Hello, Hello, Hello - what's going on 'ere then.

Apple

1 hour ago, TerryFuchwit said:

The test centre are busy prioritising local garages bringing vehicles in which is why the average private punter has to wait.

I totally don't mind and understand that.  It is more the fact that the Police have now decided they are going to hunt down the UK plated cars when the delay in registration is solely down to Covid/the Test Centre. 

When I collected my car, there must have been about 7 people also waiting/collecting at the Steam Packet.  I would imagine everyone who has done this since the new year is probably in the same situation and there are probably 100s of us who brought a car over, booked it in for a test quickly and have to wait 4 months.   Then to be told that we will be actively targeted as there are loads of UK Registered cars over here!

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

They're only hunting down the ones where no test application has been made

I suppose it depends if they do their investigation via database searching or stopping drivers and demanding paperwork be presented to prove it?

Not the end of the world but I can see how someone would feel slightly aggrieved at the doubling up of inconvenience

1 hour ago, Rhumsaa said:

I suppose it depends if they do their investigation via database searching or stopping drivers and demanding paperwork be presented to prove it?

Not the end of the world but I can see how someone would feel slightly aggrieved at the doubling up of inconvenience

Between Police and Vehicle Test centre it should be simple to have an online list of registrations and make/model which have applied to be tested

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Between Police and Vehicle Test centre it should be simple to have an online list of registrations and make/model which have applied to be tested

Yes.... it should be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Isn't there the grey area of the UK tax ending when the car is sold in the UK and no IOM tax until the car has gone through the test?

So, unless you're able to give a UK address when you buy the car to tax it, the car is technically unregistered. What's the insurance situation if you have an accident in the meantime?

2 hours ago, yorik said:

What's the insurance situation if you have an accident in the meantime?

The insurance company will do everything possible to get out of paying the claim, ie exactly the same as if it were taxed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, yorik said:

Isn't there the grey area of the UK tax ending when the car is sold in the UK and no IOM tax until the car has gone through the test?

So, unless you're able to give a UK address when you buy the car to tax it, the car is technically unregistered. What's the insurance situation if you have an accident in the meantime?

Whether a car is taxed is irrelevant to the insurance company I suspect.

9 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Whether a car is taxed is irrelevant to the insurance company I suspect.

I think policies require your car to be taxed, ie, legally on the road.  It may cover third party loss, however.  I will check my policy  

Edited by Gladys

We know they're going to do whatever it takes to not pay out so no valid tax just gives them another string to their bow.

Common argument you hear is "But it is taxed, just haven't got it taxed here yet" when that often isn't the case

30 minutes ago, Billy kettlefish said:

what is the situation if you drive a manx registration car over in the UK, how does not having UK Mot. what is the situation regarding that. 

Fuck off, Rog.

We had Roger from Norfolk prattle about this about 18 months ago, on and on. Just search MOT’s on the way.

A Manx car doesn’t require an MoT. Wherever it’s driven.

https://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65195-mots-on-the-way/

• Like 1
  • Haha 5