Ayre & Michael

2 hours ago, joebean said:

Unfortunately, that is what you get with elections of candidates who are independent. Well meaning people who are willing to give it a go. Without proper political parties standing on a comprehensive, well constructed and costed manifesto that is all you will ever get. What we get is a choice of mostly well-intentioned amateurs standing on very flimsy manifesto/wish lists and the electorate have to choose which one or two, based on this flimsy information, they like the look of best. It is no way to choose a government or even cast a vote effectively. If I had any intention of voting, the information I have seen to date would give me a fair idea of who I would not want to vote for, but not much of an idea of who I might want to vote for. It is just the usual guess or Hobson's choice. No way to run a democracy, if that is what it really is.

Have you seen the type of political party candidates, a gaggle of ladyboys identifying as lib Van, about as honest and well meaning as a seasoned criminal.
Labour, daddies girls wanting to get on the gravy train, who prefers to identify as ‘politics is in my blood’ rather than ‘Mooches’ market was the family business.

The Green Party, well to be fair the latter don’t seem to be getting a leg up by someone else’s bank balance.  Their credit worthiness is yet to be seen. 

we can only be grateful that PK didn’t procreate, but if he did I think his offspring would be like Cretneys. Standing up for free meal tickets. 

The IOM where you can get a 70k job and a pension by finding 500 people to tick a box. 

Democracy, my hairy arse. 

8 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

Have you seen the type of political party candidates, a gaggle of ladyboys identifying as lib Van, about as honest and well meaning as a seasoned criminal.
Labour, daddies girls wanting to get on the gravy train, who prefers to identify as ‘politics is in my blood’ rather than ‘Mooches’ market was the family business.

The Green Party, well to be fair the latter don’t seem to be getting a leg up by someone else’s bank balance.  Their credit worthiness is yet to be seen. 

we can only be grateful that PK didn’t procreate, but if he did I think his offspring would be like Cretneys. Standing up for free meal tickets. 

The IOM where you can get a 70k job and a pension by finding 500 people to tick a box. 

Of course, you can’t use the existing so-called Parties on the Isle of Man as an example of how Party Politics should be done, or how it should work. That is why I am still finding no reason to take a trip to the polling booth. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

You're an offensive cnut

• Like 1

Well, with effectively a week to go I have now received manifestos from Baker, Cannan, Johnston, Weatherall and Westall. Livingstone's is online. What Boussougou and Corkill are doing is anyone's guess.

I also attended one of the public meetings. Sadly it was rather tame. Listening to Baker was painful. Weatherall and Westall prattled on excessively in my view, and the latter pontificated too much, giving the impression that she knows best so we had better vote for her or else. Johnston and Cannan played it safe, nothing controversial, nothing inspiring. I felt Livingstone actually spoke best, not that it was a very high bar, but I'm not sure whether his proposals will widely appeal.

I'd love to have a pint with Corkill, but wouldn't want him representing my interests in the Keys for 5 minutes let alone 5 years.

Boussougou is almost as left-field as Fowler and probably just as dangerous.

Cannan will inevitably top the poll, but second place could be tight.

I know I really should vote, and probably will, but in common with joebean I'm not inspired to rush off to the polling station with my morning coffee and toast in hand...

On 9/14/2021 at 10:12 AM, SleepyJoe said:

You're an offensive cnut

He's right about the salary being ridiculously high for what is essentially unskilled part-time work representing tiny numbers of constituents.

6 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Was she a good teacher? I think she comes across well as a candidate

She was ok I think. No real memories one way or another. Not overly helpful I know, but at least she’s educated, if that matters. 

• Like 1

At the Kirk Michael meeting last week she stated that we are a Christian society and the Bishop should have a vote on all matters, especially ethical matters such as abortion. 

The groan from the audience suggested she lost quite a few votes with those comments! 

• Like 4