Whistleblowing - Will it run out of puff ?

This mornings House of Keys had the question (from Julie Edge) on progress on a new Whistleblowing Policy. This of course was determined as not really  fit for purpose by the Whistleblowing Committee and agreed in Tynwald. The outcome was to develop extend and expand the existing arrangements.

Apparently since then in my view not much has happened. (Covid don't you know).

Meanwhile this current not fit for purpose approach remains the only way anyone can raise legitimate concerns that may need 'airing' with all the potential personal and organisational detrimental consequences highlighted in the Tynwald debate.

Chris Thomas tried to get the Minister to commit to delivery within this administration but after describing the process of consultation it doesn't seem achievable in the time frame.

Kicked into the long grass ?

• Like 1

I don't think it will get much further, all you would hear as you walk past any government building would be whistles!

The island is too small a place for effective protection to be given to whistleblowers, someone will always blab!

4 hours ago, Apple said:

This mornings House of Keys had the question (from Julie Edge) on progress on a new Whistleblowing Policy. This of course was determined as not really  fit for purpose by the Whistleblowing Committee and agreed in Tynwald. The outcome was to develop extend and expand the existing arrangements.

Apparently since then in my view not much has happened. (Covid don't you know).

Meanwhile this current not fit for purpose approach remains the only way anyone can raise legitimate concerns that may need 'airing' with all the potential personal and organisational detrimental consequences highlighted in the Tynwald debate.

Chris Thomas tried to get the Minister to commit to delivery within this administration but after describing the process of consultation it doesn't seem achievable in the time frame.

Kicked into the long grass ?

I suspect this Policy will be handled by the IOMG in a similar way to the FOI requests. The government will not like it or want it and will do everything it can to delay and minimise it.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Holte End said:

You show your true self with statements like that.

Most people are too frightened of speaking out because of idoits like you and your statement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48984491

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_whistleblowers

This sadly looks like a failed exercise to me. You could have put money on the agreed government solution being a diluted down half-assed job rather than the robust system that the steering group seemed to want. Some of the banks and big financial institutions have some really effective third party portals which are subject to independent oversight where all this sort of thing is dealt with through. Not long ago there was a £650,000 payout by a financial services company for trying to destroy a whistle blower who reported them to the FSA.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Mr Roboto said:

This sadly looks like a failed exercise to me. You could have put money on the agreed government solution being a diluted down half-assed job rather than the robust system that the steering group seemed to want. Some of the banks and big financial institutions have some really effective third party portals which are subject to independent oversight where all this sort of thing is dealt with through. Not long ago there was a £650,000 payout by a financial services company for trying to destroy a whistle blower who reported them to the FSA.

It would be the end of Mr Harmer if that was the case as it a complete failure for the workers and I would make sure Peel and Glen Maye would know about it.

4 minutes ago, Holte End said:

It would be the end of Mr Harmer if that was the case as it a complete failure for the workers and I would make sure Peel and Glen Maye would know about it.

He won’t get back in anyway. He’s deader than Wee Jock McDead, winner of last years Mr Dead contest. 

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, Holte End said:

It would be the end of Mr Harmer if that was the case as it a complete failure for the workers

Services and the public will lose out if we can't organise a better system for this after it has been deemed useless. Surely we should be constantly striving to higher standards for everyone, and for everyone's benefit.

Being able to recognise and deal with issues that fall short, either deliberately or by faulty design, events that may harm someone in some way, needs challenging and changing to try and prevent the same harm to anyone else. This would also apply to financial losses with public monies.

• Like 2