This is sad 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/outdoor-centre-ardwhallan-to-close-permanently/

Used Ardwhallin quite a bit in my youth, and would hope my own offspring would have been over the next few years. Shame. 

The article say this

It says it's gone through 'some difficult changes in the past two years' due to its connection to the DESC and 'the legal risks this brings'.

so it would seem that once again government bullshit is probably to blame. 

• Like 5
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well we'll probably never know what that story is. Instead a valuable facility for the youth will be abandoned, someone loaded will rebuild it as a nice house, kids with nothing to do will smash

In the same week that the Duke of Edinburgh died. Unbelievable. Every child in the IOM should spend a week or more at this wonderful educational facility in one of the most beautiful locations we

You'd need a legal beagle to work 'pro bonio'  

Posted Images

yeah I saw the FB post and felt there was a story within a story regarding the reasons for closure

Well we'll probably never know what that story is.

Instead a valuable facility for the youth will be abandoned, someone loaded will rebuild it as a nice house, kids with nothing to do will smash vodka bottles somewhere and Facebook will be up in arms at shit parents.

• Like 16
28 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

This is sad 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/outdoor-centre-ardwhallan-to-close-permanently/

Used Ardwhallin quite a bit in my youth, and would hope my own offspring would have been over the next few years. Shame. 

The article say this

It’s very sad. 

No doubt Lessons will be Learned. Going Forwards ...............

This facility was good and favoured equitably, compared to many local educational authorities in the UK. Some have very few outdoor facilities, for children and young adults to gain new skills and experience. Its ironic that Ardwhallan was probably used for participants to participate in the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme. HRH The Chief Minister will eulogise and reminisce about the Royal visit in 1979. No doubt he will wash his hands of the closure. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

This is sad 

The article say this

Great spot.  Real shame it is closing.

• Like 2

In the same week that the Duke of Edinburgh died. Unbelievable.

Every child in the IOM should spend a week or more at this wonderful educational facility in one of the most beautiful locations we have. What an experience for them. A place to learn about themselves and others; to learn life skills; develop socially and emotionally; self-reliance, maturity, resilience and coping; fresh air, exercise, and just having fun. More value in a week than in a whole term of school.

I give up with this Island.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Which constituency does Ardwhallin lie? Middle? Onchan? If it’s Middle then you can forget HRH The Chief Minister paying an interest, and I’m afraid Bill Shimmins after he has mangled the word Ardwhallin, only has concerns for £, shillings and pence. He doesn’t respond to phone calls only text messages - very poor constituency MHK. 

Do the police use Ardwhallin for training? Perhaps the Chief Cuntstable could throw his two pennerth in? 

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Which constituency does Ardwhallin lie? Middle? Onchan? If it’s Middle then you can forget HRH The Chief Minister paying an interest, and I’m afraid Bill Shimmins after he has mangled the word Ardwhallin, only has concerns for £, shillings and pence. He doesn’t respond to phone calls only text messages - very poor constituency MHK. 

Do the police use Ardwhallin for training? Perhaps the Chief Cuntstable could throw his two pennerth in? 

with the budget he's got he won't have two pennies left to put anywhere

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

In the same week that the Duke of Edinburgh died. Unbelievable.

Every child in the IOM should spend a week or more at this wonderful educational facility in one of the most beautiful locations we have. What an experience for them. A place to learn about themselves and others; to learn life skills; develop socially and emotionally; self-reliance, maturity, resilience and coping; fresh air, exercise, and just having fun. More value in a week than in a whole term of school.

I give up with this Island.

Other than Scotland, this island does have some good facilities, it’s the leadership which badly let’s it down. Some MHKs care, some are more blog orientated and haven’t got the backbone to do anything, especially for the youth. Some are more concerned with old grannies ...........

• Like 3

Here's the full statement on Facebook:

Dear All,

Sadly Ardwhallan Education Centre has been going through some difficult changes in the past 2 years, this is to do with how the Department is connected to the Charity and the legal risks this brings. Due to this a decision has been made that Centre and its activities will cease trading on the 28th April 2021 at this time the Ardwhallan and its equipment will be mothballed so that the legal administration details can be sorted out as well as how the Centre is to run in the future.

There has been no time frame for this to take place, it may take some time, therefore it is with a sad heart that I have to cancel all booking there after the 28th April.

On a personal note I would like to let you know, I have put my resignation forward for personal reasons and it has been accepted, I am still going to be involved in Outdoor Education so pleases keep an eye out for my new company adventureology. As I do still believe the outdoor has positive change in people’s lives.

Can I say a big thanks for all the staff and volunteers that have helped over the years make the Centre what it was, I would also like to thank you all for the support and trust you have given with your young people that have had the opportunity to spend time in the outdoors with us.

Regards
Paul Melling

Surely the first person we should be asking about this is the Minister for DESC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Roger, is it my imagination but I can see the only winners are Athols Street finest, can’t see them doing work pro bonio.......... except JW who does care. 

• Like 1

Is this "Elf and Safety" and the connected liabilities raising their heads - again...?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Roger, is it my imagination but I can see the only winners are Athols Street finest, can’t see them doing work pro bonio.......... except JW who does care. 

I suspect this may be more to do with the AG's Office, who now have responsibility for charities.

I hope Paul Moulton really takes HRH The Chief Minister and his little henchman Ashie to task, and spoils his attention seeking press conference. 

• Like 2