Does anyone else have a constant battery problem with their Evoque car? Even after a good run, mine still says LOW BATTERY when I switch off. It’s only 3 years old so guessing the battery should be okay. I’m hoping it’s a software issue. Anyway, before going to the garage, just wondered if anyone had (or knows anyone who’s had) the same issue. There seems to be hundreds of Evoque’s on the road. Cheers 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's a Nissan Navara's favourite trick even though Nissan have tried to bury the fact!

Exactly the same issues on a Previa and a Sharan ... my mechanic says its the climate over here.

You may find that just driving it won't pull it up above about 80%, a proper charger may be needed to top it right off. Though in my experience, I've seen that once a battery has gone properly fl

Posted Images

Have a similar problem with my wife's Freelander.  There is a drain somewhere that I can't locate. 

It's fine during the summer, but during the winter if she doesn't drive for a few days, I'll have to jump start it.  This has been especially annoying during lockdown! 

I did buy a new battery which made it behave a bit better until the last lockdown when it didn't get driven for a couple of weeks and now have the same issue again. 

• Thanks 1

Have the "intelligent" charging system checked. (The one that has to be told by manufacturer diagnostics when you have had a new battery) 

Edit: If you have a decent multimeter, check the non-load voltage after a good run. It should be a minimum of 12.6V

Edited by ballaughbiker
  • Thanks 1

You may find that just driving it won't pull it up above about 80%, a proper charger may be needed to top it right off.

Though in my experience, I've seen that once a battery has gone properly flat a couple of times, it'll never be quite right after that.

It's generally exacerbated with lockdown where we're doing shorter less frequent trips, with plenty of electronics in the background that do clever stuff. For example, the climate control might activate a fan to draw air over the sensor, so it knows the temperature of the cabin. Some diesels will start the glowplugs as soon as you open the driver's door.

I'd highly recommend a CTEK or similar battery maintainer, Bentley actually include branded CTEK chargers. You can get a cable that will attach to the battery terminals, and can just be tucked in at the front grille to keep the battery topped up occasionally, so no fiddling about under the bonnet either.

Also, bear in mind, if you are charging a battery, most modern cars have what are known as AGM batteries, which aren't compatible with a traditional charger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

You may find that just driving it won't pull it up above about 80%, a proper charger may be needed to top it right off.

Though in my experience, I've seen that once a battery has gone properly flat a couple of times, it'll never be quite right after that.

It's generally exacerbated with lockdown where we're doing shorter less frequent trips, with plenty of electronics in the background that do clever stuff. For example, the climate control might activate a fan to draw air over the sensor, so it knows the temperature of the cabin. Some diesels will start the glowplugs as soon as you open the driver's door.

I'd highly recommend a CTEK or similar battery maintainer, Bentley actually include branded CTEK chargers. You can get a cable that will attach to the battery terminals, and can just be tucked in at the front grille to keep the battery topped up occasionally, so no fiddling about under the bonnet either.

Also, bear in mind, if you are charging a battery, most modern cars have what are known as AGM batteries, which aren't compatible with a traditional charger.

I don’t have access to a drive unfortunately, so  charger probably not an option. I do know the car was sat for a while in the UK, so having more than likely being flat hasn’t done it much use. May bite the bullet and get a new battery. I’ll get it tested first to see what the levels are. 

Rubbish! How can it take power from the cigarette lighter to charge the battery? The lighter gets its power from the battery!

The best bet would be to use a small solar panel on the dashboard to the cigarette lighter socket ,( if its live when the ignition is off), otherwise two croc clips on the battery.

I use this system on my camper to keep the domestic and the engine battery up to scratch.

Edited by doc.fixit
spelling
  • Like 1
On 4/28/2021 at 11:17 AM, cheesypeas said:

Does anyone else have a constant battery problem with their Evoque car? Even after a good run, mine still says LOW BATTERY when I switch off. It’s only 3 years old so guessing the battery should be okay. I’m hoping it’s a software issue. Anyway, before going to the garage, just wondered if anyone had (or knows anyone who’s had) the same issue. There seems to be hundreds of Evoque’s on the road. Cheers 

You need to buy a mans car. Not a mobile handbag. It will probably charge fine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As was said much earlier, check the voltage with the engine off (should be 12.5+), and at idle (should be 14.0-14.6). If less than 14, you have an alternator problem. 

Before buying a new battery, have the old one charged properly. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Cambon said:

As was said much earlier, check the voltage with the engine off (should be 12.5+), and at idle (should be 14.0-14.6). If less than 14, you have an alternator problem. 

Before buying a new battery, have the old one charged properly. 

Agree.  You should absolutely not involve the AG's office in this process.

• Haha 2