1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Roger, is it my imagination but I can see the only winners are Athols Street finest, can’t see them doing work pro bonio.......... except JW who does care. 

You'd need a legal beagle to work 'pro bonio'

• Haha 9
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well we'll probably never know what that story is. Instead a valuable facility for the youth will be abandoned, someone loaded will rebuild it as a nice house, kids with nothing to do will smash

In the same week that the Duke of Edinburgh died. Unbelievable. Every child in the IOM should spend a week or more at this wonderful educational facility in one of the most beautiful locations we

You'd need a legal beagle to work 'pro bonio'  

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Apple said:

Closure is only temporary apparently.

Closure due to a loss of member of staff.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/govt-reviewing-ardwhallan-centre-after-staff-resignation/

The guy who is running it has resigned and setting up another outdoor pursuits business, according to a statement on FB.  He says the Ardwhallan facility will be left intact until the future is determined, or words to that effect.  So, looking forward to the row about who owns what!

6 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

As I guessed, gov takeover and lots of important managerial jobs

If it’s around risk/liability then it’s likely to go the other way, they’ll put it out to tender and have a private company running it, just like South Barrule 

3 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

If it’s around risk/liability then it’s likely to go the other way, they’ll put it out to tender and have a private company running it, just like South Barrule 

There are tenders and there are tenders............................

Sounds like AGs office have scared the management silly over "liability" and are now going to move in for the takeover.

Cynical? Moi?

I know how some of the CS weasels work, been on the wrong end of it once.

As I have said before the Dept for Enterprise is supposed to help private enterprise - NOT steal ideas and setup gov run competition so they can play at being businessmen with a pit of our money

Edited by Boris Johnson
1 minute ago, Boris Johnson said:

There are tenders and there are tenders............................

Seems to be the way all these sites are going, minimal rent, lots of daft restrictions on use, but zero liability so they can wash their hands of it. 

48 minutes ago, trmpton said:

He was right.  No way would that be economically viable over here.

You dont think? When the crescent was open that was always well attended. 

Edited by thommo2010

I would put money on the fact that the government do not want to run this type of facility, but equally it's closure, due to apparent government bureaucracy and red tape, is not a good look pre elections, and reeks of risk averse pettiness. There will be a large queue of outraged MHK's wanting to take credit for saving the centre, and I have no doubt it will be saved in some form, but for me I find it frustrating that for a supposedly small, quick and nimble jurisdiction we habitually find ourselves tripping over large, unwieldy self imposed obstructions.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Gladys said:

The guy who is running it has resigned and setting up another outdoor pursuits business, according to a statement on FB.  He says the Ardwhallan facility will be left intact until the future is determined, or words to that effect.  So, looking forward to the row about who owns what!

be interesting see how well the guy gets on with planning and paperwork for his new venture when it looks like government will be setting up in competition to him.  expect another expensive state controlled fuck up.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Out of the blue said:

I would put money on the fact that the government do not want to run this type of facility, but equally it's closure, due to apparent government bureaucracy and red tape, is not a good look pre elections, and reeks of risk averse pettiness. There will be a large queue of outraged MHK's wanting to take credit for saving the centre, and I have no doubt it will be saved in some form, but for me I find it frustrating that for a supposedly small, quick and nimble jurisdiction we habitually find ourselves tripping over large, unwieldy self imposed obstructions.  

It's hard to be nimble when you are wracked with arthritis and never looking where you are going. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Out of the blue said:

Anything involving IOMG and closure, involves protest and IOMG totally caving in. Example - Snaefell Surgery. 

Surely IOMG are not that dim to realise the consequences whether they are involved or not? All they do is firefight. Reactive rather than being proactive.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Pipsqueak said:

be interesting see how well the guy gets on with planning and paperwork for his new venture when it looks like government will be setting up in competition to him.  expect another expensive state controlled fuck up.

Maybe the Manx Government Rebuttal Unit will be sitting through the night to smear certain individuals?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The building is owned the Ardwhallan Jubilee Trust. I've not seen the trust deed but understand that the trustee is the Minister for Education (and that other stuff).

The facility itself is operated by the Ardwhallan Jubilee Charity. Ann Corlett MHK (remember her) is listed as the contact for the charity. Its not clear whether this is something she does as part of her Dept of ED duties or her general civic duty.

The facility is staffed by Dept of Ed personnel and paid for by the taxpayer. The income generated by the the facility is paid to the Trust and used to buy equipment etc.

As I understand it, the resigning staff member has handed in his notice. He hasn't expanded on his reasons for leaving, but appears to be setting up his own business providing outdoor pursuits type services.

Hopefully, Dept of Ed will find someone suitable to replace him and things can continue as normal. I've never used the facility myself but from the testimony on here, it appears to have been something good operated by Government (which is apparently a rare thing).

• Like 3
1 hour ago, piebaps said:

The building is owned the Ardwhallan Jubilee Trust. I've not seen the trust deed but understand that the trustee is the Minister for Education (and that other stuff).

The facility itself is operated by the Ardwhallan Jubilee Charity. Ann Corlett MHK (remember her) is listed as the contact for the charity. Its not clear whether this is something she does as part of her Dept of ED duties or her general civic duty.

The facility is staffed by Dept of Ed personnel and paid for by the taxpayer. The income generated by the the facility is paid to the Trust and used to buy equipment etc.

As I understand it, the resigning staff member has handed in his notice. He hasn't expanded on his reasons for leaving, but appears to be setting up his own business providing outdoor pursuits type services.

Hopefully, Dept of Ed will find someone suitable to replace him and things can continue as normal. I've never used the facility myself but from the testimony on here, it appears to have been something good operated by Government (which is apparently a rare thing).

Unfortunately everything IOMG touches turns to dust or is neglected. Unless it’s a pet project. Or it involves the motorsports team. I’m sure they won’t allow the new all singing all dancing TT scoreboard to disintegrate. Still if there is a TT or FOM next year, the first fatality will kill off the TT forever. The new TT scoreboard will join its predecessor in the Manx Museum. 

Is Ann Corlett alive? Never seen her or heard from her since 2016.

Edited by 2112