Douglas East

FFS if I wasn't Manx, had no family here and I'd made a ton of money on eGaming or any other ethically questionable enterprise, the last thing I'd be doing is to try and ingratiate myself with the Manx & be elected to a tin pot parliament.

There must be more to this than meets the eye. Would anyone in their right mind prefer to tout for votes on Bucks Road rather than fill their boots in the south of France or SE Asia??

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, germann said:

FFS if I wasn't Manx, had no family here and I'd made a ton of money on eGaming or any other ethically questionable enterprise, the last thing I'd be doing is to try and ingratiate myself with the Manx & be elected to a tin pot parliament.

There must be more to this than meets the eye. Would anyone in their right mind prefer to tout for votes on Bucks Road rather than fill their boots in the south of France or SE Asia??

But he hasn’t worked there for years, doesn’t seem to have been able to hold post for long there or since, works as part time delivery guy for coop and then made up role in mtp he needs the job n money or he will have to sod of back to Germany to drop of hi# passport on way to Aussie. 

23 minutes ago, buncha wankas said:

I think we all know the answer to that question, so imagine my disappointment on scrolling down only to discover that there wasn't one of him making the "wanker" gesture.

tenor.gif giphy.gif giphy.gif

Edited by Sheldon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, germann said:

The three voting age members of this Douglas East household intentionally registered to vote to keep this dangerous sociopathic opportunist out. 

Faragher and Barber look the best choices to prevent him getting in. 

Absolutely

Vote Joney & Clare

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

Who indeed? Is it actually him who has done that? It isn't beyond the realms of belief that, err, someone else could have done that. 

On 9/17/2021 at 8:48 AM, Declan said:

Look, Amadeus is deeply flawed - we know that. But let's not let his error on this thread distract from the fact that Josem is real  threat to the Island in the election that is less than a week away. Let me reiterate - 

• He was a member of the right wing Australian political party
  • He was a prominent supporter of Brexit
  • He runs a campaigning organisaition - Manx Tax Payers Alliance - that is modelled on a UK one that is close to the Right of the UK Tory party.
  • Yet he is standing under a false flag of "Liberal Vannin".
  • A fellow Liberal Vannin candidate was Gubey's henchman and some decidedly illiberal views.
  • The source of funding of the MTPA is opaque -
    • it claims to be donations funded but you can't donate via the website
    • It appears that it is funded by one or a small number of HNWI
    • Josem refused to clarify the funding.
  • The activity of the MTPA seems minimal, considering Josem is paid a full-time wage. Leading many to be concerned that the MTPA is merely a mechanism for unknown people to pay him a wage whilst he's a full-time candidate. 
    • Josem has ample opportunity to dispel these fears but hasn't. 
    • He's dismissed voters asking these legitimate questions as anonymous trolls and blocked them on social media. 
  • He claims to want government transparency, but is far from transparent himself as the failure to provide details of who is funding him demonstrates. 
  • He seems to use volunteering to boost his profile. For example, there was a paid facebook promotion of him cleaning war graves. 
  • He uses Manx symbols in the very odd way, more reminiscent of nationalists in Europe and American politicians, than the way normal Manx people do. I mean what Manx person keeps a Manx flag on a pole in their house or office so they can be photographed in front of it?
  • He tried to use a cringey Corbyn-like slogan of "My pronouns are 'we' and 'us' not 'me' and 'I'" to sound all democratic and inclusive and ended up sounding anything but. 
    • cis people declare their preferred pronouns to avoid confusion and to normalise this process for Trans people. This is a nice thing to do. And Josem's slogan trivialises this. 
    • Reasonable people when errors like this happen would say sorry and change their slogan. No harm done
    • Josem took to social media claiming to be a victim of the Culture Wars like a Poundshop Stu Peters. 

So let's focus on Josem's unsuitability for now. 

And don't forget part of his schtick is "becoming Manx".  And yet despite living here for a decade, he chooses to take out German and not British citizenship. So much for his commitment to the British Isles of which we are part and to Brexit where he lobbied to deny the rest of us freedom of movement while then ensure he keeps his.

Wrong on Brexit
Wrong on transparency
Wrong on populism
Wrong for Douglas South
Wrong for Douglas East
Wrong for the Isle of Man.

As someone else pointed out somewhere: The island cannot afford to deny Manx charities their most prolific volunteer (ever!!) in order to sit in the House of Keys.

I don't give a toss about his flight footprint (many of us are in the same boat..or plane on that score), but his local actions, activities and antics make him the most unsuitable candidate running in Douglas East. Where I live , love and vote.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Peter Gilmour said:

Hi There

I'm Peter Gilmour. Here is my manifesto - and I hope you will take the time to read it.

Any questions - fire away 😀

Happy to answer.

Peter Gilmour Manifesto_East.pdf 861.99 kB · 5 downloads

1. Were you pro Brexit? A simple yes or no, please.
  2. Would you be supportive of the UK rejoining the European Union? Again, a simple yes or no. 
  3. What are these post-Brexit opportunities you speak of?

Edited by germann
Badly worded first question. Thanks to Mr Sausages for pointing this out!