Serious incident in Rhumsaa

2 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

News blackout? Do me a favour. It doesn't work like that. Embargoes can be asked for, but would have served no purpose here. The police do not control the media - even on the Isle of Man

But it's a rather odd coincidence that an incident happens on Saturday morning, no media report it and then they all do (and Energy and Gef have similar stories to the three I linked to) 24 hours later - almost exactly in some cases.  That even includes outlets such as 3FM and Gef who often don't do any stories on a Sunday.

It certainly looks like a 24 hour (voluntary) embargo - whether there was any purpose to it or not.

6 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Just a recap.   

Somethings  happens in Ramsey.  Nothing on local media about it.

Ex copper in the UK starts a thread about said happenings and gives details about it.

It doesn’t take Ted Hastings to figure out where the info came from fella.

It’ll probably end up in lost paperwork and no chances of conviction due to gossip and coverage on social media.  

Hate to pop your conspiracy theory, but......

Derek who  seems to have  a  nostalgic longing for the  Island, and looks like he spends a deal of time trawling and commenting all things "Isle of Man" on  a couple of  different social media platforms is most likely have seen the various postings by Ramsey based SM accounts  that commented on  the incident, and regurgitated  what he has seen online, rather than having  a mole in Police HQ. But that of course isn't nearly as titilating.

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Its not advertising but publication which plays an important role in a lot of processes.  I have tried to find the rules about the police obligation, if it is an obligation or just practice,  to make  public certain events, with no luck.  I understand not wanting to prejudice either a trial or investigation, but I am pretty sure there are requirements to make things public.  After all, it is one of the differences between an open society and a police state.

It was the same with the Broadway seige a couple of years ago. 

https://www.app.college.police.uk/app-content/engagement-and-communication/media-relations/

There is also stuff regarding the place of media in investigative strategy.

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But it's a rather odd coincidence that an incident happens on Saturday morning, no media report it and then they all do (and Energy and Gef have similar stories to the three I linked to) 24 hours later - almost exactly in some cases.  That even includes outlets such as 3FM and Gef who often don't do any stories on a Sunday.

It certainly looks like a 24 hour (voluntary) embargo - whether there was any purpose to it or not.

more like bone idleness, nobody picking up on it and hounding the police for an update. The media is almost wholly reactive. They wait for a press release and then regurgitate it.

Just now, No Spiddag said:

Hate to pop your conspiracy theory, but......

Derek who  seems to have  a  nostalgic longing for the  Island, and looks like he spends a deal of time trawling and commenting all things "Isle of Man" on  a couple of  different social media platforms is most likely have seen the various postings by Ramsey based SM accounts  that commented on  the incident, and regurgitated  what he has seen online, rather than having  a mole in Police HQ. But that of course isn't nearly as titilating.

Never stopped loving the place, but I'm a busy boy these days and have a lot less time to do said trawling. As reported, it was a former neighbour that told me about it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Or more mundanely  given that neither IOM Newspapers or the radio stations have a huge bank of reporters on duty 24/7, i would suggest it is most likely

1. they knew nothing  about this yesterday , 2. they had only unconfirmed reports , or 3. there was no one actually at work on a Saturday afternoon.

and  in any case  they only broadcast after  the police media release was published this morning, on Facebook giving them a verifiable source.

As they would have got it at the same time, it is hardly that surprising that they reported at similar times.

I suspect it doesn't quite work like  a telly drama series

18 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

https://www.app.college.police.uk/app-content/engagement-and-communication/media-relations/

There is also stuff regarding the place of media in investigative strategy.

more like bone idleness, nobody picking up on it and hounding the police for an update. The media is almost wholly reactive. They wait for a press release and then regurgitate it.

Never stopped loving the place, but I'm a busy boy these days and have a lot less time to do said trawling. As reported, it was a former neighbour that told me about it.

Thanks for that link, Derek.  It confirms my view and doesn't really help explain why a lid is kept on some incidents here.  Oddly, those incidents are usually in the more serious category. 

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, No Spiddag said:

Or more mundanely  given that neither IOM Newspapers or the radio stations have a huge bank of reporters on duty 24/7, i would suggest it is most likely

1. they knew nothing  about this yesterday , 2. they had only unconfirmed reports , or 3. there was no one actually at work on a Saturday afternoon.

and  in any case  they only broadcast after  the police media release was published this morning, on Facebook giving them a verifiable source.

As they would have got it at the same time, it is hardly that surprising that they reported at similar times.

I suspect it doesn't quite work like  a telly drama series

But we certainly knew about it and there was the closure of Bowring Road to alert the media to the fact that something was happening.  And your explanation about short staffing applies far more to Sundays than Saturdays - if it all came out on Monday morning you might have a point.

There clearly was a press release probably put out yesterday afternoon which was embargoed till 24 hours after the incident.  Journalists would have rewritten this accordingly and released them (or set them up to be published) a bit after the deadline.

This actually happens with embargoes all the time - it's just that they are usually published first thing in the morning, so we notice it less.  But the story will actually have been written when the press release arrived the day before.

Edited to add:  To pick up on one particular point, the Police Facebook piece was actually published at noon, a bit after the time on the Manx Radio and 3FM pieces.  So those can't have been taken directly from that. 

Edited by Roger Mexico

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

But we certainly knew about it and there was the closure of Bowring Road to alert the media to the fact that something was happening.  And your explanation about short staffing applies far more to Sundays than Saturdays - if it all came out on Monday morning you might have a point.

There clearly was a press release probably put out yesterday afternoon which was embargoed till 24 hours after the incident.  Journalists would have rewritten this accordingly and released them (or set them up to be published) a bit after the deadline.

This actually happens with embargoes all the time - it's just that they are usually published first thing in the morning, so we notice it less.  But the story will actually have been written when the press release arrived the day before.

Edited to add:  To pick up on one particular point, the Police Facebook piece was actually published at noon, a bit after the time on the Manx Radio and 3FM pieces.  So those can't have been taken directly from that. 

It won’t have been embargoed 

1 hour ago, pongo said:

I don't understand what motivated you to start this thread.

Comment on media sluggishness 

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

There won't have been an embargo.

It won't have been written and published until today 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Derek you no longer live on the island why do you even care?

Still have interests there. Never stopped caring.

its about much more than geography. Still very important to me

• Like 5

There's only one reason for the OP. Its this fucking stupid "I know something you don't" nonsense which pervades modern society. I'm surprised but not shocked at Flunt for starting the thread. If only he was still here, the crime woulda been solved within seconds with tea and medals for all.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, piebaps said:

There's only one reason for the OP. Its this fucking stupid "I know something you don't" nonsense which pervades modern society. I'm surprised but not shocked at Flunt for starting the thread. If only he was still here, the crime woulda been solved within seconds with tea and medals for all.

surely by posting he is removing himself from the i know something you don't category ??  

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Because of course nobody has ever posted similar claims before?

https://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/search/&q=Serious incident&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_in=titles

It actually seems to be a quite a common claim on this forum that people have heard rumours about serious incidents as yet unreported.

Edited by Mr Roboto
  • Like 1