Prince Phillip has died

In my opinion, he was a great man. Throughout the lives of the majority of us he has been the bedrock for our head of state, our Queen, one of the most important and influential people in the world. What QE2 has done for the world, and women in particular is fantastic. Philip was always their by her side. 

Bless you Prince Philip. God speed. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prince Philip, inadvertent father of the Computer Misuse Act, dies aged 99 • The Register Many years before, the Queen Mum had welcomed Prince Philip into the family by dubbing him "The Hun" whil

That doesn't even begin to cover it. Step out of your bubble and think about history, nationhood, and politics on the big scale. Prince Philip was a main player of his times and did it with dignity, s

In my opinion, he was a great man. Throughout the lives of the majority of us he has been the bedrock for our head of state, our Queen, one of the most important and influential people in the world. W

Posted Images

Prince Philip, inadvertent father of the Computer Misuse Act, dies aged 99 • The Register

Many years before, the Queen Mum had welcomed Prince Philip into the family by dubbing him "The Hun" while other courtiers called him "Charlie Kraut" or "Phil the Greek". Even saintly Princess Diana reportedly referred to him as "Stavros", although not to his face as his response might have been robust. He was sailing off the Isle of Wight one year when the skipper of another boat shouted: "Oi! Out of the way, Stavros!" Philip yelled back: "It's not Stavros, and it's my wife's fucking water so I'll do what I fucking well please." What a treat he would have been on Oprah.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

The death of any human being (exceptions are reserved for the likes of Ian Brady and Myra Hindley, etc.) is always sad. But, I personally was much more moved by the passing of that humble and inspirational gentleman Captain Tom Moore who at the ripe age of 101 raised circa £30m for the NHS, than by the death of someone whom I have never met and who has had absolute zero impact on my life, and the lives of anybody I know. That said, I am sorry for their loss. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, NoTail said:

A sad day. An old man aged 99 who was not well has died.

That more or less covers it.

That doesn't even begin to cover it. Step out of your bubble and think about history, nationhood, and politics on the big scale. Prince Philip was a main player of his times and did it with dignity, style, modesty, courage etc; and still retained his individuality. His life was a good example to all who choose to understand it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Well, I for one am very sorry to see the old boy go. But I know there are plenty out there keen to tell us all how little they care. So keen that you might almost think that they … well … care.

(

• Like 4
4 hours ago, De nada said:

Well, I for one am very sorry to see the old boy go. But I know there are plenty out there keen to tell us all how little they care. So keen that you might almost think that they … well … care.

Good point.

You could almost say it's a defensive mental mechanism to show how macho people can be. I hope no-one is as callous as indicated by the humour in an ordinary or professional capacity. That might scare me a bit.

On 4/10/2021 at 10:31 AM, code99 said:

The death of any human being (exceptions are reserved for the likes of Ian Brady and Myra Hindley, etc.) is always sad. But, I personally was much more moved by the passing of that humble and inspirational gentleman Captain Tom Moore who at the ripe age of 101 raised circa £30m for the NHS, than by the death of someone whom I have never met and who has had absolute zero impact on my life, and the lives of anybody I know. That said, I am sorry for their loss. 

Have you met Tom Moore?

Prince Philip had plenty of positive  impact on the lives of many people.   What a bizarre comment.

• Like 1

Interesting perspective ...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/13/prince-philip-tributes-duke-nation

"People are far more performative online in accordance with their consciousness of being watched...Twitter has turned everyone into the archbishop of Canterbury, somehow feeling that every major news story requires them to issue an official statement. Huge numbers of people now regard themselves as bound to post the sort of formal reactions to Philip’s death that were once the preserve of former presidents of the United States or the queen of Denmark. ...

“Hugely sad at the death of the Duke of Edinburgh. He was a modernising influence on the House of Windsor, and his prickly exterior hid passions few understood. My thoughts are with the Queen.” Why thank you, random 41-year-old dude from the internet, and welcome to the Pooter party.

This got me wondering what the honourable member for Onchan had said about the Duke's passing.

On Friday lunchtime we also received the sad news that His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh had passed away peacefully at the age of 99 at Windsor Castle.
In a statement issued by Buckingham Palace, Her Majesty the Queen said it is with deep sorrow that she announced the death of her beloved the husband. The UK Prime Minister, Boris Johnson led the UK political tributes saying that the Duke had earned the affections of generations in the UK, the Commonwealth and around the world.

Here on the Isle of Man the Lieutenant Governor, Sir Richard Gozney passed on his deepest condolences on behalf of the people of the Isle of Man.

The Duke of Edinburgh was always my third favourite royal behind Prince William and the Queen - he will be missed greatly.

And then in the next paragraph he's talking about public toilets.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

An extra special sitting of Tynpotwald today so it’s politicos can ruminate, cogitate, reminicse and talk general bollocks, in guise of paying tribute. It would be interesting if the words 

LEFTENANT GUVONER

CHEEF CUNSTABLE

are uttered. I wonder if any other words get said?