Jump to content

Football, money, stupidity and anger


TheTeapot
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ugh.

What an absolute horror show.

The 'big' clubs (yes, that somehow includes Spurs) have decided to shit on everyone in the pursuit of even more money. 

Proposals for a new relegation free European 'super' league were released last night, and pretty much everyone is cross. I'm cross. What on earth are they doing?

I hate it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The same clubs who bang on about fixture congestion and how tired their multi millionaire little treasures are when they have to play 2 or three games in a week with a bit of first class travel thrown in?

Haven't had time to read the details but will be interested to see when they propose fitting these extra games in.

Should be stopped if at all possible.  They can't exclude all the other clubs from a series that will just make them richer and widen the financial gap even further.

Plus, how did spurs get an invite?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, trmpton said:

The same clubs who bang on about fixture congestion and how tired their multi millionaire little treasures are when they have to play 2 or three games in a week with a bit of first class travel thrown in?

 

It's the managers, coaches and players that complain about that, not the club owners. The club owners don't care about over-tiredness of players  anymore than they care about the supporters or tradition.

Extra-profit from the Super League means they will just buy enough players to have two squads. If the domestic one doesn't perform it's not the end of the world - if you are guaranteed to be in Europe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"As diversion tactics go, Spurs have come up with a belter"

Jose sacked.

I'm worried about Klopp quitting. But then, if this shit goes ahead I'm worried about not being able to support Liverpool anymore.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Declan said:

It's the managers, coaches and players that complain about that, not the club owners. The club owners don't care about over-tiredness of players  anymore than they care about the supporters or tradition.

Extra-profit from the Super League means they will just buy enough players to have two squads. If the domestic one doesn't perform it's not the end of the world - if you are guaranteed to be in Europe.

Doesn't seem to be finding much public support, even from the fans of the clubs involved.

Hopefully will get knocked on the head if the fallout is sufficient.

I have very little time for Gary Neville, but agree 100 percent with everything he has said on the matter so far.

Edited by trmpton
So little time for him my phone won't let me type his name
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a United fan I am totally opposed to this ESL and would not be subscribing to any service that broadcasts the game, watching any highlights or buying any club merchandise.  I would be more likely to support FC Isle of Man and Salford City than follow the a non-competitive league designed to extract more money from fans.

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

The same clubs who bang on about fixture congestion and how tired their multi millionaire little treasures are when they have to play 2 or three games in a week with a bit of first class travel thrown in?

Haven't had time to read the details but will be interested to see when they propose fitting these extra games in.

The proposals are that they will remain in their current domestic leagues but play ESL games mid-week.  I say kick them out of the domestic leagues and cups if they go ahead with this and let them live solely of the income of that ESL.

If they want to re-join the domestic leagues when the ESL fails then guess what... They start at the bottom.

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

Should be stopped if at all possible.  They can't exclude all the other clubs from a series that will just make them richer and widen the financial gap even further.

Plus, how did spurs get an invite?

I suspect that Levy isn't really in favour but would not want to miss out on the promised cash.  It is noticeable that of the 12 clubs 6 are based in England which just again suggests that this is being driven by United, Liverpool and Arsenal in particular.  I have no idea why Chelsea and City are in favour of it given that there is talk of a FFP style agreement being involved which would limit them being able to flex their wealth.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

"As diversion tactics go, Spurs have come up with a belter"

Jose sacked.

I'm worried about Klopp quitting. But then, if this shit goes ahead I'm worried about not being able to support Liverpool anymore.

The timing of Jose's sacking is bizarre but it has been on the cards for months now.  There has been talk of Klopp quitting Liverpool for a while now so maybe this will be the final straw.  

Maybe given this news the appointments of OGS, Arteta and Lampard make more sense than they did initially.  The legendary ex-player who maybe wouldn't rock the boat as much as an experienced manager when this league was announced?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, trmpton said:

I have very little time for Gary Neville, but agree 100 percent with everything he has said on the matter so far.

