afraid to challenge poor political behaviour where it is necessary.

Female candidates - not yet. Maybe next time for say Barber or Craine. They don't have the skills set yet.

What about Robertshaw for Speaker if he will ?

7 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Mr Robertshaw is going far away upon his retirement, he has said

If Mr Watterson commands the Keys he should perhaps stay there

Shame about Robertsahw. He would have been a good contender.

Watterson needs to move on so someone else can develop their own skills in the HoK. Now that would be an interesting prospect - who can replace him?

Edited by Apple
1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

I'd like to see a woman in the role

If the job is down to that sort of thinking, then perhaps there is no need for the job at all.

Yes, LegCo should appoint their own chairperson

Ideally someone with a popular mandate of some sort

ditto

Certainly there must be a woman candidate, & I'm plumping for Jane Poole-Wilson for President

ditto

3 hours ago, Apple said:

Juan would do a good job. Listening to him he certainly commands the HoK and keeps them both on the right track and is fair.

Sure, he has made cock ups - who hasn't ? We all know them but the main thing is he hasn't repeated them.

I have though recently watched his efforts regarding issues with constituents and others on his own patch. He now walks the walk, and doesn't seem afraid to challenge poor political behaviour where it is necessary.

Female candidates - not yet. Maybe next time for say Barber or Craine. They don't have the skills set yet.

What about Robertshaw for Speaker if he will ?

The argument against Watterson isn't that he's not good enough, but that he's too good and shouldn't be wasted in an even more ceremonial role.  There was criticism last time that he took the Speaker's job rather than becoming a Minister, but maybe he didn't trust Quayle.  Admittedly there were few alternatives - and there still aren't.  Only Cregeen, Robertshaw and Watterson have more than ten years service in the Keys.  Poole-Wilson is the second-longest serving MLC after just four years.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Are there any serious suggestions?

On the basis that the outgoing candidate is a huffing, puffing, blackly comic music hall cartoon Scotsman, then no.

• Haha 2
On 4/7/2021 at 10:41 AM, Shake me up Judy said:

We don't need a President of Tynwald. We never did in the first place. It was Charlie Kerruish who decided he should be President of Tynwald and so it came to pass. Back-slaps and drinks all round. Lovely pension at the end of it all too...

IMHO, 'The President of Tynwald' sounds like another highly symbolic (but potentially pointless) role, a bit like the role of the Lieutenant Governor. Right now, even the Chief Minister's role seems to have degenerated into that of a 'hands-off figurehead'. Perhaps the occupants of these (clearly) well-paid, but spurious jobs should be contributing much more than just Symbolism? Any MHK candidates who put these types of ideas in their manifestos will get my vote. What we need is practical hands-on leadership.

• Like 1
On 4/7/2021 at 3:10 PM, Roger Mexico said:

The argument against Watterson isn't that he's not good enough, but that he's too good and shouldn't be wasted in an even more ceremonial role.  There was criticism last time that he took the Speaker's job rather than becoming a Minister, but maybe he didn't trust Quayle.  Admittedly there were few alternatives - and there still aren't.  Only Cregeen, Robertshaw and Watterson have more than ten years service in the Keys.  Poole-Wilson is the second-longest serving MLC after just four years.

Some truth in that I suppose