Serious incident in Rhumsaa

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

as evidenced by the fact you're the first MF member to become a worldwide meme  

It's a tired feature of Manx life that the village mentality of 'mind your own business' and the 'need to know' rule still persists. We've never matured as a modern open society and democracy, and 'ou

Because we live in an open society with an open legal system.  This happens all the time, major incidents that are subject to news blackouts. The UK police manage to release details of serio

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Just a recap.   

Somethings  happens in Ramsey.  Nothing on local media about it.

Ex copper in the UK starts a thread about said happenings and gives details about it.

It doesn’t take Ted Hastings to figure out where the info came from fella.

It’ll probably end up in lost paperwork and no chances of conviction due to gossip and coverage on social media.  

Edited by x-in-man
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

"

Around 11.40am yesterday morning, Saturday 1st May 2021, a report was received of a 29 year old local man having been assaulted in the area of Bowring Road in Ramsey. On the arrival of police officers, and paramedics from the Isle of Man Ambulance Service, it was discovered that the man had sustained serious but non-life threatening injuries which subsequently required treatment at Nobles Hospital. Owing to the nature of the enquiry the area in and around Bowring Road was closed for just over 2 hours in order to allow for necessary investigations to be undertaken.

Inspector Neil Craig can confirm that shortly after Police attended Bowring Road, two local males were located and arrested in connection with this matter and are currently being detained at Police Headquarters while investigations continue. Both of the persons arrested were male and local to the area. Enquires undertaken suggest that all the parties involved were known to each other and that there was no direct threat to any members of the wider general public. 

Due to the ongoing nature of our enquiries no further information is being released at this time, and it is asked that the public refrain from speculating as to the circumstances of what has occurred.  

Enquiries into the circumstances of what occurred are still ongoing, and as such police are appealing for anyone who may have been in the area of Bowring Road around 11.40am yesterday to contact them at Police Headquarters on 631212, or alternatively via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, where information can be provided anonymously."

So, nothing much to report - do t speculate (not that you would unless you were very, very bored)

Edited by trmpton
Posted (edited)

I'm interested to know but haven't messaged anyone I know in Ramsey to ask the question. But knowing sure keeps a pespective on what can and is going on on the Island. Do we have a right to know ?? Mmmm subjective but probably not as if and when it goes to court we will find out as much as we need to know. Slightly disconcerting a guy now off Island breaks the news though . If it is drug related as others have suggested then I can understand why theres a silence possibly to assist Police in nailing others in the chain . 

Edited by Numbnuts
39 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Are you sure about that? 

how do we know who wants to know what ?  is there a legal requirement to advertise everything ?   if every single event that occurred had to be advertised to everyone there would not be enough time in the day to listen to or read everything.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Pipsqueak said:

how do we know who wants to know what ?  is there a legal requirement to advertise everything ?   if every single event that occurred had to be advertised to everyone there would not be enough time in the day to listen to or read everything.

"Cat gets stuck up tree": No one particularly wants or needs to know.

"Man get seriously assaulted": Unpleasant as the matter may be, most people in our community want and should know.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

Manx Radio, IOM Newspapers and 3FM have now all reported it.  Judging by the timing on the Manx Radio and 3FM pieces (11:50 and 11:54)  it looks like the police had asked for a 24 hour news blackout from the time they were called to the incident.  Possibly to ascertain if more people were involved in or behind the attack.

It's obviously a fairly futile gesture in the age of Facebook and on the Isle of Man where the Internet of Skeet is rather longer established, but I suppose they have to be seen to be trying not to prejudice any cases.

• Thanks 3
2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Manx Radio, IOM Newspapers and 3FM have now all reported it.  Judging by the timing on the Manx Radio and 3FM pieces (11:50 and 11:54)  it looks like the police had asked for a 24 hour news blackout from the time they were called to the incident.  Possibly to ascertain if more people were involved in or behind the attack.

It's obviously a fairly futile gesture in the age of Facebook and on the Isle of Man where the Internet of Skeet is rather longer established, but I suppose they have to be seen to be trying not to prejudice any cases.

I don't see how reporting the incident would prejudice a trial, just as I can't see how a news blackout would help in ascertaining if others were involved - if others were involved they would know it happened or was planned.   

All a news blackout achieves is fuelling speculation. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Gladys said:

I don't see how reporting the incident would prejudice a trial, just as I can't see how a news blackout would help in ascertaining if others were involved - if others were involved they would know it happened or was planned.   

Disagree , maybe say drugs involved and with previous info raids could take place in that period before anything hidden and could be really beneficial. One reason and theres likely many more . 

8 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I agree with you Non-Believer but adverse publicity and a fair trial is up to the court to decide, and shouldn't prevent proper and responsible reporting of serious crime. The public have a right to know.

Absolutely - and the IOM Police have, including during my time, failed to grasp this somewhat. There were many times where I've had to chivvy investigating officers to get stuff out, both to cut off the rumour mill and to assist in their investigation. some were really good at this, but others weren't. Overall, I think they are better at this than they have been for some time, especially on social media. But in the absence of an on -the-ball media, the general approach is one of complacency and tell them nothing,

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

Because we live in an open society with an open legal system. 

This happens all the time, major incidents that are subject to news blackouts.

The UK police manage to release details of serious incidents without jeopardising the investigation or any resulting trial. 

See above - the UK media are a lot more proactive, and probing. As soon as that road closure cropped up then they would have been all over it.

6 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Just a recap.   

Somethings  happens in Ramsey.  Nothing on local media about it.

Ex copper in the UK starts a thread about said happenings and gives details about it.

It doesn’t take Ted Hastings to figure out where the info came from fella.

It’ll probably end up in lost paperwork and no chances of conviction due to gossip and coverage on social media.  

Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the wee donkey!

It was a concerned former neighbour that told me. Concerned as in lack of police information on the matter. No idea if there was a wider danger to the public. Rumour mill in full swing.

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

News blackout? Do me a favour. It doesn't work like that. Embargoes can be asked for, but would have served no purpose here. The police do not control the media - even on the Isle of Man

• Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Yes it's a bit odd, given that no names were given even in the eventual reports that came out.  The police may have been trying to encourage uncertainty I suppose so that witnesses would think they already had evidence and so cooperate more.

As far as prejudicing cases goes, I think the Courts would take more notice of information that comes from 'official' sources - directly from the police etc or regular media - than from social media.

6 hours ago, Pipsqueak said:

Its not advertising but publication which plays an important role in a lot of processes.  I have tried to find the rules about the police obligation, if it is an obligation or just practice,  to make  public certain events, with no luck.  I understand not wanting to prejudice either a trial or investigation, but I am pretty sure there are requirements to make things public.  After all, it is one of the differences between an open society and a police state.

It was the same with the Broadway seige a couple of years ago.