Hello, Hello, Hello - what's going on 'ere then.

Apple

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Fuck off, Rog.

We had Roger from Norfolk prattle about this about 18 months ago, on and on. Just search MOT’s on the way.

A Manx car doesn’t require an MoT. Wherever it’s driven.

https://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65195-mots-on-the-way/

That's great, I just wanted to know as the UK police can get a little bit snotty over this sort of thing. 

20 minutes ago, Billy kettlefish said:

who is Rog.???? 

Right wing, secular Jewish, racist, forum member. Hasn’t posted for a while. He hated the island. He’d lived here for a while. Went to Norfolk. He was an early member, back in 2004. Last visited August last year.

Had a real antipathy to Roma, Romanians, Eastern European’s generally, anyone not white, the Irish, the Manx, welsh.

He had a real bee in his bonnet about MoT’s. Wrote to DVLA saying Manx cars were illegal. Had completely misread the UK legislation.

He was very hard work. Eventually got a letter from DVLA telling him so and had the grace to admit he’d made a prat of himself.

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Right wing, Jewish, racist, forum member. Hasn’t posted for a while. He hated the island. He’d lived here for a while. Went to Norfolk.

He had a real bee in his bonnet about MoT’s. Wrote to DVLA saying Manx cars were illegal. Had completely misread the UK legislation.

He was very hard work. Eventually got a letter from DVLA telling him so and had the grace to admit he’d made a prat of himself.

Thank you John, just wanted to know the situation on the Mots in the UK as I may be driving over their in the future. 

Just now, Billy kettlefish said:

Thank you John, just wanted to know the situation on the Mots in the UK as I may be driving over their in the future. 

The GB MoT legislation only applies to cars registered in GB. There are exemptions for cars temporarily imported.

I use GB rather than UK because the MoT situation in NI is slightly different.

NB there are MoT exemptions for cars registered on Scilly and some small, remote Scots islands.

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The GB MoT legislation only applies to cars registered in GB. There are exemptions for cars temporarily imported.

I use GB rather than UK because the MoT situation in NI is slightly different.

NB there are MoT exemptions for cars registered on Scilly and some small, remote Scots islands.

great stuff cheers. 

16 minutes ago, Billy kettlefish said:

I took my car to Uni and living in one of the sketchier parts of the UK, ended up getting pulled by the Police a couple of times as they had seen the weird plate, run it through their system and not received any info.   Never had any problems after explaining it was IOM and showing them my IOM licence.  They seemed more curious than anything once they realised it was actually real. 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Right wing, secular Jewish, racist, forum member. Hasn’t posted for a while. He hated the island. He’d lived here for a while. Went to Norfolk. He was an early member, back in 2004. Last visited August last year.

Had a real antipathy to Roma, Romanians, Eastern European’s generally, anyone not white, the Irish, the Manx, welsh.

I always thought Rog was Manx and took it as a personal affront on him by the whole of the island that he had to move away to develop his career.  Instead of accepting, like the rest of us, that the IOM has pro's and con's and doesn't work for everyone at every stage of their life, but that doesn't make it a bad place. 

Or am I thinking of PK?

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

They seemed more curious than anything once they realised it was actually real. 

HaHa. Just wait until we try and use a vaccination certificates /passports.

51 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I always thought Rog was Manx and took it as a personal affront on him by the whole of the island that he had to move away to develop his career.  Instead of accepting, like the rest of us, that the IOM has pro's and con's and doesn't work for everyone at every stage of their life, but that doesn't make it a bad place. 

Or am I thinking of PK?

I think you are probably thinking about every health services manager we have had in the last 5 years or so.....

(sorry, couldn't resist it.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, yorik said:

Isn't there the grey area of the UK tax ending when the car is sold in the UK and no IOM tax until the car has gone through the test?

So, unless you're able to give a UK address when you buy the car to tax it, the car is technically unregistered. What's the insurance situation if you have an accident in the meantime?

Generally, if you're driving the car back, you'll tax it in the UK until it has a test.

My understanding is, that it has to remain legal as far as the UK is concerned until it goes through the Manx test, that includes tax, MOT etc. The exception is when you're driving to or from a pre-booked test, same as with a UK MOT. You can drive it to and from one, but that's it without tax/mot.

I think the police are really trying to pick up the cars they've known about for a while, rather than the fresh off the boat imports. There are plenty that have been here for a long time, the Andorran Mercedes ML got picked up a couple of weeks ago and put on the police FB page.