Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
joeyconcrete

Psychics/mediums/fortune Tellers

I'm a very scepticle person when it comes to things like the supernatural, psychics, fortune-tellers and mediums, I would however like to eat my words. I know a few people who've paid a vist to one of the above in the past and the majority are amazed with the outcome. Personally I think a lot of it is based on the law of averages whereby they pick something so general it's bound to register (and you'll try to make it register). e.g. "I see someone called Dave, he's with a lady with brown hair".

So - has anybody been to a local psychic, was it good, did you believe it and would you go again? I'm hoping that I get a good response then go and see for myself and be surprised, although I'm quite doubtful. (I'd like to be shocked though!) - Specific names would be good.

Also - I heard that Scientology church on Woodburne Road in Douglas does some crazy stuff, anybody been to that? (I does actually sound very Whoopi Goldberg :)

As a sidenote, one of my Grans (who, incidently I never did meet on many occasions) was a Fortune Teller and Tarot card reader in the UK. She "apparently" was very good and was a very spooky woman - I've seen old newspaper clippings and magazine articles from the 70/80s which reports on her activities. The reporters were all convinced it worked and was accurate. My mum totally distanced herself from the whole thing and never particularly liked it - even though her mum was keen to pass the 'gift' on (although I took this to be like a sale's tactic more than a gift :).. When she died she left the cards, tea leaf stuff and a crystal ball - which I never managed to get my hands on as I did fancy giving it a whirl for some extra beer money ;)

I had a friend who's mum was a tarot reader on the phone. I'm sure she was a genuine individual and believed what she was saying, but I don't think it's true. I listened to her whilst she was working one night. The people who phoned seemed like they just needed someone to talk to, from a young lady getting engaged a lonely older lady.

My friends mum was the kind of person who you would ask for advice a very motherly Jewish lady. She was brought up in a Bernardo's home in the East End of London and new a thing or two about life.

I think she had a spiritual gift but maybe not a psychic one.

i went to someone in onchan called neville a few years ago and he was very good, he did cards a swingy pendulum thing and then spoke to me and told me stuff that was very scary!! stuff he would ve never have known about! has anyone else been to him?

my sister went to see a lady in laxey but she was really crap she kept asking her the questions!

I've had a few readings over they years, and there's a couple of people I use who I would thoroughly recommend.

Firstly - David Craig -(not to be confused with Craig "can I get a rewind" David) - but he's really hard to get hold of.

Secondly a girl named Anne who lives in Christian road - she is excellent.

If you want details on either PM me.

When I got my reading from Anne she said some stuff that had happened to me and was spot on but also a load of stuff that I couldn't relate to - until now that is! It's kinda creepy going back over the tape she gave me and listening to what she said and seeing how much has actually come true. I'm not talking oh, you'll meet a man in a suit walking down the street type stuff, i mean names, specific dates etc

I think the woman manxgurl is referring to is Diane - i'm not too sure about her, but she has a decent house so she must make a good earner out of it! :P

I think it comes down to the reason why you are going. For years I wanted closure over my fathers death - the only time I got it was when I saw Anne. She was the first to really mention it - and in such detail. Maybe it's all a load of bull, but if it helps you, then it's all good. My mum thinks i'm mad, but whatever gets you thru the bad time ey!

I've had a reading done by Neville too and it was really really uncomfortable..I felt like he knew things about me I dont even admit to! It wasn't unpleasant, just very very edgy indeed. I had never met him before and indeed since. I've often thought of going to see him again, just to see if what I felt the first time was just luck.

I've also been to the lady in PSM whose name escapes me, i must look out the tape i made at the time (about 3 years ago) and see if anything has come true or whatever. The only thing I really do remember is that I went in expecting to hear from the dear departed and got a bollocking for wasting my life! And i can get that off my family for free!

I also saw an old lady at the Hilton spiritual weekend they had once and she was so coooooool! She started off with a little talk to a crowded room about how she had started and everyone thinking she was potty and lulled us all into a false sense of security.. and then said to a man on the front row 'dont you have something you want to ask me?' he insisted he didn't and she insisted he did, even the lady he was with agreed, but he said no and left the room in a huff. I've often wondered if he was a plant, or if he really did have some thing to ask her! Other people that she spoke to were very happy with her words, so I dont know.

I've had a few readings over they years, and there's a couple of people I use who I would thoroughly recommend.

Firstly - David Craig -(not to be confused with Craig "can I get a rewind" David) - but he's really hard to get hold of.

Secondly a girl named Anne who lives in Christian road - she is excellent.

If you want details on either PM me.

I spoke to someone today who also said "You should see David Craig, but he's very hard to get hold off". Is he a wandering psychic nomad or does he just always have his phone off?

My view is it is all bollocks. There are many sights that debunk these frauds with my current favourite James Randi's at www.randi.org Read some of the commentary arcihive material to get a flavour of a whole range of nonesense that generally parts the weak and vulnerable from their cash.

There is a great article about a how so called psychic, Keith Charles, peforms a cold reading. www.randi.org/jr/092603.html

After reading this you will understand how this trick is done. All that is needed is someone 'looking' for something (eg emotionally vulnerable) and lots of fast talk.

The site is a great read especially if you are a skeptic as I am.

