Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
joeyconcrete

Psychics/mediums/fortune Tellers

I was only thinking yesterday about how I used to experiment with stuff like this myself. Still got my tarot cards at home somewhere but I used to keep drawing them until I got the reading I wanted and they can be interpreted in many different ways so basically, you can't go wrong.

Something strange happened to me 6 or 7 years ago when I was experimenting. I can hardly believe it myself but it either happened and there are things in the world which we can't explain or I'm a crazy person. It's up to you to decide.

Anyway, somebody told me that if I got a bit of string, like a necklace and dangled it from my hand, I could ask "it" questions and it would circle in either a clockwise or anticlockwise motion for yes and no answers. I took of my ring (thought I'd use something close to me) and threaded a piece of cotton through and dangled it from my hands, resting my elbows on the table. Pretty soon I could feel something pulling it and looking at it, the ring was definitely moving in circles not in my control. I stopped asking it questions and just told it to spin as fast and as high as it could, then the other way, then backwards and forwards, etc, it was going crazy. Mum came home and I pulled her into the kitchen and told it to swing from side to side as high as it could and go over the top of my hand, it tried really hard to do this for what seemed like ages but it couldn't and it was starting to feel heavy now. We asked it a few more questions, but didn't get a lot out of the question side of things, to be honest I think it was getting sick of me pestering it. I tried to show it to somebody else later that evening but nothing happened, tried a couple of times since, again, nothing. If it wasn't for my mother seeing this, I probably wouldn't believe it myself.

Anyway, I've been to quite a few tarot readers and clairvoyants over the years but I'm quite sceptical these days and don't get much from them because I don't give much away. Every single one of them I've ever been to has told me the same thing, that I'd marry once and it would last a lifetime and I'd have two kids. None of this has happened, not yet anyway, and I'm just wondering how far into the future they're seeing, my next life maybe? It must be my face or something that makes them think this, or the fact that they think it's what I want to hear when I sit there looking all pathetic and girly and handing over my cash. If they were really in touch with the spirit world they'd tell them what I really want to hear is 5 husbands and 10 kids. Amen.

People who turn to this nonsense out of any motivation other than curiosity are going to be desperate and emotional sitting ducks.

For this reason, I'd go further and say it isn't only a con but downright exploitative.

Many of these people are preying on the vulnerable and using manipulation to pen these people into belief.

Some, I'm sure, aren't motivated by greed and do believe they're doing good, but looking at this as anything more than a party trick is dangerous.

I'm not against spiritualism but you need to find your own path and not subliminally follow one suggested to you.

I wore a fancy pair of shoes once when I went to a fortune teller. No particular reason, they were probably the only ones clean at the time. "Oooh, you like shoes don't you? Yes, you have lots of shoes." (I am a girl so it is expected of me to have more than one pair if that's what she meant but I don't have "lots"). "I see you having an accident, in your shoes, falling down some stairs. Be careful if you don't want this to happen."

Anyone had any sh1tter predictions based on flimsier evidence?

My father died 15 years ago and when I was having my reading I didn't mention any details about anything in my life and as far as i'm aware, i didn't react to any revelations she told me. What made me believe it was that she pin pointed the date my father died, and to be honest, that spooked me. She also gave me particular names and events and dates, and so far most of these have come true. She also told me exact stuff about my past - i mean EXACT - not generalisation - but EXACT details.

I don't deny that there are a lot of frauds out there, and people who do pick on the vulnerable and so on. But even if it is all bull - but like I said before- whatever gets you thru. Sure, if you live by these things it can take over your life and then that's bad, and if it makes someone that bit happier - is it really the worst thing in the world?

When my ex and I were splitting up he decided to take the road of solace from mediums. One night he came back and told me how my late father had contacted him through the medium and had said not to be so silly, we shouldn't split up! I immediately told him that if my father had anything to say to me he would do so directly and he wouldn't counsel against splitting up as it was such a dreadful marriage. I put the whole lot into the class of charlatans and those that use them for their own ends, even worse.

PS. Life is great now and my father hasn't been back!!

Poor Survivor

1.    Conned by a charlatan

2.     Gets tattoo

Poor me? why? because I managed to get closure on something that I hadn't done in years - no matter how it happened - i think that helps - so why poor? You don't know what was said - so how do you know i was conned?

As for the tattoo - again why poor me?

Edited by Survivor

I got my tarot cards read before I came to the isle of man and everything that the woman told me has come true. I only went because my friends were going and asked me to come along. I didn't believe the things she told me until day by day they started coming true.

I don't know if the things she told me and the things that happened were coincidental but it was very spooky when everything she told me came true.

I am - always - a skeptic. For many years I have mocked the idea of being able to contact the dead, foretell the future etc. I am even skeptical about the renowned James Randi - a second-rate conjuror who uses showmanship to make a living out of debunking myths and charlatans whilst desperately pursuing the paths of self-publicity and personal aggrandisement.

I must, however, comment on the 'talents' of David Craig - who was previously mentioned in this thread.

I was persuaded, very much against my will, to have a tarot card reading by him some years ago. Determined not to give any clues or assistance, I spent the whole session stone-faced and silent.

He began by telling me that my household was a mainly female one (apart from myself and my wife there were four of our daughters living at home at the time). He then went on to talk about 'a mother who isn't a mother - and a mother who is a mother, but isn't really a mother' - something that clearly puzzled him greatly! (I was actually raised by a wonderful foster mother while my natural mother lived across working hard to provide my keep)

He then asked what the connection was with London Bridge - and I was able to confidently say "There isn't one." He kept returning to it, however, (as the tape of the session shows), being very specific that it was London Bridge and nowhere else - and I thought it complete nonsense.

A few weeks later, however, we won ourselves a cruise in a magazine competition.

On our way south to meet the ship at Dover, the only place we could stay overnight without incurring extra costs was at my 'real' mother's flat in London. (We simply couldn't have afforded hotel accomodation at that time).

The following morning we had to catch the train to Dover from London Bridge station.

So, it proves nothing, you might say - but it certainly was a very remarkable coincidence!

Ultimately, if you are a real skeptic, I think you have to be skeptical about the skeptics as well!

If anyone is interested in this kind of thing, I would have to say give this guy a chance if you can - it certainly can't do any harm and he's quite happy to let you tape the whole thing for future reference.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Survivor, I am Anne that gave you the reading, thankyou for your kind words and I am so happy that the reading gave you the closure you needed.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Survivor, I am Anne that gave you the reading, thankyou for your kind words and I am so happy that the reading gave you the closure you needed.

heya Anne - you have no idea! even now i have to listen to the tape you gave me just to double check things - and man - you are unbelievable! Even the home thing, at the time i was like "me move? no way, i like my flat, i'm not going anywhere", then 2 months later, here I am going home, just as you said!

You're quite right that everyone has their own opinion, and that's fair enough, but when people spout off about things that they haven't even tried, or at least given an open mind too, i just don't think their opinion counts - IMO :P

survivor, some people will never believe, no matter how much evidence they are given, don't let them get to you. I know my beliefs and they are not going to change by a handful of ignorant fools.

alriteyessir, I do not give out predictions on or offline. But my money will be on Italy this time. Just hope Totti doesnt spit on anyone.