Arbory, Castletown & Malew

2 minutes ago, Whatnonsence said:

One major worry in the constituency is will Castle Rushen school be built or will it be a casualty of the COVID pandemic? 

It’s in the approved budget so should proceed 

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2021 at 6:08 PM, TheTeapot said:

It is a frankly absurd situation where Jason Moorhouse is being openly talked of as the preferred candidate. But he is.

As I was told by a southside friend lately, ‘People will vote for useless to avoid voting for dangerous’. 

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

As I was told by a southside friend lately, ‘People will vote for useless to avoid voting for dangerous’. 

All our candidates fit into the useless bracket. You could argue Cregeen has been dangerous, having been given a senior role, but only through ineptitude rather than desire.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

Better the devil you know I guess 🤷‍♂️

A very poor starting point for electing a national politician but no doubt the approach of many when in the polling booth. Especially in that god forsaken constituency.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

All our candidates fit into the useless bracket. You could argue Cregeen has been dangerous, having been given a senior role, but only through ineptitude rather than desire.

Within a matter of hours I’ll be on my way from Howard Quayle’s micro disaster zone to Boris Johnson’s macro equivalent, for what looks to be an extended stay. I shan’t miss the hustings/bollocks/disappointment and inevitably blackly comic new CoMin of the next couple of months. I’ve never been so utterly unmoved and disinterested in an impending election and its consequences. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uhtred said:

I’ve never been so utterly unmoved and disinterested in an impending election and its consequences. 

I feel the same. 2016 GE seemed to offer hope, though all the excellent-on-paper successful candidates performed poorly once in CoMin. Today, I don’t even see potentially good MHKs. Maybe I am wrong and the new ones will do well 🤷‍♂️

One or two exceptions maybe. 

Edited by 747-400
typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 747-400 said:

I feel the same. 2016 GE seemed to offer hope, though all the excellent-on-paper successful candidates performed poorly once in CoMin. Today, I don’t even see potentially good MHKs. Maybe I am wrong and the new ones will do well 🤷‍♂️

One or two exceptions maybe. 

Except none of the 2016 entrants made it to CoMin at first because all appointments were made entirely on seniority not merit.  Which shows how little the civil servants think who the Minister is matters.  Ashford was brought in later and has proved inadequate under any sort of pressure, Baker ditto and Allinson hasn't really been there long enough to be judged, though at least he does seem to realise what a mess the DESC is.  None of the other newbies had a chance yet.

But it's true that with their background you would have expected Baker and Harmer for example to be more impressive and Cannan has also be fairly mute.

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But it's true that with their background you would have expected Baker and Harmer for example to be more impressive and Cannan has also be fairly mute.

Exactly. And I don’t understand the hype around Cannan. As you say, he is fairly quiet.

Have hope in some of the female intake during the last session, if re-elected. Barber and Christian. 

Mr Cannan is deliberately quiet & when he speaks you'll only hear honeyed words

Having outsourced the future of the economy to KPMG, it's expected by me at least that his manifesto will include little in the way of policy statements

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Except none of the 2016 entrants made it to CoMin at first because all appointments were made entirely on seniority not merit.  Which shows how little the civil servants think who the Minister is matters.  Ashford was brought in later and has proved inadequate under any sort of pressure, Baker ditto and Allinson hasn't really been there long enough to be judged, though at least he does seem to realise what a mess the DESC is.  None of the other newbies had a chance yet.

The reason Comin was made up as it was is because Quayle had promised jobs to his supporters & had to give Cannan a job . Very poor that no women got a look in with Quayle supporters being promoted 

• Like 1