Arbory, Castletown & Malew

35 minutes ago, Whatnonsence said:

Mr Crowther has stated that Castle Rushen school has gone way above budget and is on hold. The swimming pool is also threatened.

CRHS is not the oldest school building that they have in their property portfolio, not even the oldest in Castletown so why does it need replacing?

6 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

CRHS is not the oldest school building that they have in their property portfolio, not even the oldest in Castletown so why does it need replacing?

I'm not sure it all does, but certain bits definitely do and others need massively updating. Also building a school on those fields means they can't become houses.

There has been a lot of groundwork done, loads of pipework and levelling. Big pipe running down to the stream that comes out at Pooil Vaash farm. Work has been going on there all summer.

Personally I'd be delighted if they hurried up and got it done by next September, as the nipper goes to big school then. Not going to happen though. Maybe they'll be done by the time he starts year 10.

30 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm not sure it all does, but certain bits definitely do and others need massively updating. Also building a school on those fields means they can't become houses.

There has been a lot of groundwork done, loads of pipework and levelling. Big pipe running down to the stream that comes out at Pooil Vaash farm. Work has been going on there all summer.

Personally I'd be delighted if they hurried up and got it done by next September, as the nipper goes to big school then. Not going to happen though. Maybe they'll be done by the time he starts year 10.

You mean Maybe they’ll be done by the time he starts TEACHING year 10 ?

No chance they will have it done in three years.

1 hour ago, Whatnonsence said:

Mr Crowther has stated that Castle Rushen school has gone way above budget and is on hold. The swimming pool is also threatened.

Crowther was fairly scathing about the project on the Manx Radio debate (it came up at various times as you'd expect):

What does strike me though is the acceptance of the overall cost.  I found benchmark figures from 2018 which gave a per pupil price of around £16k.  If there are a 1000 pupils at Castle Rushen, that's maybe £20 million max.  Remoteness will add something to that but Shetland built a new school for £42 million a few years ago.  We seem to to be talking £60-70 million and longer build period than Shetland managed (their's also included a hall of residence for £14 million extra to the above). 

3 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

It could be many reasons. For instance: electric wiring, plumbing, air con, heating and hot water, windows, doors, fire regs and alarms, and of the structure itself- Asbestos? Dry/wet rot? 

Often it's better long-term to just start over, demolish and rebuild rather than maintain. A new build, bigger, lighter, to modern standards and surely more ergonomic, reducing costs in services in the long-term and hopefully 'greener'.

1 minute ago, quilp said:

It could be many reasons. For instance: electric wiring, plumbing, air con, heating and hot water, windows, doors, fire regs and alarms, and of the structure itself- Asbestos? Dry/wet rot? 

Often it's better long-term to just start over, demolish and rebuild rather than maintain. A new build, bigger, lighter, to modern standards and surely more ergonomic, reducing costs in services in the long-term and hopefully 'greener'.

That would depend on who they get to build it!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, quilp said:

You're probably right there finlo. Can UK firms put in a tender on projects like this or are our contractors protected? 

Don't know but I do know some of our new build stuff suffer from more problems than those they replaced!

A question for Tim

Why did you when doing tt stuff never question a single death or bad organisation and towed the line when Government was shovelling money at something that would inevitably cause deaths yet tried acting like Jeremy Paxman when questioning Ministers on covid?