The death of literacy

Uhtred

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Apart from you two, does anybody read this stuff when it’s printed?

It's not just in print.  This is the online version:

The court was told that when they got there they left their car in the street with doors open and their alleged victim called 999 and forced their way into her home.

It’s alleged that they grabbed the woman’s phone and smashed it before subjecting her an attack, kicking and punching her.

Bradley is also charged with assaulting a police officer.

Neither of the accused has yet entered pleas to any of the allegations.

Both defendants are also alleged to have confronted a police officer who arrived at the scene, with Radcliffe hitting him and grabbing him.

Not only hasn't it been read before going into print, no one seems to have read it after.  And they could explain why Radcliffe is alleged to have assaulted the officer, but Bradley has been charged with it.

I don't mind a bit of semi-literate language from a person whose job doesn't involve being careful with language, but I seriously mind it when it emanates from self-styled professional journalists. If you can't fly an aircraft, why do you insist on being a pilot complete with shiny braid and wings on your chest? Unfortunately, Manx Radio and IOMN are teeming with (metaphorical) non-pilots. That said, Government communications here are just as bad, probably because they draw on the same well (sump?) of "talent" that staffs our local media.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The court was told that when they got there they left their car in the street with doors open and their alleged victim called 999 and forced their way into her home.

It’s alleged that they grabbed the woman’s phone and smashed it before subjecting her an attack, kicking and punching her.

Both defendants are also alleged to have confronted a police officer who arrived at the scene, with Radcliffe hitting him and grabbing him.

Not only hasn't it been read before going into print, no one seems to have read it after.  And they could explain why Radcliffe is alleged to have assaulted the officer, but Bradley has been charged with it.

The online version is just the print in e-version. Same thing. Not sure what your point is. We all agree it’s very badly written. IOM Newspapers aren’t known for getting their stories correct, even when they lift them from here.

Of course the “facts” reported here can only be a short précis by the prosecution in relation to suitability for bail. They haven’t entered pleas, so the facts have not been disclosed fully to the court, or the press.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

It’s written in the style of one of those ticker-tape machines that crop up in old b&w war movies....

‘Bismarck on horizon...’

‘Hood engaging...’

‘Much smoke...’

‘Hood’s blown up...’

’Jet Ski man’s girlfriend sighted...’

’Huge tits...’

’Coppers’ nabbed her...’

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

On 4/9/2021 at 8:20 AM, Uhtred said:

The IOMN online article concerning the court appearance of jet-ski man’s girlfriend includes this sentence:

This, let us not forget, is allegedly the work of a journalist. It appears to be the work of a seven year old.

I don’t ordinarily read the local rags precisely because they’re exactly that; ill-written, uninteresting and largely comprised of tittle-tattle together with cut and paste government schlock. However, I’ve read the Manx Independent published this week. It is comic book dross aimed at individuals with a reading age, I would say, of a competent ten year old. I’m actually quite disturbed at living in a community that consciously buys this ordure.

It seems like a towering work of profound literary merit compared with that served up by our local blats. 

Newspaper Billboard High Resolution Stock Photography and Images - Alamy

On 4/9/2021 at 8:20 AM, Uhtred said:

The IOMN online article concerning the court appearance of jet-ski man’s girlfriend includes this sentence:

This, let us not forget, is allegedly the work of a journalist. It appears to be the work of a seven year old.

I don’t ordinarily read the local rags precisely because they’re exactly that; ill-written, uninteresting and largely comprised of tittle-tattle together with cut and paste government schlock. However, I’ve read the Manx Independent published this week. It is comic book dross aimed at individuals with a reading age, I would say, of a competent ten year old. I’m actually quite disturbed at living in a community that consciously buys this ordure.

Another bit of work by a competent ten year old.

Screenshot 2021-04-11 at 11.07.14.png

• Haha 1

On 4/9/2021 at 9:38 AM, asitis said:

The first exam before the main A levels sitting, used to be called "University entrance english", if you didn't pass it you weren't going.

In my day, at my school, it was "Use of English", nicknamed "Useless English". At least it taught you when and where to put apostrophes, the difference between there, their, they're, etc... 

On 4/9/2021 at 9:38 AM, asitis said:

The first exam before the main A levels sitting, used to be called "University entrance english", if you didn't pass it you weren't going.

I think this was only in settings outside the UK. I would like to see tests for prospective MHKs - something like the 11+ would do to weed a few out

• Haha 1

On 4/9/2021 at 2:26 PM, Uhtred said:

It’s written in the style of one of those ticker-tape machines that crop up in old b&w war movies....

‘Bismarck on horizon...’

‘Hood engaging...’

‘Much smoke...’

‘Hood’s blown up...’

’Jet Ski man’s girlfriend sighted...’

’Huge tits...’

’Coppers’ nabbed her...’

Not sure the loss of over 1,400 souls in a matter of minutes is lol worthy. Perhaps just poor taste

• Like 2

On 4/9/2021 at 9:35 AM, Shake me up Judy said:

Manx Radio are no better. They played the previous day's news bulletin again at 11:00pm last night. Talk about Groundhog Day. That's about the fourth or fifth time in as many weeks. It's like the good old days of Bernie up there again for us nostalgics... 

Given the title of the thread, it should be 'Manx Radio IS no better'.

English Zloty - In no way was my earlier post trivialising or mocking those who died on HMS Hood - it was illustrating a movie in which the ticker-tape machine to which I referred was actually used. The mockery was directed solely at IOM ‘Newspapers’. Instead of your petty moralising, why don’t you do some volunteering for a Royal Navy charity. Many of us have.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 1