Arbory, Castletown & Malew

23 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Whether he can remember is another issue.

There's a rather revealing bit in his manifesto where he says he was "disappointed to learn, while I've been canvassing, that [the service direct to Noble's Hospital] has since been removed from Ballacriy and Friary Park"[1].  Of course with bus timetables being top secret, you couldn't expect him to know otherwise.

It's not just that he's clueless, it's that he doesn't even realise that this makes him look clueless.

[1]  What's actually happened is that the hourly 1H service now goes via Shore Road rather than Colby, so all of Colby and Ballabeg actually miss out - though they could change at Castletown it will add another 15 minutes to a long journey.

It really is sad that the only time some MHK's will listen to anything, other-than-the-voices-in-their-head-telling-them-how-wonderful-a-chief-minister-they-would-be, is when they turn up on someone's doorstep seeking a vote. Fifteen years wasted. Let's hope AMC do the decent thing and don't make it twenty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

[1]  What's actually happened is that the hourly 1H service now goes via Shore Road rather than Colby, so all of Colby and Ballabeg actually miss out - though they could change at Castletown it will add another 15 minutes to a long journey.

Better still change (in normal times) in douglas, Get off on Pully bridge and get a different bus from peel road. The south buses that go to the hospital take about 2 hours via all of onchan.

I doubt Cregeen has been on a bus, knows where to get a bus, knows where buses go or even what even is a bus.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Better still change (in normal times) in douglas, Get off on Pully bridge and get a different bus from peel road. The south buses that go to the hospital take about 2 hours via all of onchan.

I doubt Cregeen has been on a bus, knows where to get a bus, knows where buses go or even what even is a bus.

That was sort of my point.  Plus the fact he's too lazy to look it up and understand it.  He sees the job of MHK as being making sympathetic noises when people bring you problems and hoping a civil servant will sort it out.

I've known a few people who preferred using the 1H despite the extra time because poor mobility or vision made them want to avoid changes but the way you suggest is clearly the more convenient for most people and there's even a timetable to help.

48 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You are probably correct as he was the minister in charge of buses

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That was sort of my point.  Plus the fact he's too lazy to look it up and understand it.  He sees the job of MHK as being making sympathetic noises when people bring you problems and hoping a civil servant will sort it out.

I've known a few people who preferred using the 1H despite the extra time because poor mobility or vision made them want to avoid changes but the way you suggest is clearly the more convenient for most people and there's even a timetable to help.

It might not affect many but one problem with changing buses here is there is no option to get a through fare ticket ( other than a £7 day ticket) something that should be easy to implement with bus vannins ‘state of the art ‘ ticketing system

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

You also could get on the bus going to Port Erin and stay on it as it goes through PSM and along the Shore Road. Same arrival time, little longer journey but no need to change. 

Do we know when the change was? I’m thinking at least since spring 2019 when the 15 minute Douglas to Castletown service came in. 

Just now, Declan said:

Do we know when the change was? I’m thinking at least since spring 2019 when the 15 minute Douglas to Castletown service came in. 

I think it was only this April or whenever the latest timetable came in.  It looks like they have done it to try to spread the buses from Nobles more evenly across the hour, but it does mean it misses out where all the passengers are between PE/PSM and Castletown unless they take one of the more roundabout options.

42 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think it was only this April or whenever the latest timetable came in.  It looks like they have done it to try to spread the buses from Nobles more evenly across the hour, but it does mean it misses out where all the passengers are between PE/PSM and Castletown unless they take one of the more roundabout options.

Not according to a 2020 timetable I found. 

18 minutes ago, asitis said:

Well that's done, there were some members of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Assoc there as observers , apparently Mugabe sent them to ensure free and fair elections LOL.

Standard practice to despatch observers to Elections in dodgy banana republics :w00t:

It will be interesting to see what their subsequent report on proceedings says, let's hope there's not another "Kirk Michael" under their vigil.

26 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Standard practice to despatch observers to Elections in dodgy banana republics :w00t:

It will be interesting to see what their subsequent report on proceedings says, let's hope there's not another "Kirk Michael" under their vigil.

I know nothing about election procedures, but it would seem odd, not here I hasten to add, but in other less transparent places to be using pencil for the voting slips !

2 hours ago, Declan said:

It’s weird on the bus going through AMC. Lots of Glover posters in Colby,   Moorehouse and Crowther in Castletown and Creegan in Ballasalla. 

However, Glover’s were in people’s windows. 

I noticed the other day however that Glover's were all clustered around where he lives in Colby, including presumably his own house.  And both Moorhouse and Crowther have quite a few in people's windows within the 'old' Town.  But again they both live there.  But the constituency hasn't really gelled together.

• Thanks 1