I watched his tirade on Sky News this morning about loyalty to the domestic leagues and competitions, fair enough.

However, I didn't see him ranting similarly when he and the rest of ManU eschewed participation in the 2000(?) FA Cup in order to play in the World Club Championship in Brazil?

It's purely about money. Top clubs are billions in debt and can't afford the revenue stream fluctuations caused by erratic Premier league finishes. "Elite" is a misnomer too. As Peter Reid put it this morning, Spurs haven't won a trophy since Wigan won the FA Cup....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Ugh.

What an absolute horror show.

The 'big' clubs (yes, that somehow includes Spurs) have decided to shit on everyone in the pursuit of even more money. 

Proposals for a new relegation free European 'super' league were released last night, and pretty much everyone is cross. I'm cross. What on earth are they doing?

I hate it.

Seems somewhat inevitable really.

Football clubs are owned by business people.  It's a multi billion pounds per year industry where the main attractions don't see the sort of money they should.

The current Champions League and Europa League set ups (which is really what this eats away at) are crap so I can see what the big clubs are thinking.

I dont think this has any real intention to go ahead.  I think it's more of a lever to reform the current set up and stop Uefa milking long hundreds of millions out of it.

Also, I wouldn't worry about Klopp leaving over it.  He's well paid to do as he's told.  Plus if he's likely to leave it'll be because him and Liverpool have been found out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I watched his tirade on Sky News this morning about loyalty to the domestic leagues and competitions, fair enough.

However, I didn't see him ranting similarly when he and the rest of ManU eschewed participation in the 2000(?) FA Cup in order to play in the World Club Championship in Brazil?

 

They were told to enter it and then hung out to dry over it.  They could have fielded a team in the cup but were not allowed.

Liverpool did exactly that last season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

However, I didn't see him ranting similarly when he and the rest of ManU eschewed participation in the 2000(?) FA Cup in order to play in the World Club Championship in Brazil?

This has been done to death.  United were told by the English FA that they had to participate in the World Club Championship because it would go in Englands favour to host a World Cup.

Turned out it didn't and United were left to shoulder the blame for devaluing the FA Cup.

The proposed ESL in contrast is a pure money grab and a way to remove the risk of failing to qualify for the Champions League.  

Juventus share price rose 10% following the announcement and Uniteds is expected to follow suit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let them go, Premier League rule L9 prohibits any club participating in unsanctioned events.  No more Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup or Champions League for those 6.  They can play each other each week, interest will wane.  English game will become far more competitive in the long run as ‘smaller’ clubs will share the spoils.  Players will have to be banned from internationals too, shame but needs must.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

Let them go, Premier League rule L9 prohibits any club participating in unsanctioned events.  No more Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup or Champions League for those 6.  They can play each other each week, interest will wane.  English game will become far more competitive in the long run as ‘smaller’ clubs will share the spoils.  Players will have to be banned from internationals too, shame but needs must.

Its not the players or the fans of those teams fault and they are probably going to be the ones that have the best chance of changing the owners minds. Expel the big 6 now and it makes the super league inevitable.

Anyway the title race wouldn't be that competitive...

EzUXvYmUYAkuguq?format=jpg&name=large

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Its not the players or the fans of those teams fault and they are probably going to be the ones that have the best chance of changing the owners minds. Expel the big 6 now and it makes the super league inevitable.

Anyway the title race wouldn't be that competitive...

EzUXvYmUYAkuguq?format=jpg&name=large

 

If they join, they probably face being automatically expelled, whole thing is a right mess and a good test of fan power, sadly this particular brand of super wealthy owner is used to getting what they want.  Re: more competitive, not necessarily the title race per se but the range of points is currently 60 points between top and bottom, 2 years ago two teams hit 100 points, that can’t be good for the wider game.  Incidentally, in my entire lifetime England haven’t won a single semi final, the Premier League was supposed to boost the national game, whoops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...