Arbory, Castletown & Malew

19 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

In Steve Crowthers manifesto (arrived today) he says "As a candidate for the 2016 election I was 1% close to being elected".

SIgh.

Cregeens also arrived today but i won't be opening it. No sign of Glover or Moorhen.

I suppose he's trying to indicate that he was only 41 votes behind Cregeen (though Gawne was only 19 behind) and that's about 1% of those who voted (3268), but it's a bit of a stretch.  But people love the "One more push" line.

Glover's manifesto arrived last Friday I think (though it's the only one online so far).  It's as meaninglessly bland as you'd expect from someone whose slogan is "a listening voice".

Edited to add: No sign of Moorhouse's yet (except for the poster-type thing he shoved in my hand when canvassing), though leaving it to the last week is probably optimal.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I suppose he's trying to indicate that he was only 41 votes behind Cregeen (though Gawne was only 19 behind) and that's about 1% of those who voted (3268), but it's a bit of a stretch.  But people love the "One more push" line.

Glover's manifesto arrived last Friday I think (though it's the only one online so far).  It's as meaninglessly bland as you'd expect from someone whose slogan is "a listening voice".

Edited to add: No sign of Moorhouse's yet (except for the poster-type thing he shoved in my hand when canvassing), though leaving it to the last week is probably optimal.

A sobering thought that imo Mr Moorhouse is the best of the candidates ! For me it's him, and anyone but Cregeen.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, asitis said:

A sobering thought that imo Mr Moorhouse is the best of the candidates ! For me it's him, and anyone but Cregeen.

It's a coin flip between Crowther and Glover. Thing is, I don't really like either of them. I expect Glovers manx radio fame, even though the briefings showed him to be inept, will be enough to get him in so I'm leaning to Crowther.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's a coin flip between Crowther and Glover. Thing is, I don't really like either of them. I expect Glovers manx radio fame, even though the briefings showed him to be inept, will be enough to get him in so I'm leaning to Crowther.

I get the impression that Glover will fit perfectly into the system, repeating whatever nonsense the civil service tells him and genuinely nonplussed when nothing works.  After all that's basically been his broadcasting career.  He's making all the right "Something must be done!" noises, while never saying what the something is.  He's not alone in that of course - there's quite a few candidates who are similar insiders pretending to be outsiders (Mann for example).

Crowther's rather bumptious and I wish he would stop banging on about his eco-house, but he does seem to have a few ideas, so I'm probably voting for him and Moorhouse.  Oh well, it could be Douglas North.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

I get the impression that Glover will fit perfectly into the system, repeating whatever nonsense the civil service tells him and genuinely nonplussed when nothing works.  After all that's basically been his broadcasting career.  He's making all the right "Something must be done!" noises, while never

Glover literally is an awful candidate. Lazy Manx establishment right the way though with a lazy 20 year career of doing next to nothing to advance Manx politics behind him. He hasn’t even made any pledges in his manifesto either other than to listen. A complete waste of anyones vote. Just vote for the one person you want in these constituencies and screw the others would be my tactic. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

Glover literally is an awful candidate. Lazy Manx establishment right the way though with a lazy 20 year career of doing next to nothing to advance Manx politics behind him. He hasn’t even made any pledges in his manifesto either other than to listen. A complete waste of anyones vote. Just vote for the one person you want in these constituencies and screw the others would be my tactic. 

The trouble with that tactic is that you're voting against as well for.  If you fail to use your second vote (and about a quarter of people do) you risk getting the candidate you hate getting elected instead of the one you merely despise.

• Like 3

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

The trouble with that tactic is that you're voting against as well for.  If you fail to use your second vote (and about a quarter of people do) you risk getting the candidate you hate getting elected instead of the one you merely despise.

But you also run the risk of the candidate that you really like losing to the one you can just about bear because at least he's not Cregeen. And Cregeen still getting in. 

Having just read Cregeens manifesto, in between bouts of nausea, I note he calls himself "your full time MHK" WTF does that mean, do we have part time ones ? However I am struck by the bit where he slopes shoulders away from the junction in Ballasalla blaming Treasury for the fact that it won't now be a roundabout as outlined. Too late Cregeen, you were Dandaras cheerleader to get their 350 houses built, trash everyones property now obstructed on Douglas Road and built an utterly nonsensical bypass to solve a problem which didn't exist ! The only problem that existed was Dandaras, in which they needed to get a tame MHK onboard to push this through. I hope you are not only toast but embarrassingly so on the 23rd !!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, asitis said:

Having just read Cregeens manifesto, in between bouts of nausea, I note he calls himself "your full time MHK" WTF does that mean, do we have part time ones ? 

I'm glad someone else gets annoyed at that.  ACM may not be blessed with good candidates, but together with Glover's "A listening voice" we're doing quite well for asinine slogans.

It's also odd because it would only make sense if it was aimed at Moorhouse, implying that ACM also had a part-time MHK.  But whatever else you say about Moorhouse, you can't really deny he puts the effort in.  There are MHKs who have outside business interests who you do wonder if they put in the hours - it certainly doesn't appear in terms of Tynwald contributions, but why should Cregeen be having a go at them?

51 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

That's right. Can't remember what, but he definitely is

Whether he can remember is another issue.

There's a rather revealing bit in his manifesto where he says he was "disappointed to learn, while I've been canvassing, that [the service direct to Noble's Hospital] has since been removed from Ballacriy and Friary Park"[1].  Of course with bus timetables being top secret, you couldn't expect him to know otherwise.

It's not just that he's clueless, it's that he doesn't even realise that this makes him look clueless.

[1]  What's actually happened is that the hourly 1H service now goes via Shore Road rather than Colby, so all of Colby and Ballabeg actually miss out - though they could change at Castletown it will add another 15 minutes to a long journey.

• Like 1