• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought the same but then I realised I had just got old...  

No because x-in-man doesn't want them to know what he bought from Love Honey.

Yes.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

You would not be concerned that your name, address, phone number and date of birth ended up in the hands of someone else without your consent?

That information is all publicly available if you know a few simple details about the person

1 minute ago, kevster said:

That information is all publicly available if you know a few simple details about the person

That isn’t the point of data protection. I knew nothing about the other guy. I’ve now got name, address, phone and dob. I’ve also a list of 6 prescription medications, which means I have some idea about his medical condition.

On 4/16/2021 at 12:02 PM, manxman1980 said:

You would not be concerned that your name, address, phone number and date of birth ended up in the hands of someone else without your consent

Perhaps mildly so. I’m know that on least one occasion I have inadvertently received others similar details.

It hasn’t made me think “Oh, how can I use these to my own personal advantage and cause distress and financial loss to the individual concerned”

Ive just put the relevant document in the bin for others with evil intent to trawl through and find.

12 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Perhaps mildly so. I’m know that on least one occasion I have inadvertently received others similar details.

It hasn’t made me think “Oh, how can I use these to my own personal advantage and cause distress and financial loss to the individual concerned”

Ive just put the relevant document in the bin for others with evil intent to trawl through and find.

Of course the majority of people who receive someone else's personal details are not going to be criminals but if the data breaches aren't reported then how will an organisation know to fix the problem?

It's also not just about using the data in a criminal fashion.  What if you received, like John, personal data about a medical condition? What if, given the size of the Island, you know that person or know someone who does and you mention that to them? 

18 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Of course the majority of people who receive someone else's personal details are not going to be criminals but if the data breaches aren't reported then how will an organisation know to fix the problem?

Exactly. That is why we have a law, to ensure criminals can not get to information from companies that do not manage our data securely. 

We have enough problems allegedly with fraudsters using illegally obtained data to con people out of huge sums on money, life savings in some cases etc, so why make it easier for them.

Every company handling data should have someone nominated to safeguard it. Report breaches to them and help to make us all a little bit more secure. 

• Like 1

Arising from all this is probably what information / data is on that golden chip on the bank or credit cards we use. No-one has ever asked me or informed me what exactly is on it.

Obviously there will name, address, account details, sort code etc but what else lies therein ? Hmmm.

On 4/18/2021 at 10:46 AM, manxman1980 said:

It's also not just about using the data in a criminal fashion.  What if you received, like John, personal data about a medical condition? What if, given the size of the Island, you know that person or know someone who does and you mention that to them? 

No I would act exactly as if I had not received that personal data about their medical condition.