Arbory, Castletown & Malew

54 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Watching that, I thought Glover won it but Crowther could be a dark horse the two sitting members defo not shoe ins.

I wasn't that impressed by Glover who came across as a bit of a lightweight and didn't have much to say.  As a professional communicator he was fluent enough, but there wasn't much content.   If he gets in I could see him sitting there happily doing whatever the civil servants tell him - rather like Baker.   Moorhouse seemed at least to have studied the subjects, though he was pretty poor at getting it across.

Crowther was a bit bombastic and pushy (very much the architect) but he impressed me a bit more than I expected and seemed to have done the work.  Cregeen was as hopeless as we'd expect and I got the impression that canvassing was going so badly that even he has twigged he's going to lose (he only scraped in last time).

Moorhouse seems popular in Castletown judging by posters, but I'm not sure about the other 60% of the constituency.  He plugs away on local matters so he may have increased his support elsewhere.  Crowther has a base from last time and Glover will be strong in Arbory, though Manx Radio may help less than you think.  But it may be close between those three.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, finlo said:

Don't know but I do know some of our new build stuff suffer from more problems than those they replaced!

With the increase in population since the 30's and 40's all our secondary schools have required regular expansion and continue to do so, at great expense. Keeping them all fit for purpose in this way is a never-ending money-pit. Continued renovation and refurbishment, as opposed to new-build with areas zoned and planned for future expansion is the more expensive option over 25-30 years, say. Just a guess... 

10 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Cregeen was as hopeless as we'd expect and I got the impression that canvassing was going so badly that even he has twigged he's going to lose (he only scraped in last time).

But he's going to be chief minister isn't he? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 9/4/2021 at 10:44 PM, TheTeapot said:

I don't think that its that he's popular, its just that he's not an asshole.

Having spoken at length to Mr Moorhouse he is far more intelligent than his communication skills would have you believe.

Not being a great orator hopefully will not be an impediment to his re election. We need people with IQ to make some sense of the mess the current comin dead heads have left behind.

Edited by asitis

2 hours ago, asitis said:

Having spoken at length to Mr Moorhouse he is far more intelligent than his communication skills would have you believe.

Not being a great orator hopefully will not be an impediment to his re election. We need people with IQ to make some sense of the mess the current comin dead heads have left behind.

He can have my vote. Flip a coin for the other one sadly.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

He can have my vote. Flip a coin for the other one sadly.

Probably Crowther for me he's not a dummy and my view of Glover although I haven't spoken to him is he could be another company man given his antecedents !

2 minutes ago, asitis said:

Probably Crowther for me he's not a dummy and my view of Glover although I haven't spoken to him is he could be another company man given his antecedents !

I haven't spoken to either of them yet. I'm not sure I want to.

• Haha 1

On 9/6/2021 at 7:36 AM, asitis said:

Totally agree. 

As much of the South is getting covered in housing as I was wandering around Ramsey and Douglas today I looked in at a few estate agents. I was struck by the number of houses which are for sale, none of which were addressing the problems of a housing shortage for younger people, majority of which were far too expensive. The cheerleaders for the developers are doing nothing to address the problem, as developers are not building for the FTB either. Unless we start to address this by stopping genuflecting at the altar of developers, and skewing the market towards encouraging a sustainable and younger population the problem will get worse. Dullards like Cregeen seem to forget that youngsters need a place to start and 275k aint it !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2