Liberalism, what went wrong?

Max Power

So we all agree, when it comes to employment what matters is the quality of your work and not adherence to a particular ideology or group think, and generally a person's character and behaviour is what is important and not the colour of their skin. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Chinahand said:

So we all agree, when it comes to employment what matters is the quality of your work and not adherence to a particular ideology or group think, and generally a person's character and behaviour is what is important and not the colour of their skin. 

Or age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation....

14 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Or age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation....

1 hour ago, Chinahand said:

Because of the importance of corporate image and being “on trend” and “on message” there is an enormous importance attached to not saying or doing something as an employee that contradicts the values and image of the employer.

And you know that when you get taken on, so, if you’re sensible, and want to stay employed, you have to keep your contradictory ideas and views  unexpressed.

And as the Israel Folau case demonstrates, both sides have rights, and we’re struggling to balance those rights in a fair and proportionate manner.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Darwin was criticised in an Editorial in Science recently.

Robert Wright, who wrote one of the most interesting books I've ever read - Non-Zero - takes the criticism apart.  Darwin maybe of his time, but the trendy academic wanting to distort his views, is also very much of his.

It's a good read:

https://nonzero.substack.com/p/the-truth-about-darwin

Edited by Chinahand
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Robert Wright, who wrote one of the most interesting books I've ever read - Non-Zero - takes the criticism apart.  Darwin maybe of his time, but the trendy academic wanting to distort his views, is also very much of his.

It's a good read:

A good article, thanks for posting. There seems to be a fear to try to explain anything which doesn't agree with the perceived wisdom of the day.

12 hours ago, Chinahand said:

It's a good read:

Both pieces look broadly correct from where I'm sitting.

Judging people by current standards is flawed - humans are, largely, products of environment.

Acknowledging that someone's views are pretty poor by today's standards - also important.

I don't see these two things as being conflicting.

• Like 1

The issue is the modern academic is claiming Darwin justified Imperialism etc. When he did no such thing; he explained the ebbs and flows of empires. These are different things and a practicing academic should understand that, so it is reasonable to ask why they want to create a distorted narrative. 

The racism charge is also difficult to press as the entire goal of the Descent of Man is that humanity is essentially unified. Darwin also actively aspired for war to "see the great curse on Earth slavery abolished". 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

The issue is the modern academic is claiming Darwin justified Imperialism etc. When he did no such thing; he explained the ebbs and flows of empires. These are different things and a practicing academic should understand that, so it is reasonable to ask why they want to create a distorted narrative. 

The racism charge is also difficult to press as the entire goal of the Descent of Man is that humanity is essentially unified. Darwin also actively aspired for war to "see the great curse on Earth slavery abolished". 

"Person gets thing wrong" isn't the most astounding headline though is it!

15 minutes ago, HeliX said:

"Person gets thing wrong" isn't the most astounding headline though is it!

It does seem to happen a lot yes, but the consequences of getting it wrong seem to lead to all sorts of escalations of misunderstandings. 

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It does seem to happen a lot yes, but the consequences of getting it wrong seem to lead to all sorts of escalations of misunderstandings. 

Does it though? I see this sort of thing asserted a lot, but I'd struggle to bring anything of consequence to memory.

24 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Does it though? I see this sort of thing asserted a lot, but I'd struggle to bring anything of consequence to memory.

I think it is mainly that many small incorrect assertions build a picture of something which doesn't really exist, or didn't, whichever the case may be?

21 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think it is mainly that many small incorrect assertions build a picture of something which doesn't really exist, or didn't, whichever the case may be?

Sure, but it seems to be often framed as a deliberate part of "liberalist" culture. Which I don't think there's evidence to support.