Also - I heard that Scientology church on Woodburne Road in Douglas does some crazy stuff, anybody been to that? (I does actually sound very Whoopi Goldberg

Are you absolutely certain that you mean 'Scientology'. I didn't think that it yet exists on the IOM - though the IOM would be obvious recruiting territory for them and if they've made it to the island then god only knows what will happen. (Good - chap lawyers and smarmy investment fund managers (always first generation) are prone to thinking that they come from the heavens with special gifts and right on their side). The IOM would be a natural territory for 'Scientology'. Think about how the low churches, Mormonism and the daft Alpha movement took a hold on the IOM. People on the IOM are wide open to anti theological and idiotic righteousness.

I might be wrong. Have they made it to the island? The L Ron Hubbards. They would certainly go for for a low tax environment.

You ain't confusing them with Christian Scientists by any chance? Equally strange and silly but different. The Scientologists believe that they are re incarnated Thetan aliens AFAIK (their founder was a crap sci fi writer who once talked of planning to start a religion - which he then did). Where as the Christian Scientists believe that the white Jesus figure, if you pray to him, will cure your smoking related lung cancers / or a sore bum after too many shell fish.

The Scientologists aren't Christians. Christian Science is completely different but equally daft.

Dotty Christian Science has long been established on the IOM. Ditto the Mormons (who base thier beliefs on faked 19th C scripts). Ditto the daft Alpha Church people. Does Scientology really now also exist on the IOM?

Edited by simon

.. and then said to a man on the front row 'dont you have something you want to ask me?' he insisted he didn't and she insisted he did, even the lady he was with agreed, but he said no and left the room in a huff.

i laughed when that happened in phoenix nights withe peter Kay. The guy ofended evryone and got punched. by the man he was hassling to tell him something lol

Also - I heard that Scientology church on Woodburne Road in Douglas does some crazy stuff, anybody been to that? (I does actually sound very Whoopi Goldberg

Yeh you're right, I actually meant Christian Science. Scientology seems very bizarre and I understand Tom Cruise is an avvid follower. One of my past employers wanted to use personality tests which were a bit flaky to say the least, it turns out they were developed by the Hubbard institute!

I have always been baffled by this talk of being able to predict the future and contacting dead people. It’s a bit like trying to deal with income tax.

However, seriously, why are we fascinated by trying to work out our destiny before it has actually happened? Surely, the best part of life is not knowing what it is going to bring us because if we did know what was going to happen next we would just sit back and let life run its course.

As for contacting the dead it would appear that life is short enough and we should be satisfied that we will be joining the dead all too soon and have ample opportunity to catch up with everyone.

Clairvoyants and card readers etc. in my opinion whether they be genuine or not are just cashing in on people’s weaknesses of insecurity and fear of an unknown future. The same might be said of people connected with religion.

We should not be afraid of the future. It’s coming to all of us and there is little we can do to change it by worrying about it.

I'd believe theres something else after we leave this mortal coil, but I'm doubtful as to whether we'll be able to still communicate with this world once we get there...

I've heard a tape of a session with a medium over here (not sure who it was), when one of my family members wanted closure over the death of another of my family. To be honest every question and answer was led by the medium (cant think of any examples - I drew my conclusions whilst listening to it and then dismissed it as bullxxxx). I certainly didnt get the feeling that the medium was in touch with "the spirit world", or indeed that she knew anything other than she'd already been told at the start of the session.

Mediums could be a good thing in some ways though, someone might just want comfort and reassurance that their deceased loved one has gone to a better place. So even if it is all a load of pants, at least theyve gotten some comfort out of what the medium has told them.

Edited by TheScope

It is a total con.

During a similar discussion during Manxnet days, I came on as a fortune teller character - Magic Paul, self proclaimed fortune teller, (a real character who had died a few years earlier.) I did a 'reading' for a couple of members online, and amazed them at how accurate I summed up their lives and futures. It was just informed guesswork.

Ended up getting private PMs asking for further consultations.

They prey on the gullible - and in the case of mediums, prey on the desperate and lonely trying to get in touch with (usually) their recently deceased husbands.

The victims then spend the rest of their unhappy lives chasing those delusions and wasting their real lives.

The only truth in life is that Venetian Blinds are the greatest invention ever, because otherwise, it would be curtains for all of us.

I don't dispute that some people may have real abilities, but I seriously doubt it..

Mainly because I've performed too many "mind reading" tricks myself over the years (next to card tricks and all that other stuff) to really believe in it anymore.

Wheeler mentioned the right word in his post: Cold-Reading - it's an absolute art form that, when truly mastered, will let you appear as if you can really read minds and predict someone's future. I never bothered learning the heavy stuff (mainly because most people are so easily fooled that you don't need it), but still managed to freak quite a few people out..

Why not let me tell you something about you here and now - look at the screen and concentrate, then read my verdict about you:

Some of your aspirations tend to be pretty unrealistic. At times you are extroverted, affable, sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary and reserved. You have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others. You pride yourself on being an independent thinker and do not accept others' opinions without satisfactory proof. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety, and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations. At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing. Disciplined and controlled on the outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure on the inside.

Your sexual adjustment has presented some problems for you. While you have some personality weaknesses, you are generally able to compensate for them. You have a great deal of unused capacity which you have not turned to your advantage. You have a tendency to be critical of yourself. You have a strong need for other people to like you and for them to admire you.

You know what? Just read it yourself: Cold Reading Guide

And here you can buy your own How to cold read manual - have fun learning it and amaze your friends!